The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

I was hoping everyone at the club was just waiting to get the Hamilton game out the way before turning their attentions to the mess from last week.  Don't think we are going to get the explanations we are looking for from the board or Mcglynn.  Seems the U-turn was due to the backlash rather than the board growing a moral compass all of a sudden.   The media blackout shows that its more likely they will bury their heads in the sand and hope this all dies down.  The recent rumours of the board having no remorse doesn't come as any surprise really if true.

This will never ever die down. Fans of other clubs wont let it. We'll be the subject of ridicule for decades. Imagine the build up to local derbies. We will never have the upper hand again. 

They all have to go. Every single one of them. 

1 hour ago, smpar said:

That could be quite dangerous. You’ve probably considered this but the club should do nothing of the sort without having her written consent first. I know she is already named in numerous sources, but she might not want that sort of attention on her. A good step would be for Raith to find out what she thinks would be a positive step in terms of public apologies/statements.

Similarly, I was thinking we might have to be a bit careful with the wording of any shirt sponsorship or messaging around the ground. Just thinking of some of our very youngest supporters (e.g. primary school age), who might not know what rape is and might not be ready for those kinds of conversations. I know a lot of parents and guardians have had to have some very difficult discussions over the last week.

I'm sure there's a way round it though, and I don't mean to come across as picking holes in what is a very good suggestion. I'd very much endorse us reaching out to work with Rape Crisis Scotland and others on their terms. We just need to make sure any actions that are made with good intentions don't end up back-firing.

31 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

You’re not wrong but unfortunately unless one of us wins the Euro Millions or a local benefactor wants to step up we’ve no way of ousting them all without killing the club in the short to medium 

I totally agree. Someone or a group has made a very bad error of judgement however trying to oust all them will only kill our club. Unless there is a rich individual or group then forcing John Sim out will damage the club to such an extend it will not survive. 

I'm sure moving forward things will be addressed through the media and I wouldn't be surprised if we have a charity on the front of our strips next season. In the short term we need to realise people make mistakes, move on and get behind the players that are at the club.

18 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
18 hours ago, GooseLips said:

And this is exactly why the deal took nearly a month to get over the line. Goodwillie apparently with the blessing of Raith Rovers wanted to wait until he was discharged of his debt so his signing on fee and increased wages didn’t go towards the victim. 

Big claim. Source?

9 minutes ago, GooseLips said:

That’s not the reason they need to go. Get a grip of yourself.

Me get a grip? You're the one making huge allegations with nothing to back it up.

We're all still waiting 🤣

27 minutes ago, Kuma Power said:

Similarly, I was thinking we might have to be a bit careful with the wording of any shirt sponsorship or messaging around the ground. Just thinking of some of our very youngest supporters (e.g. primary school age), who might not know what rape is and might not be ready for those kinds of conversations. I know a lot of parents and guardians have had to have some very difficult discussions over the last week.

I'm sure there's a way round it though, and I don't mean to come across as picking holes in what is a very good suggestion. I'd very much endorse us reaching out to work with Rape Crisis Scotland and others on their terms. We just need to make sure any actions that are made with good intentions don't end up back-firing.

That’s a good point. Maybe something like Women’s Aid then. There has to be some significant steps taken - but there will always be a sense that it’s just a PR stunt. Frankly, Sim and Co should be made to listen to accounts from rape victims to give them even a hint of what they’ve endorsed.

My suggestion in terms of an apology to Denise Clair is borne out of the fact she was in the papers directly talking about this whole sorry mess Rovers have created. A line that acknowledges how damaging and distressing this last 7 days must have been to her (even if it doesn’t name her) can’t be too much to ask. Can it? 

Don’t know the source but on the Clyde thread someone’s posted a newspaper story that seems to suggest Goodwillie did pay the £100,000 (taken from the sale of his home) that was ordered.  Unfortunately Denise Clair never saw a penny as it was eaten up by lawyers fees.  I’ve no idea if that’s accurate or not. I certainly know for Denise Clair it was never about the money but if that’s true the decision to move this window might not be as cynical as suggested.  Anyone able to confirm if he did pay the £100,000 or not? Seems to be confusion on that. 

22 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Would Robertson not have been liable for 50%. of compensation.?

Not a clue mate and I don’t have the facts to comment on who was ordered to pay what and how much they ended up paying. Wonder if Robertson is pissed at Goodwillie for bringing this all up again as he retired from the game and presumably was just getting on with his life. Not that I’ve any sympathy for him either. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

As an outsider (Morton Fan) I have to say that as much as the Raith BOD have come out of this episode badly, I think the backlash from Rovers’ fans and sponsors has woken people up to the double standards that exist in football. This response has made a UK wide impact in a way that I don’t think I’ve seen before in similar situations, where it’s been paid lip service and pretty much swept under the carpet. I say well done to the Raith Fans, Sponsors, Ladies Team and everyone else who’ve not just spoken out but have take brave and tangible stances by their actions.

13 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

As an outsider (Morton Fan) I have to say that as much as the Raith BOD have come out of this episode badly, I think the backlash from Rovers’ fans and sponsors has woken people up to the double standards that exist in football. This response has made a UK wide impact in a way that I don’t think I’ve seen before in similar situations, where it’s been paid lip service and pretty much swept under the carpet. I say well done to the Raith Fans, Sponsors, Ladies Team and everyone else who’ve not just spoken out but have take brave and tangible stances by their actions.

Raith Raver says thank you.

1 hour ago, Rover the Moon said:

That’s a good point. Maybe something like Women’s Aid then. There has to be some significant steps taken - but there will always be a sense that it’s just a PR stunt. Frankly, Sim and Co should be made to listen to accounts from rape victims to give them even a hint of what they’ve endorsed.

My suggestion in terms of an apology to Denise Clair is borne out of the fact she was in the papers directly talking about this whole sorry mess Rovers have created. A line that acknowledges how damaging and distressing this last 7 days must have been to her (even if it doesn’t name her) can’t be too much to ask. Can it? 

A lot to be concerned about this season before thinking about shirt sponsorship 

Need to be certain we have a club 

However as for Womans Aid on a shirt

Unfortunately as is often reported on tv and press Rape is not confined to Woman 

Men also suffer from this abuse

Kind of amazed by the amount of Clyde fans that seem to genuinely want Goodwillie back! Oh if only their board was that stupid.  A scenario where we gift him back cut our loses on the transfer fee and give him the difference between his salary would be Christmas for us. Surely no one at Clyde would be that dumb to think they could just have him back as if nothing has happened and nothing would be said.