The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

All depends what his part was.  One of the directors has already intimated it was less than most here had assumed all week.

He's the Manager, he would have been consulted, he didn't try and block the move though or threaten to resign if it went ahead. He was complicit even if he was not the main instigator. 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He's the Manager, he would have been consulted, he didn't try and block the move though or threaten to resign if it went ahead. He was complicit even if he was not the main instigator. 

You are, I’m afraid, correct. JMcG has pretty much destroyed his legacy at Raith with an, at least, ill-considered decision, if not more.

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Sounds like McGlynn is getting it fairly easy even though he must have been  involved in the decision to sign that player.  Can it be that Raith supporters are so fickle that they seem to overlook his part in this tawdry episode just because he's been a reasonably successful manager for them. 

If you go back a few pages you'll be able to read a fairly lengthy debate on this with various viewpoints.

But in short, those who have a bit of sympathy/goodwill for McGlynn feel that way not because of results on the park, but because of how good he has been for the club behind the scenes, not just in footballing matters.

And those that feel he needs to go feel that, as you say, he was complicit even if he wasn't the main instigator (which we don't know for sure).

2 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

If you go back a few pages you'll be able to read a fairly lengthy debate on this with various viewpoints.

But in short, those who have a bit of sympathy/goodwill for McGlynn feel that way not because of results on the park, but because of how good he has been for the club behind the scenes, not just in footballing matters.

And those that feel he needs to go feel that, as you say, he was complicit even if he wasn't the main instigator (which we don't know for sure).

His Jacket would surely be on a slack nail anyway with this run of results continuing

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

I think I'd rather get as much information and perspective about the whole thing before committing either way to how I feel at the moment it's a fucking mess. From what Bill Clark is saying even he doesn't know the fullness of events and he's on the board at the time.  

12 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

How do you know what Mcglynn did or didn't do? 

McGlynn has been a very good appointment for Raith Rovers and its probably natural that a section of their support will back him because of that, but I just wonder if you'd been down in the relegation area and had an Allan Johnston type record of results, if the support for him would have been so forgiving. 

There are some clubs run like that, where the chairman is basically playing fantasy football and his manager is more or less a lackey with far less say over transfer dealings than fans like to imagine. Think Jimmy Thomson under Alex Penman.

I've never got the impression that the current Raith set-up is like that, but others will know better than me. Did McGlynn identify Goodwillie as a target, or was he offered him and did he just say "well from a football point of view only he'd obviously be great, but whether that's a road you want to go down is a matter for the board"?

One scenario is less bad than the other, but I don't know if even that should be enough to save him, for me. Clark's comments have muddied the waters though.

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

How do you know what Mcglynn did or didn't do? 

I dont know, do you or any of the posters on this subject, but do you actually think he was clueless on this until the player's contract was signed and announced? 

I do wonder if Clark is coming at it from the perspective of being a Raith fan and seeing the work John has done over the last few seasons, knowing that we're unlikely to get anyone better.

Fans voting with their feet today. Throughout the January window, the club had been quite vocal about reaching 1500 season ticket holders. Attendance today: 1136. 

There is no way I'm having it that McGlynn want involved. He had to, at least, sign it off. And remember when he was asked weeks ago he didn't exactly deny it.

And if somehow he wasn't involved and was just told Goodwillie was coming in and that's that then that is equally worrying.

If you look at his comments when he was signed and then on Tuesday pre match I think it was clear McGlynn was more than happy to have him at the club

23 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I think I'd rather get as much information and perspective about the whole thing before committing either way to how I feel at the moment it's a fucking mess. From what Bill Clark is saying even he doesn't know the fullness of events and he's on the board at the time.  

Agreed. 

This will however require a full explanation from John McGlynn, who seems keen to avoid the matter. Similarly, Sim and the board need to front up as well and stop hiding. 

At this stage, I don't think that's a bad decision. We saw the fallout from Benedictus being sent out after Tuesday's game. 

The caveat to that is that there must be more communication from the club in the coming days. 

It shouldn't be for the players to answer for the actions of the board and, to whatever extent, the manager.