The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Nope, you’ve missed the point.

It’s not because he’s ‘done well for Raith’ in a footballing sense.
That’s the same as ‘he’ll score goals’.

It’s because of all the good he’s done around the club in general. He’s been a massive part of making the club the part of the community it has (had?) become.
He’s instilled a sense of pride at following this club. He’s worked hard at a million things that make the club better but are never seen on a Saturday afternoon (fixing roof racks on the minibus, sorting showers, painting changing rooms etc are all things that insiders have mentioned him doing).

It’s all these things that make us think he’s sitting in his house right now with his head in his hands wondering why he was so stupid, rather than fuming that he’s lost his star striker over a storm in a teacup.

Of course we don’t know which of those he’s feeling, we can only guess based on our judgement of his previous character- that’s why we need him to speak out.

And that’s why it’s not black and white for a lot of Raith fans.

All the reasons make it more inexplicable that he signed a rapist.

Had it just been another manager who spins round Scottish clubs then I could almost buy the "he wanted to get promoted at all costs" McGlynn by I think ever rovers fans admission gets the club and worked hard the the community. 

He chucked all that work and the work of many many other on the bonfire for goals.

For him to remain in post would be a mistake, hell even for him to remain in your "hall of fame" when others have left because of his actions is a joke.

15 minutes ago, Gigi Alabocheré said:

Your manager wanted to sign a rapist ya mad man. 

So did the managers of Falkirk, Partick and Livingston. Should they all be sacked for wanting to sign him too?

I went to Broadwood in our league one seasons. Should I be banned for contributing to his wages? Where does it all stop?

34 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I also wonder how many of the fans of other teams who are demanding we hound the manager out are being genuine in their comments or are actually here to try and add to the turmoil?

Aye, fans of the other teams also only wanted you to get rid of Goodwillie because he was a good striker, christ. 

3 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

So did the managers of Falkirk, Partick and Livingston. Should they all be sacked for wanting to sign him too?

I went to Broadwood in our league one seasons. Should I be banned for contributing to his wages? Where does it all stop?

Christ, now we've got Raith fans with the "Why wasn't such a fuss made when he signed for Clyde". 

We've came full circle. 

John McGlynn is a rape apologist, he is the prime reason Goodwillie is at your club, his pre and post match interviews were an absolute disgrace and an opportunity to apologise, to come clean. As it is if Goodwillie didn't have an injury he would've played for your club, and that's on McGlynn, because he's a rape apologist. 

At this moment I just can't see past how badly the board and management have messed up years of good work. 

We have an eminently likeable squad, the closeness between the supporters and the club was as good as it's been in decades and everyone seemed to be pushing in the right direction. 

People felt part of the club and finally we'd reached a true community feel about the place that had been talked about for years but never achieved. 

One ridiculous, unforgivable decision has ruined all of that and here we are back at square one again. 

John McGlynn has done great things for this club but he's every bit as culpable as the board. Maybe more so if he's pushed for that transfer to go through. 

Personally, I can't ever forgive that. 

20 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Weren’t Falkirk rumoured to be interested too? 

That’s been covered extensively so you know we bid for him but I don’t know what that’s got to do with me saying mcglynn should resign.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Otherwise, for me I think the most practical way out is to limp to the end of the season. Win enough to not get relegated and let McGlynn and Smith go at the end of their contracts.

In the meantime however, there needs to be quicker action in refashioning the board to allow for a rebuilding of the club from a corporate level and to quickly get in the hunt for a new management team. I don't imagine any half decent managent candidates would fancy working under the conditions part created by the current board.

So, in the short term I'd like McArtney to be told she is going with McGlynn and Smith, for Sim to accept he cannot continue as chairman and step back (we cannot realistically get rid of him) to increase the size of the board from the current 4 to 8, to add a second elected fans representative director - I don't care if the level of holding held by the trust is adequate or not, we are owed. The other two slots to include a new chairperson. Diversity of views within the Rovers community and a broader outlook should be paramount in choosing new representatives to run the club.

Fully agree with this. McGlynn and Smith take care of themselves and it's the board where the efforts need to be focused. Just incase the board think they can buy favour again by extending McGlynn and Smith - just don't bother. 

On Sim, it's further occurred to me as well that whilst he's now the Global Chair of an Accountancy firm, he was by trade an Auditor. He himself ought to know that his role as Chairman represents very bad corporate governance.

There's an article in The Courier today about our finances. As one may imagine, they are bad. Those culpable in this horrendous saga have gone and taken another massive shit on our balance sheet. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2977113/raith-rovers-david-goodwillie-finances-john-sim/

Edited by Michael W

I think it's disingenuous to suggest that the Rovers fans in this thread - most of whom have gone to some length to try and spell out their position - hope to find a way through this for John McGlynn because he's a good football manager. 

Now, obviously he is a good football manager and that's the reason why he's been here so long, but this isn't about keeping John McGlynn so we can win 2-0 next week, or put this behind us and get promoted next season. 

Someone asked if it would be the same if it was Gary Locke. And it wouldn't. Gary Locke would be hounded out the door immediately. As would any other Rovers manager of the last 20 years. Maybe that's hypocritical, if so, so be it. I think there's maybe two or three other managers in the country who could potentially make such a serious misjudgement and be offered some sliver of consideration. Dick Campbell, certainly. Maybe Jim McInally and Stewart Petrie? 

When it comes to John McGlynn, there's a huge cache of history that can be taken into account when judging his position. And that should be taken into account. 

Again, this is by no means letting John McGlynn off the hook. As of right now I'm still firmly in the camp that he should go. I won't be at Stark's on Saturday. 

I think the best course of action for everyone is probably that he announces he'll be stepping down at the end of the season. But if he's genuinely and sincerely sorry, if he can recognise the hurt that he's caused, and if he actually wants to stay, I think he's earned the right to be considered a part of the rebuild. 

I really don't think now is the time to get involved in whataboutery with other clubs.

Rovers are the only ones who pulled the trigger on the move. I understand the bias some people have but I think McGlynn's position is untenable and an apology is the bare minimum he could do. This time last week if you'd asked 99% of our fans and we'd probably be in statue building territory. He's completely tainted all the hard work he's done, and I can't express how disappointed I am that someone I had so much respect for thought that scoring goals was more important than the message that we were sending out.

53 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I also wonder how many of the fans of other teams who are demanding we hound the manager out are being genuine in their comments or are actually here to try and add to the turmoil?

32 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Weren’t Falkirk rumoured to be interested too? 

21 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Stunning levels of whataboutery here. Have you considered supporting one of the Old Firm?

27 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I mean including Livi in this is a little disingeneous. There was a twitter rumour and our CEO came out the very same day and said 'No fucking way while I'm in charge' and that was that.

29 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Bullshit.

From the outside looking in, the McGlynn situation is obviously a bit less clear cut for the Raith fans than Goodwillie and the board.

Perhaps a grovelling apology will enable him to see out the season. To continue the cheating spouse analogy, he'd be sleeping in the spare room until the couple get their shit together and go their separate ways.

50 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

From the outside I don’t think he should be sacked as that’s another pay off coming out of your club, he should be walking ( should’ve already) and not be taking a pay off.

I said this, even if fans are willing to give him a chance which I don’t agree with John McGlynn should be offering his resignation for what he’s caused here. We should not have to pay him off. I want all involved out the door to send the correct message out. I understand we can’t out them all tomorrow and some take longer than others as said we need replacements but McGlynn can go right now if he’s got the decency to resign. If he’s truly a club legend with our best interests at heart he’ll walk away like the people against this signing did.  

Whether McGlynn knew the damage he'd cause seems irrelevant to me. He signed someone he knew to have been found by a judge to have committed rape and had no problem with it, which is the issue every single raith fan has with the people running their club, even before the massive media and commercial spiral. 

Maybe I'm mistaken in my way of thinking but if I was a female raith fan and saw the man who sanctioned that signing in the dugout I'm not sure I could go and back a team managed by that person, regardless of what his previous accomplishments are. 

Rape apologists on twitter and this thread have been getting it tight all week and deservedly so for their awful opinions, so it doesn't sit well with me that one of the major players in this whole thing isn't held to account at the same standard for purely footballing reasons. 

I reckon McGlynn/Smith will see out the season then not renew their contracts, if another is put on the table for them, in the summer. Ultimately the rumours started last year re Goodwillie and the club/McGlynn/board will have been aware of the backlash that was coming out from the fans/sponsors etc and nothing more came of it - we had assumed they had seen sense. To then go ahead with the signing suggests McGlynn was ok with this. Whether he's had the wool pulled over his eyes by Sim that things might not kick of as much as they did is even more worrying. If he was being pressured by the board to sign a goalscorer and the suggestion was to re-look at Goodwillie then morally you'd have to assume McGlynn would have done what heaps of others have done and raised his concerns and said "if you push this through, knowing from December the outcry that came out of just rumours, without my consent then I'm away". McGlynn is only one person of several who need to be held to account. McGlynn/the board can't hide forever - they need to be seen as coming out publically to discuss things further imo.