The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’m genuinely confused watching yet another sponsor cut ties despite the U-Turn, what the hell did supposedly intelligent people like Sims and the board think would happen when they unveiled Goodwillie? I can understand they maybe thought a few goals and the fans will accept it (wrong), Val McDermid made it clear to the world she would walk surely they knew others would follow! No major business wants to be associated with Goodwillie a 10 year old could have worked out how this would pan out.  I don’t know if anyone has a plan (our board clearly didn’t) for a protest or something but we need to get the lot of them out ASAP.  The only goodwill coming our way is because the stand taken by the fans and staff but this will evaporate if the people responsible are left in charge. 

Well done to Rovers fans for illiciting this u turn. Now you just need to hound the decision makers out of your club.

What a way to shoot yourselves in the foot. It'll also cost a pretty penny what with paying up DG and lost sponsorship income. What a shambles.

7 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I’m genuinely confused watching yet another sponsor cut ties despite the U-Turn, what the hell did supposedly intelligent people like Sims and the board think would happen when they unveiled Goodwillie? I can understand they maybe thought a few goals and the fans will accept it (wrong), Val McDermid made it clear to the world she would walk surely they knew others would follow! No major business wants to be associated with Goodwillie a 10 year old could have worked out how this would pan out.  I don’t know if anyone has a plan (our board clearly didn’t) for a protest or something but we need to get the lot of them out ASAP.  The only goodwill coming our way is because the stand taken by the fans and staff but this will evaporate if the people responsible are left in charge. 

As some someone else said on here earlier, who in business would want to deal with a commercial director of questionable morals? (NOBODY)

Then take the Chairman the vice chairman and the club sec'y and ask firstly are they fit to represent our club on a moral basis (NO) and secondly having cost the club so much financially are they fit to take executive decisions? (NO).

At the very least Sim should stand down as chairman then take a step back from the football club,  the other 3 must simply resign. 

Their talk of rebuilding trust is pie in the sky and if they don't think so they are kidding themselves on. The only way to rebuild relations between the club and the community is with a new board that is trusted, the current incumbents have lost that trust, and IMO they wont regain it.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Manure Pooshited too.

Alex Shitsmith was another as I recall.

Can I also just say that 'Bene' is an absolutely rubbish nickname?  I know footballers are generally morons but can they ever come up with a nickname that takes more than five seconds to come up with?

3 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Alex Shitsmith was another as I recall.

Can I also just say that 'Bene' is an absolutely rubbish nickname?  I know footballers are generally morons but can they ever come up with a nickname that takes more than five seconds to come up with?

Dick?

Club captain Kyle Benedictus stated David Goodwillie had ‘the backing’ of the Raith Rovers players following his contentious arrival from Clyde.

I honestly can't believe the lack of balls these players have, i can just see it now. Raith Rovers have just signed the Yorkshire Ripper, club captain "he has the players full backing".  

I can't believe he would have been happy to play along side a rapist so why not come out and say so.

Edited by Welly boy

40 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Quality chap, I put the fucker on ignore,  gormless and completely ignorant twat 

I think this would be the best course of action tbh. He’s clearly just a creepy wee loner who enjoys the attention so if everyone ignores him then he’ll soon slither off.

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Exactly why the board and management needs to go.  Can’t blame TAG Games decision.  We’re lucky they are letting us keep this years.  

The below is the key parr: 

However, he added that the company "no longer believe the board and current management are capable of acting in the best interests of the club and the partnership we entered into".

The outside can see it as well - change is needed. 

21 minutes ago, Welly boy said:

Club captain Kyle Benedictus stated David Goodwillie had ‘the backing’ of the Raith Rovers players following his contentious arrival from Clyde.

I honestly can't believe the lack of balls these players have, i can just see it now. Raith Rovers have just signed the Yorkshire Ripper, club captain "he has the players full backing".  

I can't believe he would have been happy to play along side a rapist so why not come out and say so.

What else are they going to do? The transfer window is shut so if they refuse to play alongside him they don't play anywhere. Probably better to have said nothing at all, except that everybody would have read volumes into that.

That was a really good discussion on K107's pre-recording for the Saturday Sports show. I think the media focus will understandably die down over the next few days, but it's the Rovers fans who will be left to sift through the wreckage and figure out what the f**k we're going to do. We've known for years that John Sim has been the kingmaker and that his decision was final. I think it's time for our fans to start asking some very tough questions. There was a lot of talk on the show about the lack of diversity on the board. I'm not sure if @rentonwas listening in at all, but both myself and Margie Robertson (who joined later on) spoke about how there's a conflict of interest in the situation between Smith and McCartney. 

12 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That was a really good discussion on K107's pre-recording for the Saturday Sports show. I think the media focus will understandably die down over the next few days, but it's the Rovers fans who will be left to sift through the wreckage and figure out what the f**k we're going to do. We've known for years that John Sim has been the kingmaker and that his decision was final. I think it's time for our fans to start asking some very tough questions. There was a lot of talk on the show about the lack of diversity on the board. I'm not sure if @rentonwas listening in at all, but both myself and Margie Robertson (who joined later on) spoke about how there's a conflict of interest in the situation between Smith and McCartney. 

Is there really though?  I don’t think McCartney gets much of a say. She may be the CEO but she doesn’t run the club. She also doesn’t get to vote on board matters. I would agree it’s a strange set up however.

I’ve read a lot on the Goodwillie thing about how he never admitted his crime or sought forgiveness in order to deserve a second chance. I’m prepared to give the current BOD a chance to admit their mistakes and see what they aim to do to put things right before I lose complete faith in them.

The running of the club in recent years has been superb, let’s see what they can do now to rectify their own cluster f**k! Let’s be honest, we probably don’t have many others battering the door down to mount a takeover.

Edited by Jilted John

2 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
2 hours ago, Brother Blades said:
I’ve not commented on this thread since the news broke, I’ve no skin in the game but like many fans of other teams, initial reaction was shock & then sorrow for all right minded Raith fans & the further Kirkcaldy community in general.
I’ve enjoyed days out at Starks many moons ago & always enjoyed them.
My local team - Montrose - has deep seated links to the local area & is a true community club, as were Raith,  it’s a fantastic goal for any club to have & helps ensure the continued support, especially for lower league teams. I know how I would feel if it happened at Links Park.
I’ve a few comments to make.
What were the management & board thinking about even considering the signing initially? Mental!
What were they thinking even after the warnings when first mooted? Mental!
What were they thinking when they issued the statement doubling down on the decision? Mental!
What sort of communication is going on when the club captain defends the decision on footballing grounds in the press & a few short hours later is contradicted by a club statement? Mental.
Now! The really mental part of it, the guy I share a lift with to work had to leave early today due to illness, so I’ve had to get the train home, fortunately (I thought) it gave me time to have a couple of pints in a village pub before I jumped on the train. There were around 10 local guys in, discussing the whole thing, comments included-
“We’ve all done stupid stuff when we are drunk”
”The laddie has paid his debt & it was 10 years ago”
”That lassie was well compensated for a ride”
”They made a documentary about the other guy managing a team in Pakistan & there wasn’t an uproar about that!” - must admit this just confirmed my initial thoughts that nobody knew what they were talking about. 
“That Sturgeon has ruined the boys career”
I’d like to say I took the whole pub on & walked out a hero, I didn’t. I simply said to the barmaid, are you happy to work here amongst a bunch of guys who think rape is ok? Then I left.
This is not a football issue, it’s a society issue, I’m disgusted with the things I’ve heard today, as I thought we’d moved on a little. 
The Raith & perhaps Man U debacles have really brought things into focus in the last week, but! I’ll wager that after things settle down, there’ll be less & less focus on these issues. I’d like to see mandatory sexual violence awareness courses in EVERY workplace, I’d like to see football embracing this issue as they quite correctly do, racism.
Im shocked by how backward we still are when it comes to human decency. 
Good luck to Raith fans & well done to all fans of other clubs who supported them. 

Wrong David Robertson, brother blades.

I'm sort of guessing that was part of the point being made, but I may be wrong !

I'm afraid that anyone hoping that a scenario arises where McGlynn can be absolved of wrong doing here is almost certainly kidding themselves. 

There was an article in the Courier which said that McGlynn identified Goodwillie as his number one target and there is also the confirmation from McDermid that we tried to sign him a couple of years back when she was still on the board. 

It's a gross misjudgement, and that's putting in its very best light. 

I doubt he'll resign but he'll surely leave in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm afraid that anyone hoping that a scenario arises where McGlynn can be absolved of wrong doing here is almost certainly kidding themselves. 

There was an article in the Courier which said that McGlynn identified Goodwillie as his number one target and there is also the confirmation from McDermid that we tried to sign him a couple of years back when she was still on the board. 

It's a gross misjudgement, and that's putting in its very best light. 

I doubt he'll resign but he'll surely leave in the summer. 

I think you could be right about the summer resignation. 

I have a lot of time for Mcglynn like we probably all do. I’d like to think it was a gross misjudgment, I don’t think any of us really thought it would go as nuclear as it did. I think he and the board looked at Clyde and thought it would eventually slip away to a few boos from opposition supporters.

it’s what these guys do next that will determine what lessons have been learned. I’d like to see us use Rape Crisis Scotland as our shirt sponsors next season to replace the ones we lost for starters.