The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Dysart said:

The manager, directors, and lying CEO should all go, the damage already done won't be sorted by one statement from Sim.

Bit off topic 

But what about Celtic board denying Celtic boys club with child rape cases are the same entity

Similarly morally corrupt board 

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The average football dressing room- just like any group- will have a range of abilities and plenty of bright folk, regardless of their employment.

Of course it will, because there are thousands of individuals being selected from a very broad cross-section. The relevant question is whether the average (or median) professional footballer fits the stereotype - which they absolutely do.

There's no good reason to doubt this, given that all of society's carrots and sticks are currently geared towards awarding them status and a career based on their ability to kick a ball around alone, from a ludicrously young age. Which also explains why so many professional footballers (and other athletes) struggle badly when their career ends. This reality cannot be explained away by producing individual exceptions. 

It's a one-way snobbery, too. I'm a very poor footballer but on the odd occasion where I've played fives or had a kick about with an ex-pro or a junior player on the park they've been nothing but encouraging. Imagine if pro footballers sneered at amateurs the way academic people sneer at the "thick". If we got even 10% of the contempt some of us show to the academically non-gifted we'd put our kit on e-bay and never go near football again.

If you don't think that they're sneering at others within their profession then you're probably not looking too hard.

The performance of total amateurs is not relevant to their profession, in the same way that (most) professionals do not spend their time mocking lay people who can't do their job. Professional historians for example do not walk into local history societies to give it the big licks over Clive (60) and his latest findings. 

Edited by vikingTON

Sack McGlynn? Who's going to sack him, the only board members left are the ones who signed off on Goodwillie in the first place. 
They should all resign and walk away with nothing if they've a shred of decency in them. Doubtful.

In all honesty, I think mcglynn will see out the season and walk at the end of his contract.

A lot of people saying goodwillie is the only winner out of this, but the teams around us might be beneficiaries as well. An Implosion at the club at a time we are still pushing for promotion. I am not sure what the reaction on the field by the players will be. The decision to ditch him might galvanise them or they may be scunnered by the whole thing.

I'm in now way knowledgable in football tranfers. However, how many steps do you have to go through between identfiying a target and having them parade about with a scarf over their head?

The manager would have to hold discussuions with his staff about the potential of bringing a player in.

The man would then have to take his ltargets to the board.

The board would thenm have to discuss said targets.

The board then have to narrow the shortlist of targets down.

The board then have to contact the club that said target plays for to strike a deal with them.

After agree a deal with the club, the board would then have to deal with the player/agent on the terms of the deal.

The player would then have to sign a contract, makuing it all official.

How in the f**k did this go through all of those steps without anyone at Roversthinking "Is this a wise move? Maybe let's not go ahead with this."

2 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Lastly, on the fan contributions. I, like many others cancelled my Raith Supporters und Direct Debit and the Raith Lottery etc. I knew this could sink the club but felt that it was the only option to force change. But no doubt this will cost the club - and we in the end want a thriving RR. So, now that we are in a place to move forward, I am going to suggest to my group that we re-start these DD and send them to our 'treasurer' (my dad!) so that this money can be handed over to the club at a point when the deserve it i.e. once changes are made. (idea inspired from Raith Down South, who I believe mentioned this in their statement).

This is key. Hank Scorpio made a great point on the same subject, too. 

The various supporters groups should still establish the Fighting Fund that was mooted. The Supporters Fund, such as it was, is no longer a viable option for me. The club leadership cannot be trusted with our money, that much is clear. 

Let us take the money we were contributing, in lottery tickets and fund donations, and pool it under a shared supporters banner. That money can then be provided to the club as and when it is required, but no longer can that donation be made without caveats. It must be in exchange for a share in the club. It might only be 0.01% at a time, but so be it. 

I'd hope that there are serious discussions now ongoing to reconcile the club with all those who resigned or withdrew support on the back of this. This will have to result in resignations/ sackings but who has to go will depend on what reconciliation we want and what demands are placed. I would imagine but the quicker we treat that wound the quicker it will heal.

I think I'm now happy to go to the game on Saturday. My primary concern was that DG would become a hero of my kids for being a footballer, that will never happen now and I'm so grateful.

My contribution to the players fund will remain cancelled until I have faith that the decision being made are right for the club. At present that would mean until the 4 directors, McGlynn and Smith are gone but that could change depending on the detail surrounding the deal being released and it showing any of these in better light than they currently appear.

I would happily transfer my player fund to a legal fund to find a way of getting rid of Goodwillie with as little money going to him as possible. There must be legal employment loopholes or even downright dirty tricks we could exploit to ensure this c**t gets a pittance. 

I think on reflection, my overwhelming reaction is relief. I barely slept last night thinking over it all. It really was a bereavement, everyone on here knows the feeling of pointlessly following a shitty football team through their made-up league, and the sheer joy that it brings when you win your meaningless trophies. It’s brilliant. My life revolves around it and it always has.

That was gone and I really don’t know how I’d have coped. Obviously, the problem hasn’t disappeared. John McGlynn is my footballing hero, on Monday morning I’d have given him a lifetime contract and built a statue myself. Mr Raith Rovers. It really hurt to see him booed on Tuesday night but the worst part was he deserved it. Is there a way back for him? I honestly don’t think there is. Possibly a teary interview from the heart could win me round but the rational part of me knows that’s my bias speaking. Heartbreaking.

The board? Well, if the four that voted to sign Goodwillie were to quit today then we’re left with literally zero directors, and John Sim (one of the four) gains full control as owner. That helps nobody. Clearly we need the two forced out back as a first step - if they’re willing. New blood would be great but that’s easier said than done. But, clearly heads need to roll. Morgan, McDonald, Sinton. Gone sooner rather than later I hope. Karen McCartney too. In the long-run we need to be considering how to get rid of Sim but that genuinely is a long-term project.

I’m not totally sure yet if I’ll go on Saturday. I probably will. And I’m under no illusion this entire thing has been anything other than a disgrace from start to finish - on the park it’s set us back years, off the park it’s tarnished our name forever and caused a lot of upset and hurt, to a lot of people.

But today is the first step to recovery. And, very selfishly, thank f**k for that.

4 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

In all honesty, I think mcglynn will see out the season and walk at the end of his contract.

A lot of people saying goodwillie is the only winner out of this, but the teams around us might be beneficiaries as well. An Implosion at the club at a time we are still pushing for promotion. I am not sure what the reaction on the field by the players will be. The decision to ditch him might galvanise them or they may be scunnered by the whole thing.

We deserve everything that’s coming. For me if we survive relegation that’ll do for me. Hopefully we can sort this shit show out. f**k knows how we do it. Palpatine has to be ousted too. 

So everyone is OK about this now? I certainly am not. I didn't want him playing for the club but now it seems we are going to have to pay off his entire contract as well as the ridiculous transfer fee and free him so he can get another contract elsewhere. What an absolute fucking shambles. And this comes after the club have done nothing but beg for money from fans for the last few years and you get mugs like me who work in low paying jobs who dip into their pocket time and time again. And for what? To fund this shite? 

I won't be putting another penny of my money into the club unless Sim and the other directors at fault personally take the financial hit on this or until Sim fucks off. 

I'm a bit more forgiving when it comes to the players not because I agree with their stance and comments of Bene but because I am pretty sure any other team's dressing room would have accepted this signing the same way ours has. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves on. 

Edited by RR #1

1 minute ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I'm in now way knowledgable in football tranfers. However, how many steps do you have to go through between identfiying a target and having them parade about with a scarf over their head?

The manager would have to hold discussuions with his staff about the potential of bringing a player in.

The man would then have to take his ltargets to the board.

The board would thenm have to discuss said targets.

The board then have to narrow the shortlist of targets down.

The board then have to contact the club that said target plays for to strike a deal with them.

After agree a deal with the club, the board would then have to deal with the player/agent on the terms of the deal.

The player would then have to sign a contract, makuing it all official.

How in the f**k did this go through all of those steps without anyone at Roversthinking "Is this a wise move? Maybe let's not go ahead with this."

It's an interesting exercise in group think.

Let's start with McGlynn as a man of narrow interests and a blinkered view point. 

Apart from his fitness coaches and physio who he probably doesn't consult for first team matters his only real point of contact is his assistant manager who's been with him for 12 years over two spells and never been any where else in football really, nor has ambitions to step up to be his own man. 

You have a CEO who doesn't sit on the board but runs the day to day operations and is a woman (which you'd hope would provide a counter point to the whole sorry affair) but is married to the assistant manager.

You have the chairman who is aggressively pursuing promotion, is not emotionally attached to his manager and hasn't offered him an extension yet, despite there only being another half season to go. He's also at a remove from the situation not being permanently domiciled here and living in Thailand.

The rest of the board are, as we'll see - divided. However at least one of those is extremely close to Sim already (Sinton) and another who I'm convinced is a senile old fuckwit (Morgan). Most of the board would be described as hard nosed white, middle aged businessmen. 

So I can kind of see how, a blinkered manager under pressure to get the result would offer up the name to the chairman who would see it in the same narrow footballing/finances from promotion terms and ram it down the throats of a compliant board. The CEO who could have offered an independent and critical analysis was in fact not independent probably backing her husband's position which in turn was simply McGlynns.

An uninterrupted, positive feedback loop.

I genuinely feel a massive sense of relief, although I know in my head that only half the battle has been won. The board first of all, need to go as soon as possible. The way they have treated OUR club is nothing short of disgraceful.

After so many years under Alan Young and Eric Drysdale ripping the utter piss (loaning out Vaughany, Ryan Stevenson playing in goal are just a couple of examples) it finally felt like we had our club back under Bill Clark and co.

I desperately hope Mr Clark and Mr Mill return to the board when we get rid of the rats that are currently sat there. They have showed over the last few years that they really do care about the club. Who knows where we’d be if Clark wasn’t fighting for us during the first lockdown. 

As for McGlynn and Smudger, I am at a serious crossroad. My head desperately wants them out, as what McGlynn has done is unforgivable. But also feeling like I don’t want it to end this way. I do however feel we will see them depart soon.

What I’d also like to say is the treatment of Benedictus, our club captain is utter ridiculous here. He could’ve and should’ve been advised that Goodwillie wasn’t going to play for the Rovers, and he has made himself look like a bad guy in this story. I really hope he isn’t given dogs abuse for this, stick to shouting at him for making howlers. 

Will this be the end of Raith? Most likely not. Will it be a long and difficult road back to regain the trust of fans and get them back on side? I seriously hope it is. 

(Buy the club Val!!)

Taken me all morning to get to the last page lol, delighted that the sacifices of ouf sponsors , volunteers, fans, the media, and supporters of other clubs, have forced the clubs heirachy to see some long overdue sense, albeit on the surface. But the damage and stain on the good name of the Football Club will last for a very long time, and the financial hit for next season will be enormous unless the sponsors and everyone else who contributes to the club can feel they can return, which I very much doubt they all will, add to that the paying up of a contract unless its out of someone elses pocket then next season could be a tough one

As I see it, the following should now happen 

The management team should see the season out, their contract expires in June and should not be renewed

The Liars at the club should go and go now, along with the 3 directors.......... Sim is a dificult one given his holdings

There should be more than one fans director on the board, with a long term view to at least getting control of RRFC

2 minutes ago, renton said:

It's an interesting exercise in group think.

Let's start with McGlynn as a man of narrow interests and a blinkered view point. 

Apart from his fitness coaches and physio who he probably doesn't consult for first team matters his only real point of contact is his assistant manager who's been with him for 12 years over two spells and never been any where else in football really, nor has ambitions to step up to be his own man. 

You have a CEO who doesn't sit on the board but runs the day to day operations and is a woman (which you'd hope would provide a counter point to the whole sorry affair) but is married to the assistant manager.

You have the chairman who is aggressively pursuing promotion, is not emotionally attached to his manager and hasn't offered him an extension yet, despite there only being another half season to go. He's also at a remove from the situation not being permanently domiciled here and living in Thailand.

The rest of the board are, as we'll see - divided. However at least one of those is extremely close to Sim already (Sinton) and another who I'm convinced is a senile old fuckwit (Morgan). Most of the board would be described as hard nosed white, middle aged businessmen. 

So I can kind of see how, a blinkered manager under pressure to get the result would offer up the name to the chairman who would see it in the same narrow footballing/finances from promotion terms and ram it down the throats of a compliant board. The CEO who could have offered an independent and critical analysis was in fact not independent probably backing her husband's position which in turn was simply McGlynns.

An uninterrupted, positive feedback loop.

Seems crazy that mcglynn would be under any pressure at Raith. He got them out league one without having the biggest budget and is competing at the top of the league against clubs with bigger budgets so God knows what's really expected of him there.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

This specific point is more an appalling journalist issue than a Raith Rovers issue, but here's a take as bad as anything in this thread.

IMG-20220203-WA0030.thumb.jpg.2f77d312f836faf03bd4001be4de1d2a.jpg

How can you rehabilitate someone who's main concern after their horrific actions is about the car they drive and where they stay.