The New Raith Rovers Thread

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No, he would have no grounds whatsoever. The reason he might lose out on future earnings is because of his own actions, namely that he is a rapist, not that Raith Rovers signed him.

I’m not sure that’s how contract law works champ. Raith would’ve had full disclosure of his history prior to offering him a contract.

By then breaching said contract, Raith could find themselves in a spot of bother.

Had he raped someone whilst employed by Raith, it would be an entirely different scenario.

I’m not defending DG by any stretch of the imagination, he is a rapist and an absolute scumbag.

I’m not sure that’s how contract law works champ. Raith would’ve had full disclosure of his history prior to offering him a contract.
By then breaching said contract, Raith could find themselves in a spot of bother.
Had he raped someone whilst employed by Raith, it would be an entirely different scenario.
I’m not defending DG by any stretch of the imagination, he is a rapist and an absolute scumbag.

I don't think there's been any suggestion that Raith are going to breach his contract.

11 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

The club has been driven into a moral abyss at 100mph over the last two or three days. 

This morning's announcement is the first step in a long walk back. 

I don't know where I go from here. I'm still digesting this latest development, but I remain heavily conflicted.

Choosing to boycott the Rovers was a decision that I'd only just stated to come to terms with, and I can only describe it as a loss. That's how it's felt. There is a huge, huge part of me that wants to put this whole debacle behind me and go back to watch the football team that I love. 

Someone else used the metaphor of a cheating spouse. That really chimed with me. The betrayal is one thing, but it also just came completely out of the blue. I trusted Raith Rovers implicitly. The leadership at the club made all the right noises and seemed to have the best intentions, and then this happened. 

I don't think I can go back. Not yet. Certainly not to home games. I'm really not sure I can go at all while John McGlynn is still in place. He has tarnished his reputation to a degree I honestly would not have thought possible less than a week ago. 

Further amends need to be made. I'd like to see a significant donation made by the club to an appropriate charity. I'd like there to be resignations from those who made the decision, and reinstatements for those who walked away, if they're willing to return. I'd like to see a new board, one that isn't just old, white men. I'd like to see evidence of education within the club on the effects of sexual violence and violence against women. 

Whatever happens, I won't be back at Stark's Park this season. Next season, right now, is up for grabs. The club are in complete control of whether or not I return. 

Ultimately, though, there will not be a rapist running out in a Raith Rovers jersey, and after the last few days, that's a bigger win for the supporters than any cup final or league championship. 

I hope it’s enough for you to at least return the Raith back to your username!

7 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

f**k me. I've only just seen the Kyle Benedictus 'Goodwillie has the backing of the team' story.

There's not been a single winner - other than Goodwillie - in all of this sorry fiasco.

Rovers are a laughing stock and will be massivley out of pocket over the whole thing.

McGlynn, the board who sanctioned the move and now seemingly the Rovers squad are nothing more than apologists for a rapist.

The club statement reeks of "we're sorry you are angry that we signed a rapist", rather than being genuinely sorry for signing a rapist.

The Rovers support and advertisers will feel badly let down and compoletely lack any trust in those who run the club.

A fucking mental statre of affairs that was entirely predictable before the move even happened.

Proper mental stuff.

I'm maybe being a bit harsh on footballers, but it's not really surprising that a group of men who (presumably) spent most of their childhood and teens learning how to excel at a physical sport (and presumably didn't focus too much on academics) perhaps aren't the sharpest tools and don't have the nous to look at the case in detail.

Just now, onecowden said:

The Raith Rovers board are trying to right a wrong. Surely that’s a good thing. Maybe cut them some slack. Don’t all shout at once.

They were told not to sign him - then signed him anyway.

There was a furious backlash - they released a statement saying “We don’t care because he’ll score goals”.

They deserve zero credit and should all be removed from their positions.

1 hour ago, Flemboflem said:

I have been struggling the past few days to fully digest this news.

I feel like I have been cheated on by a loved one.  The other night I couldn't sleep and I was just lying there reminiscing about the good times of supporting Raith I have had.
Being Glasgow born and bred I have always had a sort of pride in telling people who I support when prompted and educating the "aye but who is your big team" follow up questions.
I think this is gone.  Reputation in tatters. 

I feel so sorry for the other players on the team that I feel the allegiance to and love watching and cheering.  I suspect many were as shocked as we were when the news dropped.

I was keen to pop down the road to cheer them on at Celtic Park but I really don't think I can do this anymore, that is even with my assumption Goodwillie is cuptied.

I am at a loss as to where we go from here as a club and where I go as a fan.

I know it must be a difficult time for all fans of Raith Rovers.

If you think you are hurting, just try and imagine what those two guys did to that girl. She and her family went through hell. She had the courage to stand up for what she believed in and turned down three out of court settlements to get the truth out there. The only thing that kept her alive was the love of her daughter.

IIRC Denise was the first women to get a successful civil court judgement in her favour. There are so many rape cases in our society that never even get a police charge. 

It took years for Denise to get the truth out there. You need to take strength from her battle and unite as supporters and take direct action to remove those individuals responsible for this decision.

So many Scottish football fans are behind you.

We all have mothers, sisters and daughters.

Let’s all unite and put rivalries to one side. Denise and millions of other rape survivors are watching us.

Let us all try and make a difference.

I know it will be hard, but one of the first things you can do right now is to stop attending games home and away. Protest outside instead.

It will be a long hard road. You only need to look at how long it took Denise and her family.  

Look at how long it took the Liverpool fans to get the truth about Hillsborough. Even then how did Duckenfield not get charged?

You will get your club back and you will appreciate it even more. But you must remove the cancer within your club.

16 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

The club has been driven into a moral abyss at 100mph over the last two or three days. 

This morning's announcement is the first step in a long walk back. 

I don't know where I go from here. I'm still digesting this latest development, but I remain heavily conflicted.

Choosing to boycott the Rovers was a decision that I'd only just stated to come to terms with, and I can only describe it as a loss. That's how it's felt. There is a huge, huge part of me that wants to put this whole debacle behind me and go back to watch the football team that I love. 

Someone else used the metaphor of a cheating spouse. That really chimed with me. The betrayal is one thing, but it also just came completely out of the blue. I trusted Raith Rovers implicitly. The leadership at the club made all the right noises and seemed to have the best intentions, and then this happened. 

I don't think I can go back. Not yet. Certainly not to home games. I'm really not sure I can go at all while John McGlynn is still in place. He has tarnished his reputation to a degree I honestly would not have thought possible less than a week ago. 

Further amends need to be made. I'd like to see a significant donation made by the club to an appropriate charity. I'd like there to be resignations from those who made the decision, and reinstatements for those who walked away, if they're willing to return. I'd like to see a new board, one that isn't just old, white men. I'd like to see evidence of education within the club on the effects of sexual violence and violence against women. 

Whatever happens, I won't be back at Stark's Park this season. Next season, right now, is up for grabs. The club are in complete control of whether or not I return. 

Ultimately, though, there will not be a rapist running out in a Raith Rovers jersey, and after the last few days, that's a bigger win for the supporters than any cup final or league championship. 

Good post.  Hoping you can make it back to Starks in time.  I’m sure changes are coming, and the idea of a charitable donation is a good one 

3 minutes ago, onecowden said:

The Raith Rovers board are trying to right a wrong. Surely that’s a good thing. Maybe cut them some slack. Don’t all shout at once.

You know it was them that, despite being told by their fan base and major sponsor under no circumstances proceed with this signing, they did so anyway. 

They and the management are going to be hounded and rightly so.

Imagining that Raith boardroom over the last few days, 4 dinosaurs, the air thick with indignation, mumbling about 'football decisions', the discovery that the fans and the sponsors weren't bluffing, the dawning realisation what that the volunteers walking away meant.

I would like to think the reaction from just Raith fans has led to the turnaround but in reality they would have known this would happen and had warnings from when the club were previously linked and the statement the club put out on Tuesday furthers this point. As such, I dont think they really care about fan opinion and were hoping after a couple goals it would all die down. I wrote to the club and SLO on Tuesday and Margie informed me she had passed my email directly to Macartney and Sim, whether they read it is anyone's guess.

What I don't think they were bargaining on was the news going national and international with such global outrage over it. They would have known about Val McDermid pulling her funding and probably thought they could offset this with new funding and sponsors once promotion was achieved. However the coverage has probably meant no company would come anywhere near the club. 

This added in with mass walkouts from volunteers affecting the ability of the club to operate is probably what has made them go back. RaithTV especially walking away will have hurt the club immeasurably. 

As before, I won't be back until the management team and board are gone. Wider changes are needed and in an ideal world the club will also provide a substantial donation to a women's charity.

I would like to comend the effort of all staff, volunteers and supporters of Raith Rovers who have made a stand and let their feelings be known. Thank you as well to all other supporters of other clubs (minus a few absolute roasters) for keeping this story alive and pressuring the club from all corners in unison with Raith supporters. 

Hopefully there's a local business person or two who will now look to possibly launch a bid to takeover to allow the club to progress from this.