The New Raith Rovers Thread

Chairman Update David Goodwillie

printer.png

Thursday February 3rd 2022

I firstly want to apologise wholeheartedly to our fans, sponsors, players and the wider Raith Rovers community for the anguish and anger caused over the past few days.

We got it wrong.

In reaching our original decision, we focused far too much on football matters and not enough on what this decision would mean for our club and the community as a whole.

Over the past couple of days, we listened carefully to the fans who have got in touch and I’m very grateful for their honesty. As chairman, as a board and as a management team, we have all learned a hard but valuable lesson.

This very unfortunate episode is something that we all bitterly regret and we are now wholly committed to making things right. I can therefore confirm that, following a meeting of the Raith Rovers board, the player will not be selected by Raith Rovers and we will enter into discussions with the player regarding his contractual position.

We share a desire to do what is best for our club and will be doing everything in our power to regain the trust and confidence of the Raith Rovers family.

Chairman
On Behalf of the Board of Raith Rovers FC

A step in the right direction for the club and noticeable that they've signed off this statement. Still not enough for me to go back, the management team and board can still get to f**k. 

I imagine it will be enough to bring some others back to the club however.

Just now, Michael W said:

The board can still f**k off btw. 

Absolutely, and McGlynn and Smith should still be moved on at the end of the season, as unfortunate as that is.

For me though, I'm just happy I can go and support the players on the pitch who don't deserve any of this shambles.

1 minute ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Will the folk that have resigned and the sponsors come back?

I'd imagine that if DG is punted, McGlynn and the board go, then maybe they'll return eventually. Although I fear for the Raith community that their club have done some very serious damage here. Recovery may take a long long time.

I’m not surprised at Benedictus tbh. Besides his previous indiscretions, there seems to be an unwritten rule that dressing rooms will stick together and protect players. There’s a fair chance that there will be some players that will be unhappy with the signing but won’t speak up out of fear of losing their job.

Just now, Michael W said:

This climbdown is almost certainly a result of the club's volunteers, one by one, resigning and letting the club know this is not acceptable. 

To all of you - you're amazing. 

I think it's down to anyone and everyone associated with Raith Rovers who have stood up and said this signing is not on. Be it sponsors, volunteers, fans or the women's football team, other off field staff (and anyone I've missed).

Well done to each and every one of you.