The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Notice the distinct lack of comment or opinion from any fellow professionals in Scotland. Do any of them have a backbone ?

The worrying thing is that a fair number of them probably think he hasn't done anything wrong and think the outrage is down to the 'woke brigade' etc and that he was just being "one of the lads, could have happened to anyone with a wee dirty"

I base this not just simply on the fact he was made Clyde skipper and seemed a popular team mate and the lack of comment as you say -but being a 38 year old who played boys club / amateur for 30 years in Ayrshire and knowing a worrying amount at that level plus a few who went on to play senior who would 100% be in the "boys night out, she was asking for it" brigade.   

Worryingly a lot of the younger lads coming through seem to still have this attitude - there's more awareness now about #metoo etc but on the other hand it's easier to send shit out via WhatsApp etc so stuff that would have seemed unimaginable when I was 15 / 16 is just par for the course now.  

f**k Goodwillie, Sim, McGlynn, Raith, and all the rest of them. 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

I don't know of any. 14:00 is still too late for any of that I would think. I'm not involved with the Facebook group that posted it. I'm just sharing the information here, in the hope we can get something going as a fan base.

Yeah 12.30/1 to catch directors and players I suspect 

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

f**k that, lessons learnt, as a volunteer this is not the return that I foresee.

Totally respect that. That’s why I said think about returning. For some it’ll probably be over for good or at least until McGlynn and Sim are gone and would totally understand and respect that choice. It’s going to be a long, hard build back after this. 

Edited by roverthemoon

Right according to the Dundee Courier the deal was forced through mainly at the behest of the chairman. It goes on to say Mssrs Mill and Clark voted against the signing and the vote was carried by Sim, Sinton, Morgan and MacDonald.

The player in question was on a wage of £1000/week at Clyde. The Rovers paid a 5 figure fee reputed by one source to be £50,000 and by another to be £62,000.

For the four fools who have brought calamitous disrepute upon our club there is surely only but one path off the road to perdition.

Not counting the inevitable and ongoing loss of revenue from sponsors, hospitality and fans this will so far cost the club £50-62k in transfer fees and a minimum of £130,000 in future wages for a player I'm now willing and happy to surmise will never pull on a Raith shirt and play a game for Raith Rovers.

By my reckoning the four above named and remaining members of the Raith board now need to tear up all contracts and make recompense. I would think personal cheques for about £45-50k will be sufficient. So recompense the club for the transfer fee and then deal with the contract.  You might save a few bob there, if you are as willing to deal with the devil as you clearly were you might be able to negotiate a lesser fee to release him.

By an insane lack of insight you have potentially driven my club to the brink.

Do the decent thing then get out.

55 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Actually surprised McGlynn hasn’t fallen on his sword and resigned. Don’t get me wrong he’s 100% responsible for the transfer but he must have seen the backlash and the people resigning are people he’ll know personally in and around the club. He’s got 1 chance to salvage any shred of dignity from this but only by admitting he got this monumentally wrong and resigning before he fields Goodwillie.  He could claim he only looked at football reasons or some other hollow BS.  The second he fields Goodwillie he’s got zero comeback.  

What's the team talk going to be if he starts Goodwillie on Saturday?

"Go on Davie son, all these c***s giving you abuse, away out and shut them up.  You there Dario and Jamie - help him by getting the assists in - you'll get the video clip on Sky Sports News easy".    

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

What's the team talk going to be if he starts Goodwillie on Saturday?

"Go on Davie son, all these c***s giving you abuse, away out and shut them up.  You there Dario and Jamie - help him by getting the assists in - you'll get the video clip on Sky Sports News easy".    

Never going to happen but if come Saturday he’s playing I’d love to see 10 players refuse to pass to Goodwillie for 90 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Never going to happen but if come Saturday he’s playing I’d love to see 10 players refuse to pass to Goodwillie for 90 minutes. 

Aye I totally agree.  The fact that deep down we all know that most of the players will probably have been happy at the signing as he is a decent player and will only speak out if they feel its good for their reputation based on the backlash (and assuming their agent has a loan move lined up) is really depressing.  And that's as a football fan and nothing to do with any particular Raith players. 

Edited by Hursty

54 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Everyone who sanctioned the deal,whether they brokered the deal,were ,involved in negotiation,voted for it,are culpable

From the Courier

The decision was left on the table of John Sim.

The Bangkok-based Rovers chairman, and owner of both the club and Stark’s Park, gave a firm green light to the deal.

“The belief is that this is the season for Raith Rovers to win promotion, and all the financial rewards of being in the Premiership,” an anonymous source told Courier Sport.

“It’s being driven by John Sim and, with the belief that David Goodwillie can be the difference between promotion and staying in the Championship, he is willing to risk the consequences.”

This possibly the most mind boggling thing for me. Goodwillie cost about £50k, will be on at least that per year on a 2.5 year deal. Bonus/signing on fees, etc it's at least.. £200k all in. Losing major sponsors for next year, fans this year and god knows what other financial setbacks this signing has cost now and in the future let's say... £350k. Minimum cost all in for signing Goodwillie and all the fall out. 

Could they not just have spent a quarter million on a really good striker who isn't a rapist? 

ETA: that striker would probably be more likely to get them promoted than a perma-injured 33 year old who hasn't played full time football since Rangers were a thing.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

This possibly the most mind boggling thing for me. Goodwillie cost about £50k, will be on at least that per year on a 2.5 year deal. Bonus/signing on fees, etc it's at least.. £200k all in. Losing major sponsors for next year, fans this year and god knows what other financial setbacks this signing has cost now and in the future let's say... £350k. Minimum cost all in for signing Goodwillie and all the fall out. 

Could they not just have spent a quarter million on a really good striker who isn't a rapist? 
But mcglynn wanted to sign him...

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

No fan of Sturgeon, but as a Raith fan I’m absolutely fucking delighted she’s weighing in on this. Keeps it in the news and the pressure on the fuckwits who have just shat on our club

I am not a fan either, however, the reaction to the January restrictions and edict made me further question her sanity, seeing as Jason (a supposed scientist) couldn't bring a scientific reason to bare in his decision for the limited attendance at outdoor events.

I wonder if anyone will see anything on Saturday, without Raith Tv and potentially without volunteers to operate turnstiles etc how are any fans that wish to going to get in. I suppose the club could pay people but only if they were willing to take the job. Being the devils advocate even the stewards could say they don't want to work there. The bad 4 BoD have fucked our club.

The fact that there is still no further comment coming from within Starks Park suggests to me they are perhaps a last beginning to grasp the gravity of what they've done.

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Val Mcdermid must have put a fair bit in 5 figure maybe 6, rovers down south another chunk, fans contribution to player fund,  raith tv and a lot more would push that figure nearer £500k

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

Or simply just waiting for it all to blow over? 

I think there's no chance of that.

Also there was always going to rightly be a shitstorm but Ironically had the Mason Greenwood incident not happened just at the weekend I do wonder if it would have had the same impact. 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

I can only imagine the club will release a statement on Friday at 4.59 saying its business as usual and everyone who doesn't help the club is an enemy of the club.

I will man the barricade with my hammer and sickle and back up every man, woman and child in front of me.