The New Raith Rovers Thread

30 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

As I’ve said previously, I completely understand the outrage felt by people at Starks Park and people with Raith Rovers in their hearts.

But I am really struggling to understand why Aileen Campbell says that this move could have devastating consequences for Women’s football in Scotland. Why is it worse for Goodwillie to be playing for Raith Rovers than playing for Clyde? They are both SPFL clubs, so what is the difference? Likewise with Sturgeon’s comments. I just don’t get it.

It’s an “in your face” thing. The last four years DG has bumbled along at Clyde……..everyone knowing he was there, everyone knowing he was a good player, everyone accepting that there was one club in the country were prepared to play him regardless of what it said about that club.

Then up pops a far from right minded RR who were prepared to sign him, pay him more regardless of the consequences……all in pursuit of promotion to the land of milk and honey.

Boom!!!

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

There are people here angrier about her making a statement than they are about the real story. Obviously, there are people who would criticise Sturgeon if she wished them a good morning but to complain about this? You have to wonder what values they were raised with.

I think you’re also missing the point.  

It’s perfectly valid to question why she suddenly thinks it’s a big deal when it wasn’t last Saturday.

This is what the victim went through (in a spolier as it's a bit long and this is a Raith thread after all)...

Pretty distasteful to read a number of posters trivialise her experience.

Spoiler

Prior to January 2011, the pursuer drank alcohol only infrequently, normally at home with friends.  She rarely went out to drink socially and had done so only twice in the preceding year, once in March and once in April.  She did not use recreational drugs.  In January 2011 she was not taking prescribed medication.  Although she used contraceptive measures with her current partner, none was used during the incident in question.

[6]        On the afternoon of Saturday 1 January 2011, the pursuer had been visiting her parents for a family lunch, beginning at about 3.30 pm.  She did not eat again until the next day.  She had left her parents’ home at about 7pm, leaving her daughter with them.  She had made arrangements with a friend, Rachel Carrigan, to go out in Bathgate that evening.  Rachel Carrigan lived in Bathgate and the intention was that they would spend the evening there.  To that end, PC, her brother, collected her at about 8pm and drove her to Bathgate.  Her intention was only to meet Rachel.  While waiting for Rachel to make herself ready, the pursuer had about half a can of beer whilst sitting in her brother’s car.  She was wearing a black dress, black jacket, black tights and red shoes, and carrying a black handbag.  The weather was cold and there was snow on the ground.  She described the temperature as freezing.

[7]        When Rachel Carrigan was ready, they set off, at about 8.45pm, and walked to The James Young, a bar in Bathgate.  While there, the pursuer had a single measure of Jack Daniels with coke, followed by a further double measure with coke.  Ms Carrigan received a text message suggesting that they meet others at The Glenmavis Tavern, otherwise known as Smiths, another bar in Bathgate.

[8]        They went there and met a number of friends from school.  On arrival at The Glenmavis Tavern, the pursuer had a single measure of Jack Daniels with coke and then moved through to the back bar.  The second defender was also there.  He was someone whom she had known from school but whom she had not seen for 2 years or so.  She had a recollection of him placing two drinks in front of her on the bar.  She remembered taking one, although she was unsure whether she in fact drank it.

[9]        She was unable to remember anything else of significance from that time until the following morning.  Although in fact she left The Glenmavis Tavern in due course, and went on to a nightclub called Chalmers, she had no recollection of that.

[10]      Her next recollection was the following morning when she awoke to find herself in a house which she did not recognise.  She was naked and could not find her clothes. She did not know where she was.  She recognised nothing of the view from the windows. She had a telephone conversation with her mother and with her brother, but was unable to tell them where she was.  When she had awoken in the strange bedroom, she was in a lot of pain.  Her thighs were sore, as was her right hand side generally.  She felt sore internally, in her vagina.  At that time, she did not know what had happened.  Although she did eventually find some of her clothing, she was unable to find her pants.

[11]      Before eventually finding some of her own clothes, she found and put on a pair of jeans and white shirt and went outside in search of help.  She was unsuccessful, and returned to the house.  At some time after 9.15am, she saw two women outside the house on the pavement and asked them to confirm the address.  She was in Greig Crescent, Armadale.  The last time she had been in Armadale had been more than a year before.

[12]      She gave her brother the address, by phone, and he drove to the house.  When he was there, she telephoned the police who advised her either to remain where she was or to go home where they would make contact with her.  She chose the second option.

[13]      On the way home, when speaking on the phone to Rachel Carrigan, who had been with the pursuer in Chalmers nightclub, the pursuer said that she was thinking that something terrible had happened.  Rachel Carrigan told her, in answer to a question about what had happened, that she had left the nightclub with two men named D.  Those men were the defenders.  Although she knew the second defender, she had no recollection of meeting the first defender, and to her knowledge had never met him before. 

[14]      In the days that followed, she made a number of statements to the police:  two on 2 January 2011, a cognitive interview on 5 January 2011, and two further statements on 10 January and 21 January 2011.  She confirmed that she had told the police the truth, but for details as to whether she was then currently in a relationship, and when she had last had sexual intercourse.  She had been reluctant to reveal these details for fear that it might affect her relationship with her daughter and her former partner.

[15]      On 17 January 2011, it was confirmed to the pursuer that DNA evidence had been obtained from vaginal swabs taken from her. Until that point, she had not known with certainty whether sexual intercourse had taken place.

[16]      In the following days, she did her best to resume her normal life by going back to work, but found it impossible, given the police enquiry.  After a week or so, she required to take time off from work and in fact did not return to work until May 2011, when she did so only on a part‑time basis.  In July 2011, she was told of the Crown Office decision not to proceed with a prosecution.

[17]      Whereas, prior to these events, the pursuer had functioned normally and had enjoyed life, her life had changed following the decision not to proceed with a prosecution.  When, in July 2011, she was informed by the Crown Office that there was to be no prosecution of the defenders, she had felt devastated, upset and confused.  She found the decision difficult to understand and had felt that she had not been believed.  She felt that her life had been destroyed by something which had happened although, because of her lack of memory, she was not fully aware of what it was that had caused that effect.  Although she had previously been physically fit, she subsequently had problems with weight gain and loss.  She was keenly aware of the high profile investigation being conducted by the police and the fact that everyone seemed to be talking about it.  There had been significant comment in the media, including adverse comments and, at least one threat made against her, in social media.  She had found it difficult to trust anyone and had become unsociable.  She preferred her own company to that of others.  Her dress sense was affected.  She chose to wear clothing which covered up her appearance.  Her mood was low.  She had never been back to Armadale, and although she visited parts of the periphery of Bathgate she would not venture into the centre of it.  She had experienced suicidal thoughts several times.  In September 2011, following her father’s death, she had moved back to live with her mother.  She had experienced depersonalisation, by which nothing of significance appeared or felt to be real, particularly when she found herself to be in a busy place or under stress.  She felt that she had been avoiding challenges in her life which really should have been part of it.  It had taken her until 2016 before she felt comfortable forming an intimate relationship again.

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

97% of 18-24 year old women say they have been sexually harassed. In 2020 in Scotland of 2343 rapes, only 130 led to a conviction. Many people are trying to highlight inequality these days and a high profile football club signing a rapist is an astonishing slap in the face. Surely not that difficult a concept to "get".

I support what Val McDermid and everyone else with Raith Rovers in their hearts are doing, and no way should Goodwillie be playing football in Scotland. But what difference does the profile of the club have to do with who he plays for, and the difference in profile between Raith Rovers and Clyde is fairly minimal anyway so not much of an argument.My point is that people who have no connection with Raith Rovers are “outraged”. Why? Why were they not outraged last week? Over 7500 people turned out at Broadwood in 2020 to watch Goodwillie play against Celtic in the Scottish Cup.

47 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

This thought crossed my mind earlier. Is there a scenario that plays out involving the player asking to be released because of the backlash?

He can’t be willing to put his family through this sort of ordeal, surely?

I've thought about this, and from my point of view as a Rovers fan, that's probably our best hope of a quick end to this shambles given that double down statement by the board yesterday. 

If this level of scrutiny continues to the end of the season it's possible he might say enough is enough and come to a mutual termination. 

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Clearly the only honourable route out of this is to demote Raith and promote Falkirk in their place, I'm sure all right-minded fans will agree. 

Only way Falkirk get out of League One this season right enough.

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Have you ever been on the Clyde thread? I've certainly received plenty of red dots from their reprehensible supporters for talking about him, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Had one telling me our fans denouncing the presence of Yaxley-Lennon at a game some years ago means Airdrie fans can't comment on the scenario. Their phone calls and texts to BBC Radio Scotland this morning were horrendous listening, labelling Goodwillie as a "club legend", a "model professional" and if he is to come back "he'll be welcomed back with open arms". Their whole ambivalence and widespread acceptance towards them has really been quite stinking.

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I support what Val McDermid and everyone else with Raith Rovers in their hearts are doing, and no way should Goodwillie be playing football in Scotland. But what difference does the profile of the club have to do with who he plays for, and the difference in profile between Raith Rovers and Clyde is fairly minimal anyway so not much of an argument.My point is that people who have no connection with Raith Rovers are “outraged”. Why? Why were they not outraged last week? Over 7500 people turned out at Broadwood in 2020 to watch Goodwillie play against Celtic in the Scottish Cup.

Out of interest what was your fans feelings towards him when he played for the Dons between 2014-2016?

Looking at the timeframes. He was charged by Police with rape in 2011, but Crown refused to take it forward blaming lack of evidence. The survivor was awarded criminal injuries damages in 2013. Those perpetrators tried three times to buy her silence, but she wanted justice which she finally got. 

“United star Goodwillie, who denies the accusation, was investigated by police and the Crown Office dropped charges five months later but the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority awarded Ms Clair £11,000 – the highest award possible – after accepting she was raped.” November 2013.

Edited by SuperSaints1877

1 hour ago, Disgruntled Goat said:

Should be McGlynn's name being removed

Yes, he will forever be known as the man that signed a rapist and destroying a Football Club all at the same time. All his accomplishments and achievements mean absolutely f**k all now. I’m deeply in mourning as I know this is the end. Does anyone know Jim Penman’s email address. He has to start a consortium to get these imposters out of our club. 

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Yes, he will forever be known as the man that signed a rapist and destroying a Football Club all at the same time. All his accomplishments and achievements mean absolutely f**k all now. I’m deeply in mourning as I know this is the end. Does anyone know Jim Penman’s email address. He has to start a consortium to get these imposters out of our club. 

Alex?

34 minutes ago, CraigFairlie said:

Desperation to stay relevent, methinks. 

Like you say, where was her outrage when he was at Clyde?

Yes I'm sure the First Minister has a hard time staying relevant. 

I don't think her comment about the SPFL was particularly well thought through, but fucking Christ. I know some people are at the wind up, but others are clearly just total fucking morons.