The New Raith Rovers Thread

34 minutes ago, candycelt said:

What was the attendance like tonight? Was it notably less than usual?

also, it’s really confused me the difference in reaction from Clyde to Raith fans. Think the signing is disgusting and feel for Raith fans, but its weird that I can’t remember there being much backlash from Clyde fans when he signed there and he’s seen as a hero there, whilst its caused Raith to lose several sponsors, board members etc. Anyone think of any reason why the two reactions to Goodwillie were so different? Find it weird man

There was definitely a backlash at the time (I've just searched back to the relevant threads on here and the Clyde site to confirm as much), albeit nothing like the past two days. This thread has been far more heavily populated. I know that it wasn't a unanimous board decision and there was certainly a very mixed reaction when he came off the bench for his debut. I believe (though may be incorrect) it was mostly pushed by the ex-Chairman, who has exposed himself as having no moral standards in recent years and seemed to see himself as some great rehabilitator of both buildings and men (see his response to Ally Love's conviction for racially abusing Rabin Omar).

In contrast to Raith, the atmosphere around Broadwood was already absolutely toxic at that point; we had won 1 in 18 league games, had binned Barry Ferguson and were heading for the Lowland League with a group of players who were actively hated. We also had absolutely no idea where we would be playing our matches, and there were numerous vultures trying to tear the club down from inside. Nearly everybody associated with Clyde was getting both barrels already from the dwindling few who remained interested; the truth is, I'm not sure that the remaining fans had the energy to turn their attention to protesting his signing as well, or if it would have generated any different noise to what was already happening. For most it was just another nail in the coffin (obviously it didn't quite turn out like that). 

A couple of other differences; he was also still awaiting the appeal, so there was maybe not the same expectation (or likelihood) that he would have shown remorse at that stage given it would have compromised the ongoing case. I don't know if it meant anything to anyone (it didn't to me), but he also originally signed as an amateur so he wasn't earning a living from being at Clyde.

31 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Give it up mate, that's 3 times you've proved my post was above your intellectual pay grade.

Yep, three times you have questioned my intellect with no foundation. An empty childish retort. 

You are a fool. A dark ages gammon. Your family must be proud.

2 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Yep, three times you have questioned my intellect with no foundation. An empty childish retort. 

You are a fool. A dark ages gammon. Your family must be proud.

Imagine when he wakes up tomorrow and remembers he threatened strangers on a football forum with libel.

I’d be absolutely mortified.

27 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's simply how these threads evolve. 24 hours of folk posting perfectly reasonable points of view and when things quieten down attention-seeking wee INCELS like Alan has his other semi-literate pals crawl out from under their rocks. Quite what's missing in their lives that they need to hang their arses out on a discussion about a rapist for negative attention, I'm sure we could all hazard a guess.

Sorry I haven't got 12000 posts of utter pish behind me to establish myself as a righteous and upstanding member of the pie and bovril community. I was actually saying the same thing as most people here in original post but seems to have got lost in translation due to what seems like primary 7 comprehension skills. 

Just saying how it is in my original post. Social media does not reflect the reality on the ground. The baying mob never got their blood and they are raging that the reality of tonight didn't meet their feverish expectations of blood and violence. Didn't say you had to like it but if your only retort is shouting 'rape apologist' then you sound like some simpleton incapable of the slightest bit of critical thought. I even said I was disappointed with the club in my post and some on here deliberately choose to ignore that to suit an agenda or maybe they are just thick as f**k. Probably the later.  Perhaps my degree of disappointment or number of posts wasn't high enough to meet some unwritten secret threshold amongst the P&B clique.

Hey It's actually moral grandstanders that are likely to experience discord in their personal lives according to studies.

Edited by Alan H

So are Raith supporters saying Goodwillie should never be allowed work again ? or just not allowed to work for them ?
They shouldn't work in a profession where they are part of a community and lauded as a role model or someone people should be looking up to or applauding. If you can't understand that then there is no hope [emoji2368]

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If they choose to let this slide by then to me it basically says that they don't have any problem with it.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before in the thread, as I definitely missed a few pages but:

Football players are like Boris Johnsons cabinet with their cronyism and boys club attitudes, a LOT of them will side with DGW and think the lassie was "at it" and the ones that don't will keep quiet for fear of being ostracised by their mates

I was out with a few players after an Ayr United player of the year do around the same time as the Ched Evans shit was going down...more than one of them used his name alongside the word "hero" and this was of course before the rest of the story came out about him. I'd name the 3 names, but if you look at the 2011/2012 Ayr United squad list, you'll be able to guess who they were. Unsurprisingly, one of them is a convicted sex offender.

Edited by mugen_power

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Imagine when he wakes up tomorrow and remembers he threatened strangers on a football forum with libel.

I’d be absolutely mortified.

Trust me I'm not and I I won't be. Don't worry about me. A letter of claim is required to 'threaten' libel action but you're the law expert. But if that's what you thought you read as to opposed what I actually wrote then well treat yourself.

I can't help but wonder if Raith could/would punt him back to clyde on loan until the end of the season to try save some face.   I'm sure clyde would be very happy to take him back.
Its very telling that there has been no statement from the Raith board (that I could see), I wonder if they are trying to figure out how to limit the damage thats been done to the clubs reputation.
Clyde won't rake him back. They ain't going to get relegated and won't want the hastle.

Surely  season ticket money is the main part of your gate receipt income and that will have been paid anyway. I doubt Raith missed out on attendance money to the tune of half a million quid.
Two matches against the Pars and Dundee for starters. That's about 3-4k in gams each game as an away support. Just at lower end 12k at £20 is 240k.

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Clyde are fucking Clyde. Before signing Goodwillie they had people convicted of sexual offences on their books already. So it the seal had been broken. They were also at the bottom end of the 3rd division at the time. It's naw surprising that teams down at the arse end of the SPFL get less coverage than teams going for promotion to the top flight. It's not like (some) Clyde fans weren't against it at the time either or opposition fans didn't (and still do) hound them for it. Just on a smaller scale as they are a smaller club and playing against smaller clubs.

The only previous player with a sexual offence history at Clyde that I can think of was Lithgow, who was last at the club about six years before Goodwillie arrived and committed a much less severe offence. As a result, I think the 'seal' remained to be broken and emphatically was; his signing for Clyde came out of nowhere really, with no rumours and no fan consultation, and caused a bit of a storm initially. You're right, though, in that after a few weeks Clyde weren't really in the spotlight at all - I can't see this blowing over quite the same way. You make valid points regarding #MeToo and similar movements in recent years, too, which are probably a big factor in the traction this has gained on Twitter where such topics are much more freely discussed now. I think what makes his signing for Raith, and the backlash, even more egregious was the fact that the story met with such fierce opposition when it first broke a month ago, but the move went ahead anyway.

It is just absolute suicide for a club with much more to lose than gain in a fiscal sense, absolutely nothing to gain in a moral sense, and extremely unlikely to gain anything meaningful in a sporting sense. As good as he is, a somewhat injury-prone 32 year old who hasn't played full-time football in half a decade is very unlikely to be the difference between Premiership and Championship football. For the outlay, surely to god the club could've identified a young player in the past month(s) with an even higher ceiling than Goodwillie's current fettle, or even a similarly talented established pro. Hopefully the Raith fans turned away by this can get back to supporting their club at some point, if they ever feel their wounds have healed and the club's worth supporting again.

8 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

sorry, don’t know if this has already been posted but the thread is moving at such a fast pace. Grim viewing for RR fans.  Sad situation 

The fact that a story about our club ends with links to rape crisis organisations in case anyone has been traumatised by what they’ve just watched sum it up. Shameful day for the club.

Edited by roverthemoon

16 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
8 hours ago, MetalWolf said:
I can't help but wonder if Raith could/would punt him back to clyde on loan until the end of the season to try save some face.   I'm sure clyde would be very happy to take him back.
Its very telling that there has been no statement from the Raith board (that I could see), I wonder if they are trying to figure out how to limit the damage thats been done to the clubs reputation.

Clyde won't rake him back. They ain't going to get relegated and won't want the hastle.

While we are now precariously positioned as a result of losing him, it would be an aberration if we brought him right back in. I would expect the maximum damage has already been done to the club's reputation after five years of service, having many fans bizarrely hero-worshipping him and - worst of all - appointing him as club captain, but speaking for myself it's been five years of gritted teeth waiting for yesterday to come, and I'd be extremely disappointed if my relief about his departure was ill-fated.

Edited by the_bully_wee

Thanks brother. Need to stay strong amidst this litigational nightmare.

Why do I feel as if the next just giving page I donate to will be for your legal fees?

I’d keep my head down and avoid the legal eagles if I were you.

23 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

The fact that a story about our club ends with links to rape crisis organisations in case anyone has been traumatised by what they’ve just watched sum it up. Shameful day for the club.

Exactly! Like a ‘rape’ episode of EastEnders.  Any Rovers fan wanting to travel to Aberdeenshire for our Cove game this weekend, I’ll personally buy you a pint pre match. But seriously, some bad days ahead for Raith and some ill will thru 2025 

Edited by FLDiamond

Reading some of the Twitter comments from people who have zero knowledge of Scottish football does make me laugh a little 

From the people who didn’t realise he’s been playing football consistently since the rape verdict,

They they believe he’s being paid millions by RR or they think the other clubs in the league should shut the game down and boycott RR.