The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

I don't think Raith fans have any say in what Clyde do, or did tbh.

Do you think a rapist should be a professional footballer? Particularly one who has not apologised or shown a hint of contrition?

and at that, even if he had shown remorse, it would still be a big fat NO from me.

11 minutes ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

So are Raith supporters saying Goodwillie should never be allowed work again ? or just not allowed to work for them ?

Of course he should be allowed to work again.  Whether anyone should employ a rapist is a different argument, though.

8 minutes ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

So are Raith supporters saying Goodwillie should never be allowed work again ? or just not allowed to work for them ?

A fair compromise is that he should never be allowed to work for a football club where we are trying to encourage an inclusive attituteand certainly not until he has shown any contrition or apology which, a decade on, he has failed to do.

There are, of course, jobs he should be permitted to do but playing professional football is not one of them.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

The Rovers fan on Twitter who has started a just giving fund for Rovers fans to show their support for Rape Crisis Scotland and against Goodwillie is a good idea.

Over £1,200 raised in under 2 hours is a great start and shows the supporters of our club are very different to the custodians.

Link below for anyone who wants to donate.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martin-glass96?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=martin-glass96&utm_campaign=pfp-tweet&utm_term=4e8e0065c65c470ebd006642f39a7275

Now at over £3,000 

Still can't get my head round this: apart from the ethical dimension -- which is totally clear, despite what a handful of fuckwits have to say -- it doesn't make any sense as a 'business decision'... or even much sense as a footballing one.

In addition the cost of wages and a fee, Raith are going to suffer a loss of sponsorship income, and possibly also gate money and season tickets. They've actually PAID MONEY to become a pariah club, as opposed to the usual model of TAKING MONEY and looking the other way. It truly is mind-blowing.

And on the football side, if it matters, it seems highly unlikely that a 32-yr-old who's been four seasons in the lower leagues will do anything more than upgrade a fifth-place finish to third or fourth. The idea that this one signing will lead to the great pay-off in the sky (promotion) is a pipe-dream. That they've been willing to wreck their club's reputation for a morally-bankrupt long-shot means they -- the four directors who backed it and the manager -- should be hunted down by the supporters, shamed, and removed.

10 minutes ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

ok but he's been playing for Clyde for how long?       so what job should he be allowed to do then ?

He shouldn't be allowed a role of any profile, where he can be an influence on youngsters, unless he's both shown remorse and actively tried to help decrease the chances of others being raped by both being a campaigner against it and using his profile to influence young boys away from thinking its in any way acceptable. 

He had that chance, nobody took that from him, its him alone who decided to never apologise, to never make any effort to show he's trying to help anyone affected. It's him alone who used his public platform to try and gather sympathy for himself instead of promoting any good cause.

He lost his right to any sympathy a long, long, time ago.

Legally he has the right to get a gig with whatever team decides to employ him.

The fact is though, rightly or wrongly, football players are often seen as role models to youngsters.

That any football club (not even one who like to be portrayed as "family orientated") chose to sign someone with such a history is bewildering to fans of other clubs, and quite clearly infuriating and distressing to the folk who actually follow the team in question.

There's been "whataboutery" in regards to others in the game with dodgy backgrounds such as Davie Martindale. Quite clearly there was a time where he wasn't at all a good person and contributed to a lot of damage in society. Even though their actions aren't really comparable, that guy at least served a custodial punishment and subsequently made considerable efforts to better himself, showing genuine remorse for the way he used to live.

There's been nothing like that from Goodwillie however. 

Edited by Derek Patterson

I've thought about this and IF, a big IF his name is on the teamsheet tonight then I may be tempted to go to the match.......

...only to make my feelings loud and clear to the rapist and the board about how I feel. I'd probably be horsed out within 5 minutes of kick off.

There’s nothing legally of course to stop him making a career out of professional football - as long as enablers like Raith’s board & manager are willing to employ him. Without the offer of employment, he’s still a professional footballer - just an unemployed one.

I’m staggered they thought this was a sensible solution to a faltering promotion bid. Has he been asked to help out coaching the ladies team yet does anyone know?

I definitely won’t pay Raith for a ticket or a stream of our next away fixture(s) as indirectly, like or not that would be me enabling them to pay the convicted rapist who has shown no remorse.  Hopefully my fellow Killie fans and those of all other clubs do likewise. Some things are more important than football. 

3 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

How have you managed to link this page in that URL?! 

Great to read all these people giving up their jobs and turning their backs on the club. Power to the people. Hopefully they all find other employment soon enough. 

36 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

My other thought on this.  Is there cooling off periods in player contracts? 

The SFA Rules on contracts don’t seem to indicate such. The transfer request isn’t valid until the receiving team submits a completed contract, before the deadline. In summary, looks like we’re fcuked!

ok fair enough, I guess the Raith Supporter will get a chance to vote with their feet, Should expect a crowd of Zero then ?
Unfortunately there is an element of our support which will accept the signing for "football reasons". They will be there. And those who want to protest against it. So no, you muppet, it won't be a crowd of zero.