The New Raith Rovers Thread

I remember when we were last in the top flight and looking for a striker thinking we might go in for him and debating it with myself. Read the judges statement about his conduct however and sharply changed my mind, it was scathing about him. Very surprised to see him sign up at rovers...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Is this not a massive fekk up by the Raith board, looks like the club has shot itself in the foot head? I dont know how his signing affected Clyde, but Raith are a far bigger club, with a higher profile.

If my team had signed him, myself and my 3 youngsters would have finished supporting them, it would have been painful, but how could you cheer on your team when the opposition fans are tarring your club with the rapist chants? 

I would rather see my team relegated than go down the route of playing DGW. 

1 minute ago, Piehutt said:

So as for Goodwillie... he takes a job at B&Q or delivering for Amazon. Is that ok? What if it was your local B&Q or he was delivering to your house? 

This is the big conundrum but the reality is that the judicial system should have dealt with it and it couldn't.

The guy has a right to contribute to society by working. It's up to individual employers to be principled from there.

It's going to be a very interesting case study into where the line of acceptability is. Sponsors running, fans boycotting, will make a powerful argument against anyone ever pulling a stunt like this again. As so many others have said I'm glad it's not us being the guinea pigs for this.

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a U turn on this. That would explain the lack of the promised statement.

£1k a week for 2.5 years is £125k. Add the reported £50k transfer fee.

If a u turn is incoming they’ve spunked £175k, only some of the sponsors/fans will forgive them, and he’ll likely rejoin Clyde.

What a trainwreck for Raith 

2 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a U turn on this. That would explain the lack of the promised statement.

I'm praying that is what's happening. It doesn't change what's happened but it'll make it easier to see a way forward at least. 

Surely there’s more than just Mcglynn and a director/board member involved in transfers/contracts etc. Baffling how at no point someones stopped and thought “is this really a good idea?” 

Anyway, Raith fans have my sympathy and I would hate to be put in this position by my club. Won’t be back at Starks as an away fan whilst Goodwillie is employed 

The thing is they knew Val would pull the plug. They knew the fans would be upset. They knew that the media would jump all over it. To decide that it would be worth it knowing all of that why would they do a u turn.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

£1k a week for 2.5 years is £125k. Add the reported £50k transfer fee.

If a u turn is incoming they’ve spunked £175k, only some of the sponsors/fans will forgive them, and he’ll likely rejoin Clyde.

What a trainwreck for Raith 

As with any contract, there will be a legal cooling off period. Not with the transfer fee but with the contract itself. It’ll leave him a free agent. For me, it’s the only way forward.

1 hour ago, RavyDavy said:

Anyone want to pass comment on Alan Lithgow's past convictions? 

Yeah. Hundreds of Morton fans. Check our message board or the Morton thread here. See also Cowdenbeath for Thompson, Dundee/Celtic for Griffiths, etc. Scottish clubs signing sex offenders isn't new. Hopefully it ends now due to the reaction Raith have received.

2 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:
7 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

The thing is they knew Val would pull the plug. They knew the fans would be upset. They knew that the media would jump all over it. To decide that it would be worth it knowing all of that why would they do a u turn.

I don’t think they knew the full extent it would cause. I certainly didn’t expect Nicola Sturgeon to be discussing it today!

Edited by Jilted John

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

That's Sturgeon commenting on it now.

All the vitriol towards the club is thoroughly deserved, but rich coming from someone who ignored Salmond's bad behaviour until they fell out.

Doesn't she know he's been playing for Clyde for the last five years?

Edited by Specky Ginger