The New Raith Rovers Thread

Anyways, so I missed this news until this morning. I've now had a cup of tea and an hour to think on it, and - while I already knew what my intellectual reaction to it would be - emotionally I'm more upset by it than I realised I was going to be.
With an unfortunate handful of exceptions, I've been mostly reassured by the reactions on here skimming back through the past pages. 
Thank you to all the good Raith fans on here, the ones I've mostly chatted to over the years - too many to go back through the thread and list, but you know who you are. Most of you have deeper emotional commitments and connections to the club than I do, so I offer my genuine sympathies.
And thanks to the fans of other clubs who have mostly posted on here in the right spirit rather than make it a pile-on.

You've been a shining light in a sea of shithousing for years Yoss. A thoroughly brilliant poster.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Magyar said:

I think you’re right re: morals in the football game.  See ; Gordon Strachan’s comments of a couple of years ago, regarding his opinion of morals in the game.

Most  football fans would be amazed/disappointed/stunned at how low the levels of mortality actually are and that will more than likely, have included their own club at some point.

Sorry, I meant to say how low the level of morals actually were, not levels of mortality! My apologies.

Those few Rovers fans who don't care about Goodwillies past are surely concerned about the club imploding in front of our very eyes!

Years of good work developing the community side (it even won awards a couple of months ago) seriously at risk, if not totally fucked) to sign one 33 year old striker from League 1.

The folk involved in this need to get out now, McGlynn included.

We should be better than this!

24 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

So one is OK because the serious crime was less serious than another.

Don't forget the restraining order 

If you're taking the moral high ground, neither should be anywhere near the club.

You either can't read or you're a fucking moron. Either way I can't help you. 

8 minutes ago, Piehutt said:

Think it's fair to say this decision has backfired massively on Raith and they have lost all control of the story. 

I also think they are legally hamstrung from saying very much. As the players employers, they have a duty to act in his interests, so I'm sure couldn't release a statement referring to the civil case found against him. 

I personally believe in rehabilitation and if you do, you can't really take the view that 'as long as it's not in my club, my sport, my league, something I care about' etc. 

Without speaking with the player it is tricky to know if he is remorseful or if he is worthy of rehabilitation. I'm not aware of any statement he has made to that end. 

My guess is Raith may well have to place the player on garden leave. 

Other point - I'm sure plenty of clubs have hired people with criminal convictions, burglary, assault etc. Be they players or staff. But suddenly there is a huge red line drawn at this?

There seemed to be a fair bit of support for David Martindale, for example, who did jail time for organised crime and money laundering. Who knows what impact his actions would have had on people's lives, and what else may have happened that he wasn't convicted of. 

f**k, where to start.

1) I think most people believe in rehabilitation and yes, Goodwillie should be given an opportunity to get on with his life. However, actions have consequences and his previous actions should have the consequences that he doesnt play football at a high level ever again. Football clubs are more than just winning and losing, they are a vital source of local engagement and togetherness, particularly outside the top flight. So yes, I can take the view that Goodwillie should be allowed a life, but not in the sport that means so much to so many within local communities. Like it or not, football isnt a normal job and footballers/managers/coaches have an inherent responsibility to their club and wider community that isnt present in other jobs. The mere presence of Goodwillie compromises everything a community club is meant to stand for and sends an awful message to young supports, both male and female. A footballer's role is more akin to a politician than any other job in terms of public scrutiny. 

2) Yes, players, coaches and managers have been convicted of criminal activity in the past and been allowed to continue playing or coaching without much fuss, but it is entirely dependent on the nature of the crime. There are absolutely difference levels to crime and rape is up there with child abuse and murder as things the average person (see: fan) cannot fathom. I would guess we can all imagine a scenario where we get caught up in something and end up assaulting someone or stealing something, but I for one cant imagine why anyone would force themselves sexually onto someone else. So yes, a red line gets drawn at vile acts we cant comprehend.

3) Martindale has repeatedly shown remorse for his past and works on schemes to prevent others getting caught up as he did. 

7 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

I'm fucking thick? 

Why? Do I agree with the signing? No, not really. Do I despair at the hysteria and hypocrisy? Yes. 

People don't like to be challenged on shit like that.

One crime is more serious than others, but neither is excusable or welcome so why is Benedictus' history tolerated? 

He battered 2 blokes and verbally abused his ex partner to a point that she was shit scared.... That's pretty bad, no? 

The notion that it's OK because it's a lesser crime is frankly ridiculous. 

If you can't see that, then you are the one who is "fucking thick" 

It says a lot about you as a person that the reaction to the signing upsets you more than the signing itself.

I think people would prefer to presume you stupid or a WUM than think you’re just a shitty human being.

2 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Those few Rovers fans who don't care about Goodwillies past are surely concerned about the club imploding in front of our very eyes!

Years of good work developing the community side (it even won awards a couple of months ago) seriously at risk, if not totally fucked) to sign one 33 year old striker from League 1.

The folk involved in this need to get out now, McGlynn included.

We should be better than this!

Yeah this is horrendous watching us implode. 

What have we done....

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

After digesting last nights news and much soul searching I will be adding my name to the list of fans who won’t be going while David Goodwillie is on our books. 

I tried to think maybe I could still support my team despite him(I understand why some want to) but I can’t in good conscience endorse this signing no matter my love for my local club.

I’m heartbroken that some of our board feel it’s acceptable to sign this player and the message it sends out to the community and our families. I urge the board to see sense and terminate his contract with immediate effect. 

From being the club that stood tall against The Rangers fiasco in 2012 to this. I’m absolutely devastated. 

3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

f**k, where to start.

1) I think most people believe in rehabilitation and yes, Goodwillie should be given an opportunity to get on with his life. However, actions have consequences and his previous actions should have the consequences that he doesnt play football at a high level ever again. Football clubs are more than just winning and losing, they are a vital source of local engagement and togetherness, particularly outside the top flight. So yes, I can take the view that Goodwillie should be allowed a life, but not in the sport that means so much to so many within local communities. Like it or not, football isnt a normal job and footballers/managers/coaches have an inherent responsibility to their club and wider community that isnt present in other jobs. The mere presence of Goodwillie compromises everything a community club is meant to stand for and sends an awful message to young supports, both male and female. A footballer's role is more akin to a politician than any other job in terms of public scrutiny. 

2) Yes, players, coaches and managers have been convicted of criminal activity in the past and been allowed to continue playing or coaching without much fuss, but it is entirely dependent on the nature of the crime. There are absolutely difference levels to crime and rape is up there with child abuse and murder as things the average person (see: fan) cannot fathom. I would guess we can all imagine a scenario where we get caught up in something and end up assaulting someone or stealing something, but I for one cant imagine why anyone would force themselves sexually onto someone else. So yes, a red line gets drawn at vile acts we cant comprehend.

3) Martindale has repeatedly shown remorse for his past and works on schemes to prevent others getting caught up as he did. 

...and there in ends the whole "what about so and so" argument.

Thank you, sir. 

We have a very limited window to limit the damage, very limited and likely very costly.

I don't care, the contract needs ripped up today and apology issued immediately. Any statement issued defending or justifying this could be the clubs death knell.

What the actual f**k are we doing?

Here is a link to the judgment. The vast majority of the judgment involves setting out the facts, which can be difficult for some to read.

The actual decision begins at paragraph 329 right toward the bottom of the page. It doesn't include any description of the sexual activity, so may be easier reading, and clearly sets out the Court's findings.

DC AGAINST (FIRST) DG AND (SECOND) DR (scotcourts.gov.uk)

5 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

f**k, where to start.

This guy/girl has absolutely nailed it. Excellent post.

What are the chances of Raith quietly loaning him back to Clyde and releasing him in the summer? Won’t change anything as the damage is already done by their sheer ignorance but it wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to do something to win fans back.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Fcking hell, don’t look at the Scottish Football Away Days Facebook page. Seems like the majority think it’s a great signing. Even a post supporting him… from a woman!!

The world’s fucked.

The Venn diagram of people who follow that page and what Gaz describes below must be a perfect circle.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I said this on the Falkirk thread, but the really worrying thing from a societal point of view is how many folk online supporting him and saying "he did nothing wrong, he was just on a lads' night out" are from the late teens / early twenties sleeve tattoo brigade.

So just to summarise we've now seen the resignations from a key sponsor, a fan director, our SLO as well as the Captain of our women's team. That's not covering the ones who haven't said anything publicly like volunteers, as well as fans who are choosing not to go back. A real 200 iq move from the board.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What are the chances of Raith quietly loaning him back to Clyde and releasing him in the summer? Won’t change anything as the damage is already done by their sheer ignorance but it wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to do something to win fans back.

I’d say it’s pretty likely he won’t see out the 2 and a half year deal. 

But then I’d have said it was pretty likely that Raith Rovers wouldn’t have gone near him in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

We have a very limited window to limit the damage, very limited and likely very costly.

I don't care, the contract needs ripped up today and apology issued immediately. Any statement issued defending or justifying this could be the clubs death knell.

What the actual f**k are we doing?

We've got the match preview out for tonight. What more can we ask for?!

I once read that rape is the worst crime you can suffer and survive. 

I can't imagine another crime that would come close. As I said earlier, one of my close pals was raped and kept it quiet for years. It suddenly came to light and it broke her. She is a completely different person now. She puts on a really good front and is slowly coming through the other side but you can see she is a different person now to the one before it happened. That her getting on a bus is a massive achievement is truly heartbreaking when I think of how confident and outgoing she was before the assault.

Rapists and child abusers are without doubt the biggest c***s within our society.

I'm fucking thick? 
Why? Do I agree with the signing? No, not really. Do I despair at the hysteria and hypocrisy? Yes. 
People don't like to be challenged on shit like that.
One crime is more serious than others, but neither is excusable or welcome so why is Benedictus' history tolerated? 
He battered 2 blokes and verbally abused his ex partner to a point that she was shit scared.... That's pretty bad, no? 
The notion that it's OK because it's a lesser crime is frankly ridiculous. 
If you can't see that, then you are the one who is "fucking thick" 

Still going with this "hysteria" bullshit while sponsors, fans and people closely involved with the club are pulling the plug [emoji38]

ff185dfeb01a6d6e7215edfcc8778598.jpg