The New Raith Rovers Thread

How does everyone feel about Kyle Benedictus' criminal record of serious assault and restraining order? Just putting out there... Interested to hear how it's justified that our club captain is celebrated despite a conviction for a serious and violent crime?
"Just putting it out there" is the same low life shite you get from divorced-da losers who start with "I'm not racist, but..."

This is quite astonishing levels of “not reading the room”. Immeasurably damaging for Raith Rovers and I’m genuinely gutted for all the decent/majority of Raith fans. I’m also gutted and embarrassed for Scottish football in general that this “man” still gains employment in the game. I’m reading lots of tweets from Clyde fans who vowed not to go to Clyde games while he was at the club that are still not going to return even now he’s left them. 

Woke up and remembered it wasn't just a bad dream. Absolutely gutted. I've supported this club for over 20 years. It's one of the things that's kept myself and my brother close despite living in different continents.  It's provided me with some of my happiest memories, until today. 

I personally know woman who've been on the wrong end of this monstrous crime. Particularly somebody very close to me, who, like Goodwillie's victim, could never get a concrete criminal conviction because of the "he said/she said" about it. This makes me so so so sad. 

Sold the morals of this once great club for a misguided shot at promotion. I couldn't be more disappointed. I won't be supporting until he's gone, and I will be contacting the club to explain why I can't in good faith follow the club down this avenue and I encourage anybody who feels the same way to do the same. 

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Fcking hell, don’t look at the Scottish Football Away Days Facebook page. Seems like the majority think it’s a great signing. Even a post supporting him… from a woman!!

The world’s fucked.

Should have taken your advice, had to fucking look away. Some absolute mentalists out there.

Kevin O'Hara? Jesus feck. Replace the rapist with a guy who takes the pish out of folk with one eye.  Who next Alan Lithgow?
Wasn't aware of that. It's just an example to illustrate the fact that the board probably had a bigger pool of players to choose from than just Goodwillie.

Man, what a mess this is. Went to sleep before this was announced last night but woke up during the night and actually checked my phone to see if anything had come of it.
And there it was.
I just don't understand what McGlynn and the board are thinking here. Even from a solely football perspective there are question marks over this deal given his age, but when you consider the baggage that comes with it, it's just utter, utter madness. Especially given the backlash a few weeks ago.
Then you read posts from lifelong supporters saying they won't be back, and see sponsors withdrawing from the club. How can we press the self destruct button like this? I can't say enough how sad it is that people have been put in this position.
I've no intention of stopping going, but the whole situation is deeply uncomfortable. Going to the football is supposed to be a release, not some horrible moral dilemma.
Lastly, there's the announcement last night, with no acknowledgement at all of the issues this would cause. Utterly pathetic.
Totally scunnered by us doing this.

Perfectly summed up. Some of my comments last night were completely taken out of context but you appear to have described how I also feel about the matter. Utterly ridiculous decision by the club. I like you will continue to go to matches but will attempt to find another way to protest against this.

What worries me is that we’re not going to pay him off. This will mean supporters and sponsors will walk away as some already have and financially cripple us.

A very confusing aspect of this. 

I don't want this to read as morality shouldn't play a role in this. But even if you do entirely remove that aspect and start from the position that you are comfortable with signing him. How good do the Raith management/board think Goodwillie is before they thought this would be worth doing? Surely the fan alienation and the loss of sponsors etc etc in the long run is far more damaging to the club than the potential footballing benefits would be considering how short term any impact would be. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

😂 there’s hysterical outrage for you.  P&B style. Red dots. That’ll show me. I should just give up supporting Rovers, force the club to shut down and take up bowls. Not resigning from all things Rovers equals being pro-Goodwillie.

Wonder how long the hysterical shrieks and resignation letters will go on for?

46EC9771-5883-4107-8643-5F25671293B2.png

You’re literally more upset at getting red dots on an Internet forum than by your club signing a rapist.

What a creep you are.

Normally in situations where a club makes a massive arse of something, fans of other clubs pile in with slaggings

As an Ayr fan, we have been linked with him a few times and Rovers fans have my sympathy. 

The thought of going along to pay to not only watch him, but contribute to his wage. The abuse that will be heard at every ground he plays at, the fact you will have to wear the same replica kit as he wears on the pitch. None of it fans fault but they have to carry it with them.

This isn’t a time for slagging or “banter” Anyone trying to points score here needs to think what it would be like if he was pictured yesterday wearing your teams kit, scarf above head. 
If you think it wouldn’t bother you then you have no morals. 

Removing the obvious for a second.

From a footballing perspective, Raith paying what must be a not insignificant fee for a guy who turns 33 next month and hasnt played full time football in nearly 5 years is a bit mental. Also the chance that the feelings of the Raith support is shared by some of the players with wifes/girlfriends/sisters/daughters and the impact it could have within the dressing room, especially if his signing is felt by other players to be the reason fans lose their support going forward this season after theyve grafted to put themselves in a decent position.

Baffling signing not withstanding the supporter and financial impacts this signing has already had.

22 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Fcking hell, don’t look at the Scottish Football Away Days Facebook page. Seems like the majority think it’s a great signing. Even a post supporting him… from a woman!!

The world’s fucked.

There were a ridiculous amount of folk supporting the potential signing on the various Falkirk pages a few weeks back. Men, women and children.