The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not sure the Rovers’ fans celebrating this understand how much this stains the club. You’re going to be the team that employs a rapist. That’s your reputation moving forward.

This isn’t some anti-establishment, “Nobody likes us, we don’t care!” thing either. You’re going to pay money and cheer on a rapist because you hope he can kick a ball well.

You’re not a loyal supporter by continuing to attend games. If you actually loved your club, you’d not want to see it damaged like this.

1 minute ago, Beastie Russell said:

Like every other set of supporters we backed the club through the pandemic, buying season tickets for games we’d never attend.

and when we ask the club to do something for us and not sign this guy, they go f**k you, we know best.

Enjoy your medicine

Very good point.

It is also pretty bizarre that the signing was openly discussed in the media last year, presumably as a way for the club to gauge fan opinion. Assurances were given, by the fans director, that he wouldn’t be signing after such a negative reaction.

This wasn’t a panic signing as the deadline approached and the BoD have been caught unawares by the reaction. They knew this would happen and did it anyway.

11 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

@Terry_Tibbs is a thick, edgelord troll, as anyone witnessing his output elsewhere on this site will attest.

However it is surely no coincidence that the handful of Rovers fans on here who are trying to downplay this are all barely literate c***s.

Serious question, did you support Dundee when Giovanni Di Stefano was involved with the club?

Over 20 witnesses, plus medical and forensic witnesses, testified to her being extremely drunk and unable to walk when Robertson and Goodwillie bundled her into a taxi and took her to a house to rape her.
Neither of them denied that and simply said she'd agreed to it earlier in the night. 
David Goodwillies response to it all years later was to moan about how shit a car he has to drive about in now because he couldn't get a full time club.
Anyone who defends him or this signing is absolute fucking scum.

Also worth pointing out that the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority deemed that she had been raped and awarded her £11,000 after her appeal to the criminal court (and before the civil case).

Medical and forensic witnesses backed up her story and the judge in the civil trial was very critical of Goodwillie’s attitude and self interest. It was also revealed that Goodwillie and Robertson also offered the woman £115,000, to try and avoid the case going to trial.

Edit to add: the victim also didn’t receive the compensation awarded, as Goodwillie declared himself bankrupt.

20 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Can add Gregory Tade to the rapist sympathiser club.

”few mistakes” LAD culture is revolting.

A player I had a lot of time for; the disappointments keep coming tonight.

Whilst I don't expect him to lay into his now former teammate, it's trivialising what he did and it's appalling. A few mistakes is maybe a night in the cells for a nightclub scuffle and a few speeding tickets, not a rape FFS. 

Just now, Double Jack D said:

Was gonna take the kids to the game the morn. How can I though? They're only at primary school, they don't know what rape is. How do I tell them we're no going? The wee man in particular is so excited to get to a game. He loves the Rovers! How do I tell him we can't go now? How do I let him grow up thinking what Goodwillie did was alright as long as you score goals? What do I say to my daughter? Fuckin hell!

I really feel for you mate, it’s a terrible position the club have put you in. I’m sure other parents will be facing a similar dilemma.

A player I had a lot of time for; the disappointments keep coming tonight.
Whilst I don't expect him to lay into his now former teammate, it's trivialising what he did and it's appalling. A few mistakes is maybe a night in the cells for a nightclub scuffle and a few speeding tickets, not a rape FFS. 

Tade is an idiot. I’m sure the victim takes great solace that Goodwillie is a “great guy”.

Can only really echo what others have said.

Rovers have formed a huge part of my life for almost two decades. I've been lucky enough to have gone up and down the country. I've met some truly brilliant people both at Starks and on the road. When I was at University, I'd always try to take my foreign pals along and they all sort of got why Scottish fans are so passionate.

I'll undoubtedly keep tabs on the Cinch going forward as it's a brilliantly unique league system. But for now, I'll not be going to Rovers games. I've made it round 38 of the 42 grounds so I'll probably look to get to the rest at some point now I've got free Saturdays. I'm devastated that the club have felt that fans were overreacting when the rumours first came about. They've run through with this with complete disregard. Each fan can make their own mind up about how they proceed.

Sigh, I was against signing Goodwillie because of the obvious backlash. Disappointed in our club who constantly bang on about being a family club, a community club, just going to cause division in so many ways.

I won’t be boycotting or losing as much sleep as others either. I would like to think he has improved considerably as a human being since those days but was/is he a ‘rapist’? I’m not so sure, in fact I’m very doubtful reading the evidence in civil case. Big difference between a calculating monster who goes out there to rape innocent women and what is known of this night in question.  I could be a mile off but at same time, Goodwillie’s version of events could be 100% truthful

16 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Having thought about it, the only way the club could save face on this would be to release him straight away, without playing a single game and paying him whatever it takes to go away. Otherwise this is going to escalate into something really bad.

Even this still wouldn't save face, we'd still be the club that happily signed a rapist but only backtracked later on after fans made it clear what a idiotic move it was.

Seen Alan Temple saying that the club are going to address the signing further tomorrow.  How exactly?  What do they honestly think they can say to make this signing alright?