The New Raith Rovers Thread

To be fair the players don't really have a choice about that. They are contracted to play. You can't think that many, if any, will be pleased by this and the unwanted attention it will now put on the club.

Again just astonished we have done this.

You’d expect the employees of any workplace to voice their concerns should a rapist start working with them. Football will/should be no different. There must be at least one player in that Rovers dressing room or employee list who wants to ask the club what the f**k they’re playing at and wanting away.

It would be so easy to come on here and act all high and mighty and gloat about this but I’m genuinely gutted for all the decent Raith fans. I honestly really feel for you guys, and I did honestly think at one stage we could have been experiencing what you are now and if we were I’d be looking for a new club to support. Fucking hell lads, what to say. 

Aye, I came to say a similar thing. Ultimately, I just feel really disappointed for the many decent Rovers fans who want to wake up thinking this is all some hideous nightmare.
No. I’m unlikely to stop supporting Rovers. I get the outrage - although like most things on here these days and on Twitter - it’s completely hysterical outrage. Give it a week or two and these same people will be outraged about something else
I would rather we hadn’t signed him as this will just alienate a large chunk of our fanbase, but we have. I would have thought the previous alarm shown by fans in December was the end of it, but no. Maybe the club will reconsider if enough fans pull their support.

Just so I understand you correctly, you don’t want to see DG playing for you, but you won’t stop going to the games.. but you hope the Club will reconsider if enough people don’t go to the games?

Goodnight everyone. Enjoy your football. 

Terrific post. You’ve nailed a lot of the nuances here and, as I said in my reply to Rugster, I’m a bit heartbroken for the likes of yourself. I already get the impression the club thought this was going to be, at worst, an unpopular signing, maybe with a reduced attendance for a few weeks before folk forgot about it.

Instead, this is such a dark day for (what once was) your football club.

3 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Aye ffs right enough, starve the club if cash and watch us plumet down the  leagues again maybe never to recover 

No club in Scotland would deserve it more just now.

Just now, rb123! said:

Someone at Raith Rovers hasn't quite thought through the permutations of how this might go before slapping him a 2 and a half year deal jesus christ...

Will any luck we might have a release clause but this is Raith Rovers and someone thought that this was a good idea in the first place so probably not.

12 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

But wait………just take a step onto the moral high ground and where are Rovers?………….oh there they are……….miles and miles and miles below us

We have no moral high ground, you are correct. The signing is a disgrace and an embarrassment. However, let’s face facts, the only reason he isn’t a Falkirk player right now is finances. You didn’t sign him because you couldn’t afford the transfer fee after entering negotiations with Clyde, not because of any moral stance. If you had the cash you’d be going through this misery instead of us right now. 

Just now, Terry_Tibbs said:

Burden of proof is much lower in a civil case. The fact that there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute makes me wonder if the judge's verdict is a bit iffy. 

After seeing what happened to Ched Evans i'd err on the side of caution before condemning him to play for Clyde for the rest of his career.

Watch that you don't cut yourself on that edge.

Burden of proof is much lower in a civil case. The fact that there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute makes me wonder if the judge's verdict is a bit iffy. 
After seeing what happened to Ched Evans i'd err on the side of caution before condemning him to play for Clyde for the rest of his career.

Read the case file. It's pretty clear what happened.

Many of us wrote to our SLO when there were rumours that we were interested in Goodwillie. I did too and whilst I won't share the response publicly, it was clear that the concerns were shared. The messages were subsequently passed on.  

I get that withdrawing financial support is bad for the club, but the only way to make your displeasure known to a football club/business etc is to hit them in the pockets. It is the only language they understand. People raised their concerns and the club went ahead and did it anyway. It is a foreseeable outcome that if you piss people off, they might vote with their wallets. 

You don't think this is hysteria? The guy has continued to play professional football for over a decade since the allegations/civil court ruling... Haven't seen anyone protesting this? Signs for Raith and all off a sudden all hell breaks loose... Like we've plucked him out a prison team FFS.
Clyde have little to no youth system in place with Cumbernauld colts having the stadium and pitch at Broadwood. The club has heavily supported the woman's team on the big pitch. Hoping to build a massive community hub behing the now to be unsponsored Away stand. Does that make ant difference to you???

18 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What do you suggest? Bit of a protest or just walk away and close the club down? 

I'll not be back while he's at the club. I don't really care what other people do tbh. There's been already whooping with glee saying "it's meltdown central" on social media. People can say what they want but I'm not going to plough any more money into a club while Goodwillie is there. 

Great signing. He will do well and help the club tremendously in my opinion. Great player and great guy. He has plenty left in the tank. I hope that the fans will welcome him despite the few mistakes he made has a young boy. He will do well I am sure. 👍🏿

Can add Gregory Tade to the rapist sympathiser club.

”few mistakes” LAD culture is revolting.

13 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Quite simply, no. I don't see why I'd give money to a club who have actively decided to proceed with signing Goodwillie. I'm not wasting a Saturday afternoon venting at a player or manager. 

It's like the Brexit of football transfers. People told them not to do it. They did it. Now people are saying "oh no, don't hurt the club". The club have done this themselves. 

Brexit must be the most over exaggerated thing to ever happen in politics. What a whole load of fuss over a whole load of nothing 😂

This is a crazy decision from Rovers though, you just can’t alienate so much of your clubs stakeholders like this