The New Raith Rovers Thread

52 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Same goes for Cal Hendry but does that apply to just loan deals? 

If we signed him outright does that still apply?

Aye, I’d initially wondered if we’d be interested in Hendry when I’d seen he’d went back to St Johnstone, but then had a look at his appearance record and he’d made a few appearances for them, so that would be that. Unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I’m not sure if he was ever as good as the hype.

His goalscoring record in his first 3 seasons before going down south was excellent. In some ways he was similar to Nisbet in that he did it for 3 seasons in a row moving up the leagues.

Who knows what would've happened if he hadn't been injured but he'd almost definitely be playing to a higher level than bench warmer for the worst team in the Premier league. 

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I’m not sure if he was ever as good as the hype.

He was. Even down South he was starting to show it despite joining a circus at Sheffield Wednesday. His knee exploding completely fucked him as it robbed him of some power, and also seems to have stolen something mentally. Theres glimpses of what he was, and its glorious, but its not enough.

I'd be surprised if he left us. Hes got a 2yr deal, and the manager loves his work rate, we've only got 4 striker options including him so there would need to be one coming in before he goes out. We have Eetu Vertainen whos apparently allowed to leave on loan, but theres been rumours for months hes away back to Finland this month, probably after/if we can get Alan Forrest in.

Going back to our stats with/ without Spencer, I'm not surprised we appear much less of a threat without him. The last few viral social media clips of "McGlynnball" he is always a significant part of the build up play.

To lose Hendry, Vaughan and him from a side at this level and still be anywhere close to the promotion play-offs is a bit of an achievement to be fair. 

What coulda been eh?

5 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Going back to our stats with/ without Spencer, I'm not surprised we appear much less of a threat without him. The last few viral social media clips of "McGlynnball" he is always a significant part of the build up play.

To lose Hendry, Vaughan and him from a side at this level and still be anywhere close to the promotion play-offs is a bit of an achievement to be fair. 

What coulda been eh?

And Tait. 

Edited by Scary Bear

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

Tait was quite poor for a while but he did actually try to play forward, penetrating passes no one else did. They didn't always come off, but at least he tried them.

Totally agree. I really think people are underrating the effect Tait had on us. His passing was often first or second touch as well. Never slow or ponderous. 

People go on about losing Hendry, but Matthews, Tait and Spencer are as good a midfield three as you could want at this level and we've lost the two creative sparks of the three. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2943312/matej-poplatnik-banks-odee-celtic-raith-rovers-scottish-cup/

Nice interview with Pop. Also, 

""Courier Sport understands Rovers remain in the market for another striker this month, boosted by the guaranteed financial windfall from drawing Celtic in cup competition for the second time this campaign"