The New Raith Rovers Thread

40 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Don't know what you two are on but there is absolutely no danger we should be considering signing any of that mob. Especially a winger who is not as good as the 3 we currently have and a striker who has scored 1 every 5 games in the league below. 

Players ad take from pars and Falkirk 

Falkirk: Morrison 

Pars:  Thomas, Wilson and mibby O’Hara

52 minutes ago, renton said:

I get the feeling we are going with what we've got tbh

I think that was certainly the case before Saturday. Now, I reckon McGlynn will probably bring in an extra body with some of the Celtic money, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was another loan after the permanent transfer window has closed. 

Personally, I'd be looking for another wide option or a left back to replace Liam Dick, unless there's a Brian Graham-esque striker who inexplicably becomes available. I think we've got enough bodies in the forward positions and central midfield now. 

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

I think that was certainly the case before Saturday. Now, I reckon McGlynn will probably bring in an extra body with some of the Celtic money, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was another loan after the permanent transfer window has closed. 

Personally, I'd be looking for another wide option or a left back to replace Liam Dick, unless there's a Brian Graham-esque striker who inexplicably becomes available. I think we've got enough bodies in the forward positions and central midfield now. 

Yeah, would unfortunately agree with the requirement for a better left back.

I suspect between Zanatta, Connolly, Ross and (at a push) Gullan we probably have enough bodies in the wide attacking positions, so not sure McGlynn will want to add there for the sake of numbers unless he's concluded he can't pick Zanatta back off the mat.

A more reliable, Graham-esque or even Ugwu redux type striker is what we desperately need, but I doubt there is one of those going spare so not much chance of adding there.

Hence my uneducated opinion that we won't add any more players, more out of a lack of options than anything else.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:
2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:
I see Aiden Keena has left Falkirk to go back to Ireland, would have taken him.

Seen a few folk on their thread speculating that Morrison might go to Accies for a fee. If we can, we should go after him. Looked excellent both against us and against other clubs. The only player of theirs I'd take.

Anton Dowds ?

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's no "set" time for that. They'll announce it when they are ready. Given there are no replays now and the ties are all known I don't think it will take them long. Chances are you'll know by midweek. It would be a surprise if Premier don't pick up Celtic v Raith though.

My guess Celtic V Raith and Annan v Ranges on Premier, BBC to pick up Arbroath v Hibs and either Well v Dons or Thistle v United

If another "wide" player comes in then IMO he has given up on the 3 wide players he already has. We don't need another player that play on occasions and disappesrs for weeks on end. You will never find a decent consistant wide player in a january transfer window. I want something else, an option B. Another wide player is not an option b.

6 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:
What is Ethon Varian if not a target man?

Exactly the same as Gullan. That's what he is.

I certainly don't see Gullan as a target man, the long/high ball to Varian sticks most of the time, the same balls to Gullan don't. 

Gullan is more of a number 10 than an out and out 9, I reckon Varian and Gullan might actually work but it'd mean dropping Ross or playing him out wide. 

I'd play Pops and Gullan up front against Morton with Ross & Connolly out wide, Stanton and Williamson in the middle with Tumilty/Musonda, Dick, Berra and Lang at the back. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:
1 hour ago, Hottoddy22 said:
Anton Dowds ?

Forgot Dowds was back there tbh. Its a strange one as I'd never been particularly keen on him and didn't think he was that good a player. Obviously he's kicked on in the last 6 months.

I know that when he was at Methil, the Rovers player I spoke to didn't rate him too highly, "Nah, he's big bit not that great" was the opinion of him when I asked if he thought he'd be a good signing for us. That said Rovers did try to sign him at the end of that season and as you say he's improved some. 25 yrs old and out of contract in May but is he the answer to our needs?

Edited to add, Unlikely though it might be I'd rather we approached St Johnston and enquired about Cal Hendry.

Edited by Scottydog

I certainly don't see Gullan as a target man, the long/high ball to Varian sticks most of the time, the same balls to Gullan don't. 
Gullan is more of a number 10 than an out and out 9, I reckon Varian and Gullan might actually work but it'd mean dropping Ross or playing him out wide. 
I'd play Pops and Gullan up front against Morton with Ross & Connolly out wide, Stanton and Williamson in the middle with Tumilty/Musonda, Dick, Berra and Lang at the back. 
I mean that Gullan isn't a target man, neither is Varian.

6 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
38 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I mean that Gullan isn't a target man, neither is Varian.

He is for long balls, just not crosses.

On 23/01/2022 at 17:31, TxRover said:

Exactly, and the highlights alone don’t show how we laboured to moved their players around, 

And you deduced that from audio

Club will be running subsidised buses to Celtic game

Edited by Rovers_Lad

11 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Anton Dowds has already played for two clubs this season, so he couldn’t play for us. 

Same goes for Cal Hendry but does that apply to just loan deals? 

If we signed him outright does that still apply?

18 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Same rule applies whether loan or permanent. 

Bugger!

Edited to add, some sources online still suggesting a maximum of 3 registrations in any 1 season,  others from 2020 saying it was a temporary covid allowance. 

Anyone find an official edict?

Quote,

" Can a player play for more than two cubs in one season?"

Best answer

"A player may only be registered with one club at a time. ... Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season."

Edited by Scottydog

31 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

And you deduced that from audio

Club will be running subsidised buses to Celtic game

Nope, listened to how things were going, read other posts describing such and viewed highlights and game later. Sorry you disagree, but your right.