The New Raith Rovers Thread

13 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
30 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:
It’s ok to rip the piss out of people they don’t know when things go Pete Tong. These players can play, so why have we given up or regressed so badly. It’s the usual pish to denegrate fans of the CLUB with bed wetting. If your happy with the way we’re playing then that’s fine. Our manager is dithering and that’s my opinion. It’s not an over reaction it’s a point of fact

It's your opinion. Behave.

If you’re happy with it that’s fine by me. Opinions matter

I think McGlynn referred to 4-2-3-1 as our best set up in the post match interview. 

I think we have to get back to that. Surely we won't go with the 3 centre halves up at Banks of Dee? 

I would play one of Gullan or Ross out wide instead of Zanatta but I'd bring Connolly back in. 

Why are we content to pass it in defence. The other players not showing enough to collect the ball or what. It was like watching a squad of strangers yesterday, and it’s been like that for a while. 
We pissed it about across the back four squeezing the play up and giving no space for someone to come deep, collect and move it forward. We played far to far up the park as a back three so it was easy for Arbroath to swamp the midfield. Berra shouldn't be anywhere near the halfway line with a ball at his feet. It should be taken off him early on in play and driven forward by a player willing to do so dropping deep from midfield.

Arbroath played us perfectly yesterday. When we had the back five in the first half, they didn't press the defence at all, they packed the midfield instead. That's why there was so much side-to-side in the back line. Each of our defenders always had lateral options that were clear and free but nothing in front of them, because the Arbroath forwards were picking up Matthews and Stanton instead of rushing the ball. 
There are ways to combat that, but we never found them (or particularly went looking for them). I think Stanton has the ability to come deep and start unpicking that approach, but he hasn't settled into that role yet. 
In the second half, once Berra went off and we reverted to the back four, Arbroath switched to a high press. With one less option in the back line, it's much easier to force mistakes. Wighton in particular gave the defenders no time. And that led to us going long more often than not, because the defence were panicked. It really was a masterclass in when to press and when not to. Campbell completely out-tacticked McGlynn. 
Someone else mentioned previously that Musonda and Tumilty were in each other's air, and I think that's a very astute observation. Musonda never looked settled on the right hand side of that defence. He seemed to be constantly caught in two minds about where he should be and what he should be doing. 
And to briefly touch on the obvious lack of shots at goal, I'm surprised at the waves of mercy being offered to Ethon Varian. Whilst Gullan offered very little, that's the kind of attacking performance we've seen five or six times in the last couple of months with Varian in the attacking role. I think it offers some mitigation for Varian and evidence that he's not at vault, but I don't see how it strengthens any sort of call for him to be brought back into the fold. We've now played three different strikers, of very different stripes, and none of them have managed two shots at goal in the same game. The problem lies elsewhere. 
I agree with 99% of this post but where I disagree slightly is the 3 strikers are pretty much exactly the same. Trained to play the same way it seems. If one is ineffective they will all be ineffective. We needed something completely different up front. I believe Gullan was not on the radar in this window and we were forced into getting him early. I feel if he was an expected arrival one of the others would have been sent back.

Hi guys.

Random one here and brownie points for whoever gets it

I’m trying to remember which games I’ve been to at starks and I remember Juan Guerrero coming on in the first half and getting hooked at half time.

it sticks out as one of the worst individual performances I’ve witnessed live

can anyone remember the date and/or opposition? 

56 minutes ago, GroundhopScot said:

Hi guys.

Random one here and brownie points for whoever gets it

I’m trying to remember which games I’ve been to at starks and I remember Juan Guerrero coming on in the first half and getting hooked at half time.

it sticks out as one of the worst individual performances I’ve witnessed live

can anyone remember the date and/or opposition? 

Raith Rovers 3 v 2 Ayr United on Saturday 18 October 2008.

That season is a timely reminder of how quickly things can turn around. 2 wins from 8 (1 win from 6) after the 1-0 defeat at home to Ayr United. There was absolutely nothing to suggest we were about to go on an 8 game winning run. If I remember correctly even the 1-0 win at home to bottom of the league Queens Park to start the run was nervy and unconvincing.

Obviously it’s much harder to go on a run like that at this level but if we can just grind a win out of somewhere soon, we might get some confidence back and go on another run like earlier this season. A trip to a resurgent Morton in our next league game suddenly looks very tricky though.

Berra should replace Bene as Captain. He has no clue how to Marshall the defence for some strange reason, we fell to bits when Berra went off. It’s the only choice I’m afraid. He also needs to sit out and let Berra and Lang take control. 

Edited by baillieinleeds

On the plus side of everything, at the Pars game Spencer said he thought he was about 2-3 weeks away.  So while he might not be ready to start the Morton game you'd hope he be at least on the bench for it.  Get him back and if he can pick up where he left off that should be a massive help to turning the form around.

7 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

On the plus side of everything, at the Pars game Spencer said he thought he was about 2-3 weeks away.  So while he might not be ready to start the Morton game you'd hope he be at least on the bench for it.  Get him back and if he can pick up where he left off that should be a massive help to turning the form around.

A week later at Inverness he was doing running drills.

21 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Arbroath played us perfectly yesterday. When we had the back five in the first half, they didn't press the defence at all, they packed the midfield instead. That's why there was so much side-to-side in the back line. Each of our defenders always had lateral options that were clear and free but nothing in front of them, because the Arbroath forwards were picking up Matthews and Stanton instead of rushing the ball. 

There are ways to combat that, but we never found them (or particularly went looking for them). I think Stanton has the ability to come deep and start unpicking that approach, but he hasn't settled into that role yet. 

In the second half, once Berra went off and we reverted to the back four, Arbroath switched to a high press. With one less option in the back line, it's much easier to force mistakes. Wighton in particular gave the defenders no time. And that led to us going long more often than not, because the defence were panicked. It really was a masterclass in when to press and when not to. Campbell completely out-tacticked McGlynn. 

Someone else mentioned previously that Musonda and Tumilty were in each other's air, and I think that's a very astute observation. Musonda never looked settled on the right hand side of that defence. He seemed to be constantly caught in two minds about where he should be and what he should be doing. 

And to briefly touch on the obvious lack of shots at goal, I'm surprised at the waves of mercy being offered to Ethon Varian. Whilst Gullan offered very little, that's the kind of attacking performance we've seen five or six times in the last couple of months with Varian in the attacking role. I think it offers some mitigation for Varian and evidence that he's not at vault, but I don't see how it strengthens any sort of call for him to be brought back into the fold. We've now played three different strikers, of very different stripes, and none of them have managed two shots at goal in the same game. The problem lies elsewhere. 

Just watched the highlights- I had no idea that Arbroath were also missing the championship’s top goal scorer- McKenna.  The Campbells play the daft laddies but they are really smart tactically . Thats Nouble, Dowds gone, missing McKenna. And they  bring in replacements and get a win away to one of their  main rivals.- 👏.

You guys have also come a long way in a short time( ( That Arbroath back 4 have been together for years!- and others also- the benefits of consistency)Think you guys will make the play- offs. Actually think Arbroath might do it- what a story that would be!

My issue isn’t losing the game it’s the manner in which we lost , What motivation does the team need we win we can go joint top and try and pull away from the rest of the teams below us, If rovers matched Arbroath for commitment and effort we weren’t losing that game but we didn’t we had failures all over the park why ? Who knows losing the 15 game unbeaten run has effected them more than we thought ,  we don’t turn into a horrible team over night. John Mcglynn will fix it the players now know what’s required of them and it’s a long way to go

6 hours ago, basher brash said:

My issue isn’t losing the game it’s the manner in which we lost , What motivation does the team need we win we can go joint top and try and pull away from the rest of the teams below us, If rovers matched Arbroath for commitment and effort we weren’t losing that game but we didn’t we had failures all over the park why ? Who knows losing the 15 game unbeaten run has effected them more than we thought ,  we don’t turn into a horrible team over night. John Mcglynn will fix it the players now know what’s required of them and it’s a long way to go

It’s a bit of a nasty choice with the Cup game next, ideally you’d play several bench players to “send a message”, but the cash from the advancement and possible next cash spinning match is very much a consideration. Bank’s is no patsy, so a wholesale jumble and playing some youngsters is likely out, but I still like to see a bit of a shakeup.

2 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Got a ticket in the draw 😀. Anyone know what parking is like round Banks O’Dee ground? Looks like it’s all industrial estates.  

Aberdeen City Council must have spent all the oil money on paint, fucking double yellow lines all over the place.