The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Been a good laugh reading the overreactions in here. 

Aye there has been some serious bed wetting going on, yes we were fucking honking yesterday but it's only 1 game, as frustrating as it was I have faith that we will get out of this rut we have been in the last few weeks. We played very well up at Inverness so the quality is still there.

54 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Been a good laugh reading the overreactions in here. 

I have absolutely no idea where some people's sense of entitlement comes from. It's not a Rovers only issue by any means, it's incredibly widespread. I cannot understand the mindset that leads to the 'bring back hanging' brigade foaming at the mouth after a bad result, demanding half the squad's badges and guns on their desk by Monday morning. 

By no means do I think people need to blithely accept dreadful performances like yesterday. I was straight down the steps at full time rather than clapping the team off, for the first time in a really long time, and I was frustrated watching some of what was offered up, but I can also retain a sense of perspective. 

Some folk just can't be happy unless they're miserable, and then there are the "has the manager taken us as far as he can?" Facebook mob who seem to think the only thing stopping a particular football team from winning every single game they play is self-sabotage, as if the opposition are Beginner-mode NPCs sent out to offer only the illusion of resistance.

15 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Aye there has been some serious bed wetting going on, yes we were fucking honking yesterday but it's only 1 game, as frustrating as it was I have faith that we will get out of this rut we have been in the last few weeks. We played very well up at Inverness so the quality is still there.

It's not one game though, it's five. 

Finally cooled off enough to watch JMcG’s interview. He’s clear that our formations are basically all needing something we don’t have, a target man. He refers to 3-5-2, 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1, and each of those demands a big scoring player up top, either alone, supported by a smaller, agile striker, or with a pair of nippy wingers. We have Varian (nope), Poplatnik (nope), Mitchell (IDK, how big is the lad) and Gullan (again, no) to fill that role, none (seemingly) with the build and skills we need in that role. Our forwards fall into the second striker, supporting striker mould, which is fine if you play that way AND they work well together (see Vaughan, Lewis and Gullan, Jamie previously).

Our problem with 4-2-3-1 is we too often end up compressed as a 4-5-1 with Varian/Poplatnik isolated and ineffective. In our 3-5-2, Dick and Tumilty too often aren’t driving deep enough to provide consistent pressure and threats. I think 4-3-3 is probably the better formation for us overall, but both Dick and Tumilty seem less effective as deeper lying FB’s. Ideally JMcG would be seeking a big, nasty CF still…but with Varian, Pops and Gullan in house, it seems unlikely. Given this, I’d love us to try a 4-4-2…it still wants target men, but it provides the crossing we thrived on early and we’re missing now.

Personally, I'd go back to the 4-2-3-1 that served us well in the early parts of the season. 

It definitely has a couple of drawbacks. You have to sit out either Matthews or (more likely) Williamson, despite neither of them being at the top end of the culpability list for our recent failings. It also brings Zanatta back in, and we know he's not as effective as he was early doors because everyone has been reminded of the specific factors that make him a threat. 

What it would give, though, is a solid back four, a pair in the base of midfield with clearly defined roles, wingers/wide forwards to try and get closer to the striker, and a free-ish role for Ethan Ross to get up behind Gullan/Varian/Poplatnik too. 

It's been tried and hasn't worked every time, but I think it's the best system we've got for the players we have. It's most recent failings came in the fallow period without Spencer or Stanton. From what we've seen from Sam Stanton, I think he can be the correct catalyst in there to get everything ticking again. 

I suspect there's not going to be any more incomings, but if there's room for another body, I'd bring in another left back because I think Dick's a weak link, or a winger to bring more variety and competition alongside Connolly and Zanatta who are a little too predictable. 

Yeah, people being disappointed/annoyed with no wins in our last 5 games isn't exactly a surprise. Moreso when we've made what most would say are good additions to the squad. 

It is also tinged with frustration that we have totally failed to capitalise on our top 5 rivals dropping points as well. And on top of that you can add the concession of an 86th minute equaliser at Inverness and an 82nd minute winner yesterday. 3 points dropped against direct rivals with late goals. 

It isn't good enough. Fair to say that we have sprung a bit of a surprise given where we are against where we thought we might be, but having gotten to January in a very good position and backed the manager by making some good additions, it's disappointing. Immediate improvement is required in the forward department. 

On to some good news from Cowden…Coulson started as left wing:

“The players gave everything especially the front 3 and created numerous chances. Could have been 4 auite easily.

Motm for me quinn coulson. Worked like a trojan and good use of ball and positioning.”

”The boy Coulson was the best player on the park.

Probably says a lot about Gal Bollan he barely featured under him.”

“Quinn Coulston has really come on leaps and bounds since MR gave him a chance.

He could have had a hat trick in the 2nd half.

The front 3 none of them a forward done well with 2 good goals from Robbie and Bobby.”

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It's not one game though, it's five. 

Inverness game was just last week. Are you having that as a bad performance?

That was a pretty good away performance and result. Should have been the win we need but again, an injury, and our goal threat (Ross) had to be subbed. 

It’s ok to rip the piss out of people they don’t know when things go Pete Tong. These players can play, so why have we given up or regressed so badly. It’s the usual pish to denegrate fans of the CLUB with bed wetting. If your happy with the way we’re playing then that’s fine. Our manager is dithering and that’s my opinion. It’s not an over reaction it’s a point of fact

2 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

We've been pish for about 2 months and relying on the opposition to be slightly more pish to sneak results. The "bed wetting" is justified. 

4 minutes ago, JaketheSnake said:

We've been pish for about 2 months and relying on the opposition to be slightly more pish to sneak results. The "bed wetting" is justified. 

The usual suspects just want to attack anyone that breaks the narrative of nothing to see here. We’re fine. Our current form is a relegation mind set. 

It’s ok to rip the piss out of people they don’t know when things go Pete Tong. These players can play, so why have we given up or regressed so badly. It’s the usual pish to denegrate fans of the CLUB with bed wetting. If your happy with the way we’re playing then that’s fine. Our manager is dithering and that’s my opinion. It’s not an over reaction it’s a point of fact
It's your opinion. Behave.