The New Raith Rovers Thread

Jamie Gullan isn't the answer.  Offers absolutely nothing if asked to play a lone striker role like today.  Granted, we created little for him, but if that is the conclusion our business for attacking players then we won't finish in the top 4.  The title is gone, its about trying to get to the playoffs now.

Any thoughts of winning the league are gone after that inept and gutless performance, only thing we can hope for is avoid disaster next weekend and then draw one of the arse cheeks away for a pay day. Just brutal, hopefully we can sustain a play off postion but on that showing .... ????

Just now, CALDERON said:

Why?

Because we could’ve held on to K MacDonald, and the brand of football we played last season could’ve been a springboard for some cracking part timers a la Arbroath. They have totally shown the way. We have no attacking players. How many shots on target have we made lately. I don’t understand why we seem to have regressed since we pumped Hamilton 

We're far too easy to play against currently.  The opposition just need to let us have the ball in our own half, and can then be completely comfortable as they watch us slow everything down by passing it between ourselves outside our own box until either a) somebody plays a bad pass and we lose possession.  b) somebody misscontrols it and we lose possession. or c) we end up playing a long ball to nobody and lose possession.

McGlynn seemed to be screaming at them to quicken things up and it's really needed.  Other teams are happy enough to play it direct quickly at times to take advantages of gaps, whereas we seem to be determined to pass it around the defence for 30 seconds first before we do anything giving the opposition time to get back into position.

That was absolutely awful today. Felt like there were signs we were on our way back to our best with a strong performance last week and then we serve up that today, no wonder McGlynn doesn’t have any hair left to tear out.

As discussed, there are far too many players well off form just now. Tumilty was fantastic the first quarter of the season but has been very poor for months now and his mistakes and defensive vulnerabilities are costing us points. I’m not sure Liam Dick will ever be good enough for a team challenging the top 4. Steady but limited defender, poor going forward, looks every bit a third choice signing. I don’t suppose a new left back is the most sensible use of an already stretched budget but it would really add a different dimension to our attack. In the centre I think we need to go back to a 2 with Berra and one other. Bene was excellent at Partick when he came back in and he was the better of himself and Lang the next 2 games but Berra and one of Bene/Lang/Musonda will be fine and I think Berra and Lang have probably been our best partnership.

In midfield it’s like we are still trying to find the right balance in the middle but I think that is caused by our wingers being miles off form. All are good players individually and I have hope once they get a bit more and with the return of Spencer we’ll be okay there.

Up front and wide is where the biggest issues are. We absolutely need a physical presence up front. Varian is the best we have at that at the moment but 1 league goal speaks for itself and he has been off form for a while now (although I thought he was better last week). We absolutely still need another striker. So much of our good play at the start of the season was built on the movement and quality of Zanatta and Connolly with them both off form, it really leaves us struggling for creativity. If Gullan plays up front, it needs to be in a two, he doesn’t have the all round game to play a lone central striker.

At the moment we look most likely to drop out the top 4 and finish 5th. We need to get a confidence boosting win next week and build on that going into a suddenly very tricky looking trip to Cappielow, the season is danger of getting away from us very quickly.

I’d probably go back to the 4-3-3 we played before Ross joined but with Ross and Gullan either side of Varian or hopefully a new striker ahead of a midfield 3 of Matthews, Williamson and Stanton. However, for that to work we badly need Tumilty back on form and Dick to offer more going forward.

8 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Where the feck do we go from here, has the Baldy one taken us as far as he can , I'm begining to wonder 

I wouldn’t say he’s taken us as far he can. I just think he Dithers too much

We've basically got 14 friendlies left. We're unlikely to finish worse than 5th but there's absolutely no chance we'll make the top 4.

We did learn a couple of things today though. Musonda is clearly 4th choice at centre back and Gullan is never a lone striker in a million years.

Also, if I never see Zanatta in a Rovers shirt again it'll be too soon. 

22 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Where the feck do we go from here, has the Baldy one taken us as far as he can , I'm begining to wonder 

Where did you think we would finish at the start of the season when you saw who we’d lost and who we’d signed?

We’ve been outstanding the past two seasons. This is just a bump in the road. I wouldn’t want another manager. If we make the play-offs again McGlynn will have done more than I expected at the start of the season. 

10 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We've basically got 14 friendlies left. We're unlikely to finish worse than 5th but there's absolutely no chance we'll make the top 4.

We did learn a couple of things today though. Musonda is clearly 4th choice at centre back and Gullan is never a lone striker in a million years.

Also, if I never see Zanatta in a Rovers shirt again it'll be too soon. 

So, we won’t get relegated then?

It's been like this for months. Even when we were getting results it was through luck and other teams wasting chances. McGlynn needs to drastically change the way we play. We play like football games last 2 days and not 90 minutes, Happy to just slowly plod along playing sideways passes and playing with zero intensity. 

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Where did you think we would finish at the start of the season when you saw who we’d lost and who we’d signed?

We’ve been outstanding the past two seasons. This is just a bump in the road. I wouldn’t want another manager. If we make the play-offs again McGlynn will have done more than I expected at the start of the season. 

I'd have settled for mid table , but we carried that form on and had a run of games that saw McGlynn say we'll have a tilt at the title but We've been chronic since the begining of December though and there has to be a reason for that dramatic drop in form and a team that couldn't score in a brothel

It just goes to show how much we miss Spencer. Not been the same since he got injured.

We also have been crying out for a proper target man and so far we for whatever reason can't find or sign one. 

Lang also should never have been dropped, Bene has been terrible. 

Agree with some comments about Dick just not good enough and Matthews has also not been on it. 

Zanatta may have gone off the boil but our only creative spark is him and Connolly. 

7 minutes ago, Wardy said:

FAO the Chief Executive. My brother was chucked out of hospitality today for basically shouting that Jamie Gullan Should have trapped a long ball. 

I'm in possession of absolutely none of the facts, but I'm going to suggest that absolutely anyone being chucked out of hospitality at a football match is probably a walloper. 

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I'm sure there's a whole other thread for talking about Dunfermline Athletic, chief.