The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Got me pondering our committed team members. Our holes going forward would be RB (Tumilty and Musonda both out of contract with no clear cover on the team) and questions at striker. Otherwise we seem to have a very viable core for Championship, or even lower half Premiership competition.

We expect to lose Musonda and McKay in the back, and risk losing Tumilty, so surely we’ve been expending some effort to either re-sign one of Tumilty or Musonda or to identify a suitable replacement. Midfield seems decently stocked, however with BRS likely to leave, we still could use a depth player depending on the expectations for Arnott and Coulson next year and if Vaughan can return.. Wings seem fine, but striker still seems listless and weak, even with Gullan (if he plays as one), until Mitchell and Mahady’s development is clear, since Keatings is the other “striker”.

While Vaughan previously strengthened our striking force because of his electric abilities, and the demand he be properly marked (drawing covering players from out strikers), until we are sure he can return and reach his previous levels, we look certain to be seeking a true striker to somehow replace Keatings. If we intend Gullan at striker going forward, an “experienced” player in the mound of Berra might be a viable choice, but that might have been the idea with Keatings…

Of the players out of contract in the summer I'd suspect they'll hang off signing a new deal until it's known what league we're in. If we go up I'd be surprised if Spencer, Musonda and Tumilty aren't battering down McGlynns door each with a pen in their hand. 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

if Vaughan can return..

McGlynn in his interview went out his way to point out that he expects Vaughan to have recovered by the summer.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

For me, the best central defensive pairing I’ve seen this season is Berra and Bene. It just seemed a nice balance and Bene was playing his best football for years.

I think either Benedictus or Lang paired with Berra works fine, but like others I prefer Berra and Lang.

Thinking outside the box here but could we do something Lee Griffiths? Celtic don't want him back, Dundee are desperate to get rid.

Yes he does have baggage but I step down a level to aower profile club might help him get his head down and McGlynn might get a tune out of him.  

Aye, I wasn’t too pleased about Super John mentioning Vaughany to be honest. Needs to learn from previous seasons. For me the team should no longer be built round him (said it before he done his knee last time round - up in Forfar). And if Vaughan happens to be fit, then play him every 3rd week or so, or just at home on our pitch. It’s an absolute crying shame for the boy, but he needs to be protected from himself.

Just now, WSDR 88 said:

Aye, I wasn’t too pleased about Super John mentioning Vaughany to be honest. Needs to learn from previous seasons. For me the team should no longer be built round him (said it before he done his knee last time round - up in Forfar). And if Vaughan happens to be fit, then play him every 3rd week or so, or just at home on our pitch. It’s an absolute crying shame for the boy, but he needs to be protected from himself.

Couldn't agree more. We all hope he recovers fully and goes on to have a long successful career  however, I fear he may brake down again. We need to build the team around Stanton, hopefully Spencer, Ross and Gullan. 

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

It's Berra and Lang, for me. 

Same here all day long

Lang is not only a good defender but a very good footballer,yeah hes been off it a few games but I can name a handful of players that fall into that bracket

Edited by Rovers_Lad

34 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Thinking outside the box here but could we do something Lee Griffiths? Celtic don't want him back, Dundee are desperate to get rid.

Yes he does have baggage but I step down a level to aower profile club might help him get his head down and McGlynn might get a tune out of him.  

From Goodwillie to Griffiths. Might as well sign Craig Thomson for right back if we're needing cover until the end of the season...

Yeah Griffiths is a horrific shout.
Even ignoring the sexual deviant side of his character, our dressing room seems to be built around players who are hungry and willing to work hard for the team.

While I’ve no doubt Griffiths (and Goodwillie, and Jason Cummings) would get a good few goals for us, I think the negative impact of that type of character on the dressing room wouldn’t be worth it.

40 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Yeah Griffiths is a horrific shout.
Even ignoring the sexual deviant side of his character, our dressing room seems to be built around players who are hungry and willing to work hard for the team.

While I’ve no doubt Griffiths (and Goodwillie, and Jason Cummings) would get a good few goals for us, I think the negative impact of that type of character on the dressing room wouldn’t be worth it.

If Val McDermid put the brakes on us signing Gallagher and Goodwillie I doubt she’s sit by and watch us sign Griffiths.

36 minutes ago, Frankly, Mr Shankly said:

You’d have to be mad to turn down Griffiths at this level. 

Me:

simpsons-milhouse.gif.a1f5495b7b4a5d8c49c52e54fcc610ef.gif

Spoiler

Griffiths is a waster on the Gary O'Connor career trajectory. He's only scored twice for Dundee this season, and he's staring down the barrel of a lengthy suspension (and possibly more) for kicking a flare into a group of fans. 

He's an absolute puddin', from top to toe. 

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

I think Griffiths is far more likely to go to a club like Dunfermline or Kilmarnock rather than ourselves: much like Cummings I don't see him as a "McGlynn like character" given what he's been involved in off the pitch. 

Wherever he goes he takes a host of young supporters with him.

12 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Wherever he goes he takes a host of young supporters with him.

He certainly does, as much as I would have been against the Goodwille transfer I'd be totally up for Cummings or Griffiths in. Do they have baggage ? hell yeah just not as much as the affore mentioned, just can't see it happaning, I understand Central Coast Mariners are looking at Cummings, Australia or Kirkcaldy ? for money I know which one I'd choose, also I don't think we could afford Griffiths, he 'could if fit enough' bang in a hell of a lot of goals at this level but is it worth it ? possibly but I doubt we will find out.

Edited by keyser_soze

People have been saying that Griffiths could be great if he was fit for about three years now. There comes a time to accept that the guy has probably gave up on trying to rebuild his career and is just looking for the next wage. I’m not convinced in the slightest that he would drop to this level and tear the league up. He’d do okay but I think he’s lost all motivation and his body is miles away from what it needs to be to last a full game.

6 hours ago, Beachbum said:

A midfield without Spencer is not decently stocked.

We’ll have Stanton, Matthews, Connolly (and, depending on how you list them, Ross and Zanatta), Arnott (potentially ready), Coulson (unlikely to be ready) and Vaughan (let’s face it, he’s really an AM the way we use him). Spencer would be excellent to re-sign, but not the most pressing need.

Edited by TxRover