The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, embow said:

Announced officially..Where?

Not seeing anything as per recent club statement.

Any further transfer activity will be announced first on the club’s official channels, after all of the relevant paperwork has been submitted and approved by the appropriate football authorities.

https://www.raithrovers.net/51948/jamie-gullan-signs-2.htm

I'm shocked by some of the reactions on here. Here is a lad, 22 years old, quick, good left peg and versatile, can play up top, in behind and out left. What's not to like. The pace of him, Ross, Zanatta and the skill of Connolly surely puts fear in most defences. With a vert solid 3 in midfield with Spencer to return gives us a very solid team.

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Good god Tx gie they boy a chance ,who the hell else is there available,  hes a known quantity miles better than what we currently have and at least knows where the goals are

Tx was backing Luke Mahady heavily, I suspect.

I'm shocked by some of the reactions on here. Here is a lad, 22 years old, quick, good left peg and versatile, can play up top, in behind and out left. What's not to like. The pace of him, Ross, Zanatta and the skill of Connolly surely puts fear in most defences. With a vert solid 3 in midfield with Spencer to return gives us a very solid team.
I'm with you. 14 goals in 50 games, of which 36 were starts. That's better than 1 goal every 4 games and includes him playing wide and in front of a much poorer and less creative midfield than we have now. I think if we play him direct he can work well with Ross, as he did with Vaughan, and combine with Varian's nuisance value to get a decent haul. Perhaps unburdened by expectations Zanatta finds form again too. Everyone wants a 30 goals striker. There are none out there. Looks like we beat a few clubs to his signature and I'm happy to have him back. Would you much rather he was playing against us?

5 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
21 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I'm with you. 14 goals in 50 games, of which 36 were starts. That's better than 1 goal every 4 games and includes him playing wide and in front of a much poorer and less creative midfield than we have now. I think if we play him direct he can work well with Ross, as he did with Vaughan, and combine with Varian's nuisance value to get a decent haul. Perhaps unburdened by expectations Zanatta finds form again too. Everyone wants a 30 goals striker. There are none out there. Looks like we beat a few clubs to his signature and I'm happy to have him back. Would you much rather he was playing against us?

Did he? He got, like 8 or 9 in league 1 playing in front of Matthews, Spencer and Hendry and about 4 or 5 playing for us last year in front of a midfield of, er, Matthews, Spencer and Hendry (with Tait appearing in both spells)... did he even score in his first spell which was in front of an admittedly shite midfield?

I mean, I really don't like to nitpick, but I wouldn't describe the midfield he's played in front of for two of his three loan spells as poor or not creative. I mean the midfield of the last two seasons before this have generally held to be amongst the best we've had in 25 years, no?

Edited by renton

Did he? He got, like 8 or 9 in league 1 playing in front of Matthews, Spencer and Hendry and about 4 or 5 playing for us last year in front of a midfield of, er, Matthews, Spencer and Hendry (with Tait appearing in both spells)... did he even score in his first spell which was in front of an admittedly shite midfield?
I mean, I really don't like to nitpick, but I wouldn't describe the midfield he's played in front of for two of his three loan spells as poor or not creative.
So he DID play in front of a shite midfield in early days? And still managed better than 1 in 4 for us?

Good signing.

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Good god Tx gie they boy a chance ,who the hell else is there available,  hes a known quantity miles better than what we currently have and at least knows where the goals are

He’s gutted Mahady, Mitchell and Coulson haven’t had there shot. He’s still weeping salty tears about Mendy leaving methinks

Edited by baillieinleeds

I'm in the meh camp but there's a good chance he'll come good; he knows how we play, which is a plus, and surely he'll be better than what we have.

PS - On the other hand he's obviously enthusiastic about the Rovers and keen to do well; we could have brought a go-through-the-motions jobber in, a la Duku.

Edited by Raith_Raver

Braw, no doubt had other options and the care and attention of the club reaps rewards. 

It's January, we have no cash so ots good business, IMO we need dependable and familiar above a Down South gamble.

Would love to think we have a random up our sleeve but if not then 3 great additions have been sourced. 

Seeing the show reel with Bowie celebrating a Hammer goal peaks my hopes.

1 hour ago, embow said:

Announced officially..Where?

Not seeing anything as per recent club statement.

Any further transfer activity will be announced first on the club’s official channels, after all of the relevant paperwork has been submitted and approved by the appropriate football authorities.

There were photos of Williamson in a Rovers top/training kit floating around at least 3 days before we signed him. I'd imagine that the bit at the bottom ties into that. 

Happy we've got another option up top. Thoughts and prayers to the Rovers Da contingent on facebook who were asking "WhAt AbOuT kEaTiNgS?!11"

I mean, I really don't like to nitpick, but I wouldn't describe the midfield he's played in front of for two of his three loan spells as poor or not creative. I mean the midfield of the last two seasons before this have generally held to be amongst the best we've had in 25 years, no?

I think you missed the point he was trying to make, he’s got 14 (according to Raith TV interview- wiki has it as 13) goals for us in 50 games.
Those 50 games includes some games where he was utilised wide or in front of a far worse midfield than we have now (i.e in his first loan spell).

He played 10 games for us in his first spell in front of that poor midfield and didn’t score.

Which means he’s got his 13/14 goals in just 40 games supported by a decent midfield- that’s a good return.