The New Raith Rovers Thread

Massive congratulations to former Stenhousemuir FC, Airdrieonians FC and RaithRovers star Willis Furtado on making the final squad for Cape Verde at the AFCON tournament. A big achievement and a lifetime memory. A very talented player.

Still remember his screamer at hampden.

25 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Jamie Gullan any good? I’ve never actually seen him play against us but from memory you guys seemed to like him. 

We're a bit split on how good he is, some thinking he's the answer to our striker problem while others like me think they're  over rating him.  IMO he's a good team player but not as a main striker, he didnt score many for us.

Edited by Raith_Raver

26 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Jamie Gullan any good? I’ve never actually seen him play against us but from memory you guys seemed to like him. 

He's OK. His 2nd loan spell for us in league 1 was probably his best for us playing in an attacking 3.

Can fair leather a football but isn't really a No 9. Last spell for us he had a few good games, and a few utter stinkers.

39 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would take him back as an alternative option up front but not as a starter. Not sure he's good enough for a team fighting at the top of the table or for the step up to the Premiership but a decent option for a lower Championship/upper League One side in my opinion. 

He's got a lot of the ingredients you'd want in a young striker, but it's a case of how well he can develop each of them to become a finished product. 

He's obviously had a bit more development time (although not a huge amount of first team game time) since we last saw him, but I'd say he's currently a good League One striker. He'd be a first pick at that level. In the Championship, he's good enough to be man of the match on his day, but he'll also need time on the bench. I don't know that he'll ever be a 20 goal a season striker at this level or above, but he could be a very effective second striker. 

Despite the fact that what we really need is just raw goals at the moment, I'd be pleased if we signed him permanently. He's got a lot of potential. If we brought him in just on a loan until the end of the season, without any other forwards coming in, I'd be a little disappointed. 

Gullan was at his best when he was up top with Vaughan. We've had him multiple times and he's never really looked like he was going to kick on. It might be our system, or the just his development, but as RATM says I'd be a bit disappointed if we brought him back in again. It almost feels like a "we've looked elsewhere but we'll just go for him again" - that isn't to say he's a bad player. 

I thought in his last loan spell you could really see he’d bulked up a bit and looked a more complete player. I’m a fan, I think he’s a lot going for him and he’s got the main thing we lack right now - he can fair strike a ball. If it was up to me I’d have him back with open arms.

Edited by Enigma

It’s only a rumour and there are other clubs interested in him but if we signed him I doubt we’d play him as a number 9. We’ve got Adeloye for that but we could do with someone to play just off him and create space and chip in with a few goals. I suspect we may have a chance of getting him through Mathie but given Killie and St Johnstone are also interested I’m not overly confident. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s only a rumour and there are other clubs interested in him but if we signed him I doubt we’d play him as a number 9. We’ve got Adeloye for that but we could do with someone to play just off him and create space and chip in with a few goals. I suspect we may have a chance of getting him through Mathie but given Killie and St Johnstone are also interested I’m not overly confident. 

If that's what you're after he'll do fine.

38 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If that's the standard St Johnstone are looking at we'll all be seeing them next season. 

I’d be happy for Gullan to sign for us but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he didn’t.

On the other hand, I would be disappointed if he signed for another championship team.
That’s where I am with him- good player, he’s got enough about him to cause championship defences a problem, but he’s not a prolific goal scorer or a stand-out at this level.

21 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Thats kinda what I was alluding to, so its likely both Stanton and Williamson will be on from the start

I doubt they will both start. It’ll probably be Matthews and Stanton with Ross as the attacking midfielder. Assuming everyone is fit and available that is.

17 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

I’d be happy for Gullan to sign for us but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he didn’t.

On the other hand, I would be disappointed if he signed for another championship team.
That’s where I am with him- good player, he’s got enough about him to cause championship defences a problem, but he’s not a prolific goal scorer or a stand-out at this level.

That’s pretty much where I am with him as well. I think if we had a prolific striker in the squad I’d be happy to sign him but he’s not what we need at the moment.