The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Quite frustrating that this seems to come up fairly often without any real threat of actually happening. Drives the fan base apart and turns folk on one another. 

Any club is better off not having roasters fans that want someone like him in the squad.

There seems to a view he'd be guaranteed goals which reminds me of how we signed Spence and Buchanan who scored about 60 goals between them the season before Barry Smith brought them in. I don't think either ended the season on double figures.

Then you have our most successful goalscorers over the last decade who both were signed up after underperformed at their previous clubs to some degree.

8 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

There seems to a view he'd be guaranteed goals which reminds me of how we signed Spence and Buchanan who scored about 60 goals between them the season before Barry Smith brought them in. I don't think either ended the season on double figures.

Then you have our most successful goalscorers over the last decade who both were signed up after underperformed at their previous clubs to some degree.

Buchanan played 25, scored 9.

Spence played 43, scored 13.

All as per Soccerbase.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I see Val McDermid is on twitter saying she doesn’t want him running around with her name across his chest. I think it’s safe to say this won’t be happening. 

Well that’ll be an end of it then! Whether just rumours and speculation or any genuine substance there’s surely not a chance the Rovers board would risk Val McDermid pulling her sponsorship over signing Goodwillie

Goodwillie has been linked with us a fair few times and I think someone at the club had to publicly say he would not sign for Ayr for the stories to stop. Looks like they have moved to Raith. 

Its a strange feeling when you are linked with him, You don't want to sign him, but if he did sign, would you stop going? If you did would you celebrate if he scored? Then you have a section of your fanbase who become experts in the law and discuss the difference between civil and criminal convictions. 

Playing devils advocate for a minute It does bring up an interesting point on the rehabilitation of offenders.

Where would people draw the line with a signing would they for arguments sake give someone convicted of murder or manslaughter a chance or would that be a compete no go?

For what it's worth I don't want him for a few reasons. 

1. it would cast a shadow over the off field work the club are doing.

2. It could create a very uncomfortable working environment for employees of the club. 

3. It's a ticking time bomb should he have any further allegations laid against him even if they were 100% malicious.

4. From a footballing perspective I don't think he is at this level anymore.  

Playing devils advocate for a minute It does bring up an interesting point on the rehabilitation of offenders.
Where would people draw the line with a signing would they for arguments sake give someone convicted of murder or manslaughter a chance or would that be a compete no go?
2. It could create a very uncomfortable working environment for employees of the club. 
3. It's a ticking time bomb should he have any further allegations laid against him even if they were 100% malicious.

He can "rehabilitate" himself in society but there's no obligation for us to do that with us. Playing football is a bit of an anomaly as its entertainment: you've got shareholders in an indirect form in supporters.

Football fans definitely seem to be a bit more forgiving for stuff like this as they want to see the club they're "invested in" do well. We've had numerous players involved in unsavoury incidents before often involving drink but nothing like this.

2 minutes ago, pub car king said:

There probably is some degree of hypocrisy in my view, I will accept. Rehabilitation of offenders is important and removing employment opportunities hinders that. Like you, I don't want him near the club. 

However I think acceptance of what you have done and remorse for those actions are vital parts of the rehabilitation process. I have seen no indication that Goodwillie has shown remorse for his actions. 

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I'm all for rehabilitation, and given offenders a second chance... but rehabilitation requires admitting your wrong doing, contrition and a desire to improve and change.

48 minutes ago, renton said:

I'm all for rehabilitation, and given offenders a second chance... but rehabilitation requires admitting your wrong doing, contrition and a desire to improve and change.

This is the point that gets lost for me.  Seen some comparison online to Martindale at Livi, someone who had shown genuine remorse.

Part of being a community club may (may) well mean having a part to play in people's rehabilitation,  but if that was ever to be the case, you need pretty considerable lashings of remorse and recognition of wrongdoing.

Edited by CALDERON