The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’d be happy to see Gullan back but not as our much needed number 9. He’d add good depth and quality to the attacking areas with his versatility being able to play as a centre forward, 10 or wide and he’s a good age to continue developing as well as being familiar with the club, management and style of play.

However, if we continue with the current system we need a number 9 with a bit more physical presence that can hold the ball up and bring the likes of Ross/Zanatta/Connolly and Gullan, if he signs, into the game.

Stanton, Williamson, Gullan and a good quality number 9 would be a very decent window though. 

Just now, R.R.FC said:

I’d be happy to see Gullan back but not as our much needed number 9. He’d add good depth and quality to the attacking areas with his versatility being able to play as a centre forward, 10 or wide and he’s a good age to continue developing as well as being familiar with the club, management and style of play.

However, if we continue with the current system we need a number 9 with a bit more physical presence that can hold the ball up and bring the likes of Ross/Zanatta/Connolly and Gullan, if he signs, into the game.

Stanton, Williamson, Gullan and a good quality number 9 would be a very decent window though. 

Agree about Gullan.

Would he be a bad signing? Definitely not. Is he really, really, what we need though? No.

There’s absolutely no chance we will sign Goodwillie but I’d certainly ‘accept’ it if it happened.

A player like him might be the difference between us flirting with the playoffs and actually gaining promotion. The club being successful is more important than any moral obligation. Even our club captain was in court for assault a few years ago. I get that his offence was far more socially acceptable however. 

I agree with what someone posted earlier, Goodwillie will be with Clyde forever I think!

Goodwillie has been linked to us (and everybody else) before and I believe there was an at least semi-serious attempt to sign him a couple of years ago. It’s a no from me though. Bring back Ziggy or The Hammer (or both!)

Edited by Enigma

19 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The Ayrshire Derby on the 2nd has been moved to February. Presumably we'll be looking for the same. I imagine the Pars would need to agree, but you'd think they'd be happy enough with that given the amount of surgery their squad will undergo in January. 

I hope not. 

29 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The Ayrshire Derby on the 2nd has been moved to February. Presumably we'll be looking for the same. I imagine the Pars would need to agree, but you'd think they'd be happy enough with that given the amount of surgery their squad will undergo in January. 

Would be some brass neck from you, given you voted to play on. At least Killie voted to stop. 

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

Would be some brass neck from you, given you voted to play on. At least Killie voted to stop. 

Not really. The choice on the table was playing all or playing none. Nobody offered up the option of playing some games but not the ones that will make you a fortune. 

I've not seen it confirmed anywhere how the Rovers voted, although I suspect it was to continue. That must've been a very difficult decision, given it involved forgoing our biggest payday of the season. If it's now clear that certain games can be moved (and it is), it's only right that the Rovers explore that option. 

7 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Not really. The choice on the table was playing all or playing none. Nobody offered up the option of playing some games but not the ones that will make you a fortune. 

I've not seen it confirmed anywhere how the Rovers voted, although I suspect it was to continue. That must've been a very difficult decision, given it involved forgoing our biggest payday of the season. If it's now clear that certain games can be moved (and it is), it's only right that the Rovers explore that option. 

Kilmarnock, Dunfermline, Inverness and Queens voted to stop, the rest voted to play on. 

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If an option that Raith wanted wasn't on the table, surely they could have proposed it.

I imagine we were happy to keep going (as stupid as that seems post Ayr game) and I imagine McGlynn would rather keep playing. On the other hand, if we change our minds, the precedent is set for allowing a call off.

I'd be very surprised if we voted to continue, the prevailing feeling from Starks was that Rovers were all for a total break, the FLO Margie intimated as much.

Re David Goodwillie, he priced himself out of a move to us when we were desperate for a goalscorer to get us out of L1, unless Clyde are now unable to continue to pay his exorbitant wages then he's still contracted on a long deal and wont move.  Long and the short of it being he's now 2 years older than he was when we were after him, he's 32  and not worth £1k a week, if we have that kind of cash to splash (and I'd doubt we do) then I think we'd be looking elsewhere.

Incoming, Stanton is box to box and if we get Williamson so is he and if we got Gullan and/or A N Other as well I reckon 3 changes would revitalise the team.

Tait has been off the boil but so has Ross, but in fact who hasn't? 

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If an option that Raith wanted wasn't on the table, surely they could have proposed it.

I don't know that "let clubs pick and choose which fixtures to play now and which to play later" would've carried, but that's where we are now, and it's only fair if everyone's allowed to join in. 

The most realistic situation to prevent it now would be Dunfermline refusing the request, which I'd be fine with. I don't love that we've been left with our rivals being able to decide whether or not we bring in an extra £50k revenue, but these are strange times we live in. If anything, I'm surprised Ayr were so keen to help their Ayrshire brethren. 

6 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I don't know that "let clubs pick and choose which fixtures to play now and which to play later" would've carried, but that's where we are now, and it's only fair if everyone's allowed to join in.

"Allow postponements where both clubs agree to it" is not an unreasonable position to take, given that some clubs wanted to stop and others didn't.

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

We’d agree to move the game,  we were one of the sensible clubs who could see the idiocy of playing on with severely limited crowds.

But yet you were happy to play a full season last year with nobody in the ground?

The issue of postponing is a lottery. Who’s to say things will have died down after a break? Will you then end up having to play a congested run of games still with no fans? No one knows. There’s no right answer.

Edited by Jilted John