The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

The only positives from this are that we have known for 3 months that Tait is away so I am sure McGlynn will have been working to get something lined up quickly and also in regular dialogue with Hibs as to what the likelihood is of Tait being loaned back at any point.

To lose Spencer ahead of some of our biggest games of the season is a huge blow but again, it’s happened just over 3 weeks away from the transfer window, this could have happened at the start of October and we’d have been well and truly fucked.

On the more negative side, January is traditionally a tougher market to get quality players in, particularly those ready to hit the ground running. As much as McGlynn’s signing record has been strong for us, his January transfer record is  not good and highlights the difficulty of the market. A quick check suggests his signings from January onwards each season since he returned are:

2018/2019

Jamie Gullan (1st spell)     
Jamie Barjonas     
Craig McGuffie     
Dean Lyness     
Tony Dingwall 

2019/2020

Steven MacLean

2020/2021

Kai Kennedy     
Timmy Abraham   
Adam King    
Jamie Gullan   
Nathan Cooney

I am possibly missing some obvious ones but from that list Steven MacLean and possibly Jamie Gullan last season are the only clear successes. We’ll need a better hit rate this time around to keep us in the mix.

Kinda hoping that finances were a lot tighter back then that dictated the quality of loanee we got 

Just now, pantene proV said:

If Tait goes, might we get Scott Allan instead?

St Mirren were seconds away from signing him at the close of the window, you'd have to think they'd still be keen to get him. 

He'd be a tremendous signing, though. More technical ability than anyone else in this division, hands down. 

Incidentally, I hadn't heard much about Nathan Cooney so assumed he was back at Dundee United, doing nothing. But he's been at Elgin City since August... doing nothing. Fewer than 450 minutes of football. 

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

The only positives from this are that we have known for 3 months that Tait is away so I am sure McGlynn will have been working to get something lined up quickly and also in regular dialogue with Hibs as to what the likelihood is of Tait being loaned back at any point.

To lose Spencer ahead of some of our biggest games of the season is a huge blow but again, it’s happened just over 3 weeks away from the transfer window, this could have happened at the start of October and we’d have been well and truly fucked.

On the more negative side, January is traditionally a tougher market to get quality players in, particularly those ready to hit the ground running. As much as McGlynn’s signing record has been strong for us, his January transfer record is  not good and highlights the difficulty of the market. A quick check suggests his signings from January onwards each season since he returned are:

2018/2019

Jamie Gullan (1st spell)     
Jamie Barjonas     
Craig McGuffie     
Dean Lyness     
Tony Dingwall 

2019/2020

Steven MacLean

2020/2021

Kai Kennedy     
Timmy Abraham   
Adam King    
Jamie Gullan   
Nathan Cooney

I am possibly missing some obvious ones but from that list Steven MacLean and possibly Jamie Gullan last season are the only clear successes. We’ll need a better hit rate this time around to keep us in the mix.

In 18/19 he appeared to be just signing anyone to give us some depth, especially with Hendry and Vaughan being injured. 

Last season Abraham was a flop and Cooney was just brought in for cover due to Frankie getting injured. 

The Kennedy signing was a no brainer at the time, and although he faded over the last couple of months he still made a positive contribution overall. Certainly nothing like the Barrie McKay-esque descriptions of him being thrown around on the Pars thread.

He absolutely has to get this right this time though. As you say, I just hope that he has someone in mind to replace Tait and that's not what the signing of Ross was.

17 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

In 18/19 he appeared to be just signing anyone to give us some depth, especially with Hendry and Vaughan being injured. 

Last season Abraham was a flop and Cooney was just brought in for cover due to Frankie getting injured. 

The Kennedy signing was a no brainer at the time, and although he faded over the last couple of months he still made a positive contribution overall. Certainly nothing like the Barrie McKay-esque descriptions of him being thrown around on the Pars thread.

He absolutely has to get this right this time though. As you say, I just hope that he has someone in mind to replace Tait and that's not what the signing of Ross was.

Yeah, like you say 18/19 was a bit of a mess with a reduced budget and scrambling around trying to replace the quality of Vaughan, Hendry and Armstrong was never likely to happen. Have to admit, I was very happy with the Barjonas, Lyness and Dingwall signings at the time but ultimately they didn’t work out.

Last year, I was certain when our business was finished we’d done very well. King didn’t come with great reviews but was 4th choice, Cooney was unlikely to play and I think was signed in case Davo got a more severe ban than he did. Kennedy on paper looked like an upgrade on Ross. Abraham and Gullan also appeared like upgrades on Lokotsch (and Gullan certainly was) but looking back now it wasn’t a great window.

Yeah, it’s hard to tell how much the Ross deal ate into the budget. However, we were widely reported as being in for Callum Hendry before the Tait move so I’m confident there is money there to add a couple of quality players, just need to hope McGlynn gets it right which despite my post about his January record I do have faith he will.

Fucking hell, I thought we had it bad with our captain Sean Welsh only being able to play 3 games in a row before getting injured.  Did you guys do something in a previous life?

Looking at the window and the middle of the field:

Tait: Departing in early January, with a late January retirement unlikely, but possible…starter if on team.

Spencer: Out until at least mid-February, likely March…likely starter when healthy.

Matthews: Seems heathy, but also hasn’t been as much of a factor recently so could be harbouring a niggle…likely starter when healthy.

Musonda: Has the vision, passing ability and mobility to succeed as a midfielder, and perhaps better suited to DM roles given his previous play at FB and CB. However, vastly under-experienced in the role for getting dropped straight in as a starter at the Championship level. As a competitor, would likely succeed, but it might be a bit rocky…potential starter, in somewhat tricky circumstances, but also a significant loss of depth in the defence if we do this, as he’s our default coverage at FB and secondary coverage at CB.

Ross: Would be able to fill a center mid role, but would be a waste of his potential and ability as a #10…starter at AM or winger, could fill CM in a time of desperate need, but would be near criminal.

Connolly and Zanatta: Both really wingers with little to contribute to midfield, though might play in extremis…not even worth considering in normal times.

Riley-Snow: Hasn’t recaptured some of the earlier flashes of potential since getting demoted for stupidity (two yellows). Tackling tends to the agricultural and has shown a possible Davoish streak of anger. Physically gifted, but doesn’t seem to get the result from that you’d expect…cannon fodder, at the present time.

Arnott: Bags of potential and has shown a cool head and calm demeanor when allowed a chance. Looks the real thing, perhaps the next Hendry or Tait if given time to develop properly…probably the current preferred fill-in starter.

Coulson: Has started getting a bit more time out on loan and, while being characterized as raw, is also credited with a never say never streak a mile wide. Shows potential, but won’t be ready for Championship level play this season, or probably the next…most likely to be loaned out, if we can risk it, and would benefit from it.

Tait: Departing in early January, with a late January retirement unlikely, but possible…starter if on team.
Spencer: Out until at least mid-February, likely March…likely starter when healthy.
Matthews: Seems heathy, but also hasn’t been as much of a factor recently so could be harbouring a niggle…likely starter when healthy.
Musonda: Has the vision, passing ability and mobility to succeed as a midfielder, and perhaps better suited to DM roles given his previous play at FB and CB. However, vastly under-experienced in the role for getting dropped straight in as a starter at the Championship level. As a competitor, would likely succeed, but it might be a bit rocky…potential starter, in somewhat tricky circumstances, but also a significant loss of depth in the defence if we do this, as he’s our default coverage at FB and secondary coverage at CB.
Ross: Would be able to fill a center mid role, but would be a waste of his potential and ability as a #10…starter at AM or winger, could fill CM in a time of desperate need, but would be near criminal.
Connolly and Zanatta: Both really wingers with little to contribute to midfield, though might play in extremis…not even worth considering in normal times.
Riley-Snow: Hasn’t recaptured some of the earlier flashes of potential since getting demoted for stupidity (two yellows). Tackling tends to the agricultural and has shown a possible Davoish streak of anger. Physically gifted, but doesn’t seem to get the result from that you’d expect…cannon fodder, at the present time.
Arnott: Bags of potential and has shown a cool head and calm demeanor when allowed a chance. Looks the real thing, perhaps the next Hendry or Tait if given time to develop properly…probably the current preferred fill-in starter.
Coulson: Has started getting a bit more time out on loan and, while being characterized as raw, is also credited with a never say never streak a mile wide. Shows potential, but won’t be ready for Championship level play this season, or probably the next…most likely to be loaned out, if we can risk it, and would benefit from it.
BRS "physically gifted"? Whit?

3 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
5 hours ago, TxRover said:

BRS "physically gifted"? Whit?

Definition: big lump.

I’m not sure whether BRS would get better if he had a run of games but in the brief glimpses I’ve seen of him, he doesn’t look up to the required standard. His tackling tends to be clumsy and because of that he falls foul of refs.

6 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Don’t think BRS has shown any particular streaks of anger. His bookings and red cards tend to be due to lack of control or clumsiness. 

Aye, he's just generally off the pace.

On BRS, seeing that tweet from the club it's reminded me that he actually played pretty well in that game against Aberdeen. Higher league opposition albeit a bit of a gang early in the season, but there's definitely a player in there if he can do that. Getting subbed after coming on as a sub and being overlooked for Arnott last week is however a pretty clear message where he's currently at. 

With Spencer out he's probably going to see more game time so we really need him to turn it around. 

Edited to add: that's Jack Ross emptied at Hibs. Probably does not bode well for getting Tait back in January.

Edited by Michael W

22 minutes ago, Michael W said:

On BRS, seeing that tweet from the club it's reminded me that he actually played pretty well in that game against Aberdeen. Higher league opposition albeit a bit of a gang early in the season, but there's definitely a player in there if he can do that. Getting subbed after coming on as a sub and being overlooked for Arnott last week is however a pretty clear message where he's currently at. 

With Spencer out he's probably going to see more game time so we really need him to turn it around. 

Edited to add: that's Jack Ross emptied at Hibs. Probably does not bode well for getting Tait back in January.

Hard to tell, Ross signed him and by the indications I'd heard had been keen on him joining their first team squad in January.

New manager may have new priorities, and may want their own faces in.

However, it does probably mean we'll be left hanging for a while now either way.

7 minutes ago, renton said:

Hard to tell, Ross signed him and by the indications I'd heard had been keen on him joining their first team squad in January.

New manager may have new priorities, and may want their own faces in.

However, it does probably mean we'll be left hanging for a while now either way.

Yeah. The new guy will want a decent look at him and probably a fair bit more than the training fields of Malaga will allow. 

Going to need to pull two midfielders put the hat. 

It might work the other way and the new manager would be happy to loan him for the rest of the season thus ensuring that he's getting plenty of game time. The new manager will get plenty of chances to see him in action that way. Just an alternative hope and to be honest total desperation on my behalf! 🥺