The New Raith Rovers Thread

OK, so how about spreading some gloom on a cold Monday night....

Midfield could shortly be an issue for us. 

Spencer managed to get off the pitch without a stretcher on Saturday but was clearly in pain and struggling to walk, no one thinks he'll be fit for Saturday but what about after that?

At the same time Tait is due to exit the club in January.

Best case scenario is Spencer just took a dull yin, and will be fighting fit in a week or so and Tait will be allowed to come back on loan to us for the rest of the season.

Worst case scenario, Spencer is out for a protracted period and Tait is swallowed up into the Hibs first team never to look back, leaving us with a midfield trio of Matthews, Arnott and BRS...

BRS doesn't quite look like he'll reach the necessary standards, leaving Arnott to do a lot of growing up, fast.

Not ideal. Obviously even in the best case scenario you are maybe trying to get another midfield body in to allow BRS to go out on loan and give us a decent option from the bench. In the worst case scenario you are likely looking for two guys in a hurry, one of whom can walk straight into the first 11, someone who can provide the same metronomic passing and steady pivot that Spencer has done all season...

23 minutes ago, renton said:

OK, so how about spreading some gloom on a cold Monday night....

Midfield could shortly be an issue for us. 

Spencer managed to get off the pitch without a stretcher on Saturday but was clearly in pain and struggling to walk, no one thinks he'll be fit for Saturday but what about after that?

At the same time Tait is due to exit the club in January.

Best case scenario is Spencer just took a dull yin, and will be fighting fit in a week or so and Tait will be allowed to come back on loan to us for the rest of the season.

Worst case scenario, Spencer is out for a protracted period and Tait is swallowed up into the Hibs first team never to look back, leaving us with a midfield trio of Matthews, Arnott and BRS...

BRS doesn't quite look like he'll reach the necessary standards, leaving Arnott to do a lot of growing up, fast.

Not ideal. Obviously even in the best case scenario you are maybe trying to get another midfield body in to allow BRS to go out on loan and give us a decent option from the bench. In the worst case scenario you are likely looking for two guys in a hurry, one of whom can walk straight into the first 11, someone who can provide the same metronomic passing and steady pivot that Spencer has done all season...

So, this is where the Frankie situation gets interesting. JMcG loved the idea of Frankie at DM, but his injury prevented exploring that idea…then Ethan Ross showed he seems best in a diamond, playing as a #10 behind Varian an #9 and a couple of wingers. The basic dilemma then is a forward diamond and four man backline leaves only two spots in the middle. Frankie at DM would really need to be part of a three player midfield…

Arnott looks capable, but is very inexperienced and likely to make some gaffs. BRS is inconsistent, perhaps can improve with consistent play, but also has a hot streak in him that allows him to be bated into rash challenges. Coulson can be recalled in January, but isn’t yet ready to play consistently for this level, but is an absolute goer and won’t quit when played.

The only real positive is that I'm sure McGlynn will already have ideas in place. Its hard to say with Spencer...I'd imagine we'll find out on Thursday when Raith TV do prematch unless Alan Temple gets an update in the courier.

The issue with Tait is that there's no indication of what Hibs intend to do. We can't really be waiting 3 weeks into January to find that he's not likely to get a game. The loan market can be a hut or a miss: how many prospects have we seen come in from Rangers or Dundee United who are total dross. There's unlikely to be very many free agents.

I think we were the same with James Keatings.
I honestly forgot he was our player until I read this post. Anyone know how he's done at montrose?

Tait won't be here beyond his loan deal from what iv been told. Brs is nowhere near this level. Arnott is raw but does have something about him. Ideally we need two cms in, in January and depending on what happens with varian and poplatnik 1/2 there as well imo.

McGlynn's post match interview seemed relatively encouraging regarding Spencer. I got the impression any absence will hopefully be measured in weeks rather than months. Seeing it at the match I feared a cruciate injury. 

If we can avoid any overlap between Spencer's injury absence and Tait going to Hibs we'll have had a result. 

14 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

McGlynn's post match interview seemed relatively encouraging regarding Spencer. I got the impression any absence will hopefully be measured in weeks rather than months. Seeing it at the match I feared a cruciate injury. 

If we can avoid any overlap between Spencer's injury absence and Tait going to Hibs we'll have had a result. 

Though we'd still need to identify a quality replacement for Tait to come in.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that but it doesn’t feel great to be losing a guy who’s started every single league game in January while we look to be gearing up for a title challenge. I don’t think it’s unfair to say there’s no chance at all we’d sell Tait if Hibs came in for him after the Pars game in January. But such is life.

Agree that Spencer getting fit before Tait leaves seems crucial, or we’ve suddenly got a huge hole in the middle of the park and would need at least one midfielder to come in and hit the ground running. Two sub appearances in the league for BRS since extending his contract, and one of them was his horror show against Ayr. Hasn’t been used since. Football can change quickly and he had a few good games early season but keeping him on is looking more like a mistake by the week.

Agree on BRS, apart from Tx saying he has a hot streak which gets him dragged into things. Instead, he has a slow streak, if such a thing exists, which means he can't get out of things quickly enough or even get to them quickly enough in the 1st place. His timing in the challenge is bad and his mobility poor. Can't see him improve and surely won't be considered a weekly starter.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Though we'd still need to identify a quality replacement for Tait to come in.

Definitely. You just have to hope that McGlynn has someone lined up given this has been a possibility since the end of August.

What's Kevin McBride up to these days?

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

16 hours ago, grumswall said:

I honestly forgot he was our player until I read this post. Anyone know how he's done at montrose?

Tait won't be here beyond his loan deal from what iv been told. Brs is nowhere near this level. Arnott is raw but does have something about him. Ideally we need two cms in, in January and depending on what happens with varian and poplatnik 1/2 there as well imo.

Poor, a goal and a few matches, then injured in some manner.

I expect to see Arnott get a shot sometime from JMcG, who rates him.

10 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Agree on BRS, apart from Tx saying he has a hot streak which gets him dragged into things. Instead, he has a slow streak, if such a thing exists, which means he can't get out of things quickly enough or even get to them quickly enough in the 1st place. His timing in the challenge is bad and his mobility poor. Can't see him improve and surely won't be considered a weekly starter.

His play trends more toward JCB than Porsche.

19 hours ago, renton said:

I wonder who we can con into taking him on loan this time?

Maybe the same way ICT conned us 😉

Seemingly out with a knee injury , hopefully he'll be told hes free to find another club 

And I can't fathom out why BRS got another 6 months, when he's clearly not good enough for Championship level