The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

When they first moved to McDiarmid and one the league, yes they had a great support. Haven’t looked at their attendances in recent years.

What about years they didn’t win the league? (that’s hardly an average season) what we’re the average numbers for Muirton? 

heres there last few seasons they average about 4K in the top league and 3k in the 2nd tier not bad for a place the size of Perth. 
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/st-johnstone-fc/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/2578

27 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Yes you say better access and parking but what percentage drive to games compared to walk or public transport.  I genuinely don’t know what St Johnstone’s attendances where in the 80s but did they improve by moving or go down? It’s great to say move out of town = bigger support as it’s easier to drive there and park but is there evidence to back this up. Any move will always  lose and gain supporters but you’ve got be certain you’ll gain more than you lose. Off the top of my head I’d say Clyde and Airdrie are two who I’d say have lost by moving but what teams have moved and got bigger crowds? Livingston but they moved completely.  

That’s comparing apples and pears. Clyde and Airdrie lost their home grounds and were nomadic for a few years before appearing in totally new locations. That’s what killed off their supports. 

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

What about years they didn’t win the league? (that’s hardly an average season) what we’re the average numbers for Muirton? 

heres there last few seasons they average about 4K in the top league and 3k in the 2nd tier not bad for a place the size of Perth. 
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/st-johnstone-fc/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/2578

Not sure. I just remember they got a sizeable boost the first season they moved to McDiarmid.

Falkirk are probably a good example. They moved out of town and their crowds are pretty good. Wouldn’t surprise me if they are better than they were at Brockville or at least as good.

Edited by Scary Bear

10 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Not sure. I just remember they got a sizeable boost the first season they moved to McDiarmid.

Fantastic but I’d be interested to know if it was a 1/2 season novelty bounce and how crowds were in the long term. I’m honestly not being a dick here I’m genuinely curious of the facts which neither of us seems to have (we might need a St Johnstone fan 😂).  Crowds aside one thing St Johnstone have done which clubs like ourselves should be trying to replicate is they’re clearly doing things right in terms of generating revenue by other means. I’m sure their stadium is crucial to this. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

Saints used to make more from catering for post funeral teas/meals because of the close proximity of Perth Crematorium. I don't know if that's still the case. Six days a week when no home game. 

Edited by embow

46 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Yes you say better access and parking but what percentage drive to games compared to walk or public transport.  I genuinely don’t know what St Johnstone’s attendances where in the 80s but did they improve by moving or go down? It’s great to say move out of town = bigger support as it’s easier to drive there and park but is there evidence to back this up. Any move will always  lose and gain supporters but you’ve got be certain you’ll gain more than you lose. Off the top of my head I’d say Clyde and Airdrie are two who I’d say have lost by moving but what teams have moved and got bigger crowds? Livingston but they moved completely.  

As I said, McDairmid isn't far from where Muirton was so walking is not an issue, and it's not "out of town". Better parking and access will suit supporters from all over Perthshire - Crieff, Dunkeld, Kinross, Aberfeldy, even Pitlochrie, and many more.  Do you really think that McDairmid was a bad move for St Johnstone?

1 minute ago, Raith_Raver said:

As I said, McDairmid isn't far from where Muirton was so walking is not an issue, and it's not "out of town". Better parking and access will suit supporters from all over Perthshire - Crieff, Dunkeld, Kinross, Aberfeldy, even Pitlochrie, and many more.  Do you really think that McDairmid was a bad move for St Johnstone?

No I don’t think it was a bad move as a club they’ve done well.  But that’s still not your point in regards Raith moving, you claim it’ll improve the crowds.  

Did it improve their crowds? If so how much? 

7 minutes ago, embow said:

Don't forget that the ground was gifted to them by the farmer and the supermarket that redeveloped Muirton coughed up big money to be used for building the new stadium. It was a win win for them.

Do they not also rent out office space at McDairmid?

6 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

No I don’t think it was a bad move as a club they’ve done well.  But that’s still not your point in regards Raith moving, you claim it’ll improve the crowds.  

Did it improve their crowds? If so how much? 

Why would you expect me - or any Raith supporter - to know or care how much St Johnstone's crowds have been affected by moving to McDairmid? As I said I would assume (guess) that it has improved with the better access, infrastructure and facilities: I doubt many St Johnstone fans can put a figure on it..

3 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Why would you expect me - or any Raith supporter - to know or care how much St Johnstone's crowds have been affected by moving to McDairmid? As I said I would assume (guess) that it has improved with the better access, infrastructure and facilities: I doubt many St Johnstone fans can put a figure on it..

You claimed  “If we had taken the opportunity to build a new stadium up near the bypass we would have attracted a lot more from Glenrothes/Leslie and Markinch” I asked you to back up this claim that fans from these areas would improve our supporter numbers as I’m sceptical of this from my own personal opinion. So it’s 100% speculation from you that upping sticks would have them flying along the A92 then.  A new stadium is a great idea but I seriously question moving away from the town centre to a bypass location unless someone can provide proof of clubs improving their gate numbers by doing this. 

6 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

You claimed  “If we had taken the opportunity to build a new stadium up near the bypass we would have attracted a lot more from Glenrothes/Leslie and Markinch” I asked you to back up this claim that fans from these areas would improve our supporter numbers as I’m sceptical of this from my own personal opinion. So it’s 100% speculation from you that upping sticks would have them flying along the A92 then.  A new stadium is a great idea but I seriously question moving away from the town centre to a bypass location unless someone can provide proof of clubs improving their gate numbers by doing this. 

"I’m sceptical of this from my own personal opinion."
"100% speculation from you"
"flying along the A92"

You seem to have some obsession with this. Yes, it's mostly speculation, but 100%?

And as to your arguments about clubs moving to outskirts, Stark's Park "isn't in the middle of town" either, nor anywhere near it.

1 minute ago, Raith_Raver said:

"100% speculation from you"
"flying along the A92"

You seem to have some obsession with this. Yes, it's mostly speculation, but 100%?

And as to your arguments about clubs moving to outskirts, Stark's Park "isn't in the middle of town" either, nor anywhere near it.

Nope I don’t have an obsession I just want you to back up your claim.  

Driving, waking, crawling, limping take your pick

Starks is easy walking distance from the bus station and train station that’s pretty central.  

I remember a scenario just a couple of years ago, where the club attempted to attract fans from Glenrothes by providing a subsidised bus and ticket option, and no-one was interested. 

I really don’t think Glenrothes is the “untapped potential” that’s it’s currently regarded. 

6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Sadly the out of town stadium ship has sailed. The time to do it would have been before/when we build the north and south stands.

I recall a few years ago a local farmer offered ground when a site for a new swimming pool was being sought by the coucil.

Sadly the council decided to shoehorn the current abomination into a car park.

Perhaps if the guy still has the ground maybe it's an option if someone has scooped the lottery tonight.

From memory the ground was off the Orrock Quarry road the other side of the railway line.

2 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Likewise, I'm confident of my position from my own personal opinion.

C’ mon you’re the one who wants us to move! You’ve got to back it up.  I’m the one who thinks we should stay, I need convinced.  Here I’ll help you.

Raith Rovers should move their stadium away from Pratt Street Kirkcaldy to the bypass because…………….