The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just had a look at the East Fife thread there. A couple of folk wondering whether Derek McInnes might be interested in their managerial vacancy while also wondering if Gus McPherson might leave Morton for them :lol:

One of them mentioned Paul Smith as well.

51 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

My issue with the kids home tops are availability. Trying to get both my kids home tops for xmas but they're sold out and have been for a while.

Would like them to be a wee bit cheaper but in comparison to other replica tops they are quite good value.

I contacted the club several weeks ago asking what the script is with the club shop and if they were planning to get anymore stock in the lead up to Christmas. Got a reply saying they've had major supply issues with the manufacture and were expecting a load of new stuff/stock this month. 

11 hours ago, tazz1903 said:

Well done , hope they appreciated that ? hope they wear it with pride 😁 Look what I bought you guys , last seasons top in the sale ? Cheers DAD ? ☺️  By the way I have an I PHONE 5 for sale if your  interested ? just PM  me ? cheers 

They did appreciate them. Who wouldn’t want a quality Rovers top.

Hope you sell your iPhone. Off to Aberdeen on Saturday?

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

I contacted the club several weeks ago asking what the script is with the club shop and if they were planning to get anymore stock in the lead up to Christmas. Got a reply saying they've had major supply issues with the manufacture and were expecting a load of new stuff/stock this month. 

https://www.raithrovers.net/51360/black-friday-deals.htm

New merch/stock coming into club shop next week hopefully.

18 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Yes, I agree things have improved, and no doubt the following generations identify as Fifers, besdies - as you say - folk flitting up there. If we had taken the opportunity to build a new stadium up near the bypass we would have attracted a lot more from Glenrothes/Leslie and Markinch.

Has moving away from a town centre ever increased the number of fans through the gate? Genuine question as my opinion is teams who’ve moved out the centre of town have seen crowds go down not up. Starks for its faults is walking distance from the Centre, the train station and the bus station and has the infrastructure a town centre brings (bars, restaurants, takeaways) a new stadium up in the middle of an industrial estate near a bypass has nothing around it. I think you’d lose far more fans than you’d gain, my personal experience is soulless Lego brick stadiums outside towns are not a great move. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

Your points are arguable, although the train and bus stations aren't all that near the ground, and the limited parking at Beveridge Park isn't great (for big games anyway). I don't think the newer "lego" stadia like Airdrie's, Livi's, St Johnstones etc are that bad, and much better than rows of pillars.

The context of suggesting a new stadium to the North of the town was being more attractive to the 40,000 residents of Glenrothes and nearby towns; I wouldn't think that would affect our Kirkcaldy support. So yes, being nearer a bigger population centre with easy aess and parking  I think would have increased our support.

Edited by Raith_Raver

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Has moving away from a town centre ever increased the number of fans through the gate? Genuine question as my opinion is teams who’ve moved out the centre of town have seen crowds go down not up. Starks for its faults is walking distance from the Centre, the train station and the bus station and has the infrastructure a town centre brings (bars, restaurants, takeaways) a new stadium up in the middle of an industrial estate near a bypass has nothing around it. I think you’d lose far more fans than you’d gain, my personal experience is soulless Lego brick stadiums outside towns are not a great move. 

Do you mean Scottish teams moving out of town or teams in general?

Up here, it didn’t hurt St Johnstone.

Around 2002 there was talk of a leisure park between Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy. I suppose if you built a stadium beside that it would do okay. Maybe that would drive a second train station.

Edited by Scary Bear

9 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

It's pretty simple teams like Dunfermline, Falkirk etc Have had a sustained period of success thats how they can build a fanbase . Even during our glory years in the mid nineties we couldn't go more than two seasons before it started to fall apart. 

i would say that's definitely a factor - teams with a successful tradition. There's also the "negative" of that, as it were - how often have we had a big crowd at a game, attracting lost or former supporters only to flop and send them away with a shrug, never to return; that play off with Alloa at Stark's is a case in point.

3 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

i would say that's definitely a factor - teams with a successful tradition. There's also the "negative" of that, as it were - how often have we had a big crowd at a game, attracting lost or former supporters only to flop and send them away with a shrug, never to return; that play off with Alloa at Stark's is a case in point.

Think you mean the last game of the season where we choked and lost the league title. The crowds at the play-off games were pitiful because people (and possibly the team too) were so dispirited after missing out on the league title. 

09E01854-31B8-40CF-AA94-C30B6130BBAE.png

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Think you mean the last game of the season where we choked and lost the league title. The crowds at the play-off games were pitiful because people (and possibly the team too) were so dispirited after missing out on the league title. 

09E01854-31B8-40CF-AA94-C30B6130BBAE.png

Yes, I think you're right, the game when Vaughan hit the post in the last minute.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Do you mean Scottish teams moving out of town or teams in general?

Up here, it didn’t hurt St Johnstone.

Around 2002 there was talk of a leisure park between Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy. I suppose if you built a stadium beside that it would do okay. Maybe that would drive a second train station.

No arguments that St Johnstone have done well on the park in recent years but have their attendances gone up from the Muirton Park days? The point was moving would bring in new support from Glenrothes and other towns / villages. Does St Johnstone moving out of town back this up and how much have their gates increased? 

Edited by San Starko Rover

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

No arguments that St Johnstone have done well on the park in recent years but have their attendances gone up from the Muirton Park days? The point was moving would bring in new support from Glenrothes and other towns / villages. Does St Johnstone moving pit of town back this up and how much have their gates increased? 

The distance from Muirton to McDairmid is more or less insignificant. Better parking and road access, and also the nearby P&R  should be expected to boost the gate compared to them still being at Muirton, but who can say by how much...

4 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

The distance from Muirton to McDairmid is more or less insignificant. Better parking and road access, and also the nearby P&R  should be expected to boost the gate compared to them still being at Muirton, but who can say by how much...

Yes you say better access and parking but what percentage drive to games compared to walk or public transport.  I genuinely don’t know what St Johnstone’s attendances where in the 80s but did they improve by moving or go down? It’s great to say move out of town = bigger support as it’s easier to drive there and park but is there evidence to back this up. Any move will always  lose and gain supporters but you’ve got be certain you’ll gain more than you lose. Off the top of my head I’d say Clyde and Airdrie are two who I’d say have lost by moving but what teams have moved and got bigger crowds? Livingston but they moved completely.  

Yes you say better access and parking but what percentage drive to games compared to walk or public transport.  I genuinely don’t know what St Johnstone’s attendances where in the 80s but did they improve by moving or go down? It’s great to say move out of town = bigger support as it’s easier to drive there and park but is there evidence to back this up. Any move will always  lose and gain supporters but you’ve got be certain you’ll gain more than you lose. Off the top of my head I’d say Clyde and Airdrie are two who I’d say have lost by moving but what teams have moved and got bigger crowds? Livingston but they moved completely.  
Airdrie crowds dropped due to the way the club decided to get back into the league. Clyde are just nomads and Cumbernauld is predomently old firm.

1 minute ago, foreverarover said:
15 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Airdrie crowds dropped due to the way the club decided to get back into the league. Clyde are just nomads and Cumbernauld is predomently old firm.

Ok great but which teams have improved their crowds by moving, I’m all for a new ground if it helps bring more punters in but I’m concerned it’ll do the opposite.

47 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

No arguments that St Johnstone have done well on the park in recent years but have their attendances gone up from the Muirton Park days? The point was moving would bring in new support from Glenrothes and other towns / villages. Does St Johnstone moving out of town back this up and how much have their gates increased? 

When they first moved to McDiarmid and won the league, yes, they had a great support. Haven’t looked at their attendances in recent years.

St Johnstone don’t have another town of similar size next door. A town who don’t have a league club. I would have thought if we weren’t seen as a Kirkcaldy club, we’d be more likely to get support from Glenrothes.

Edited by Scary Bear