The New Raith Rovers Thread

Is it just me that remembers our support always being around this level?

The only time I can remember us consistently getting over 2000 home fans was back in the ‘90s when were yo-yo-ing between the Premier League and the First Division. Then the support held up reasonably well until about 1999. Then the club imploded with debt.

The Covid thing obviously won’t help with getting big crowds in as older punters may be a bit more wary about getting mixed up with big crowds of younger people. A lot of the Main Stand where I sat pre-Covid were pensioners.

Edited by Scary Bear

Re the terraced area - With a move toward standing area's I'm sure a few wee tweaks would safely allow 200 odd to stand in that part of the ground, I also know of some who used to sit in the railway stand and haven't been back much since it was closed down. I'd be all up for the club switching ends, It gives the opportunity for folk to use the new part of the Railway stand and (possibly) 100 - 200 standing behind the dugouts.

Edited by keyser_soze

Folk always mention Glenrothes as part of Rovers catchment. It’s sadly full of folk from elsewhere who usually have other established allegiances, mostly Old Firm. There also isn’t the same connection of my hometown club to play on as there is in Kirkcaldy. Throw in that extra bit of distance away and it’s not quite the opportunity it is sometimes portrayed as. 

Having started supporting Rovers in the 80s, the Pars have always had a bigger support than us. Not sure the exact reason, maybe a legacy of their success of the 60s. Even during our glory years of the 90s our home support didn’t uplift that significantly on a week to week basis. Some folk still just turned up for the big games. Hard to know what the club can do.  So many other football options for folk on a Saturday that don’t involve sitting outside needing two pairs of socks. 

11 hours ago, embow said:

Ok so the terraced houses weren't there in 1913. They look late C19th but obviously not. When were they built then? Indeed when was that part of the town between Milton Road and Links Street developed? I'm still sticking with them being there before the stand was built until proven to be talking gibberish.😊

Some terraced houses were there in 1913. 

OS Map 1920.PNG

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Folk always mention Glenrothes as part of Rovers catchment. It’s sadly full of folk from elsewhere who usually have other established allegiances, mostly Old Firm. There also isn’t the same connection of my hometown club to play on as there is in Kirkcaldy. Throw in that extra bit of distance away and it’s not quite the opportunity it is sometimes portrayed as.

Yes, it was never a Rovers stronghold. Moreover, Aberdour is mostly Pars, Markinch is East Fife territory, and Coaltown of Wemyss is a third the size of Thornton. That leaves only Cardenden/Bowhill  and Kinghorn/Burntisland with reasonable Rovers inclined populations. These are small compared Inverkeithing/Rosyth and Dalgety Bay, and Dunfermline is traditionally supported from Crossgates right up as far as Ballingry, not to mention several West Fife villages. Just checking the map shows that Dunfermline has a much bigger fan base.

3 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Yes, it was never a Rovers stronghold. Moreover, Aberdour is mostly Pars, Markinch is East Fife territory, and Coaltown of Wemyss is a third the size of Thornton. That leaves only Cardenden/Bowhill  and Kinghorn/Burntisland with reasonable Rovers inclined populations. These are small compared Inverkeithing/Rosyth and Dalgety Bay, and Dunfermline is traditionally supported from Crossgates right up as far as Ballingry, not to mention several West Fife villages. Just checking the map shows that Dunfermline has a much bigger fan base.

Growing up in Markinch I've only met one East Fife fan ever.

There is some Raith support in Glenrothes but as has been said its town full of incomers with little historical ties to the area.

7 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Some terraced houses were there in 1913. 

OS Map 1920.PNG

Much better view. That matches with my time frame well, the homes directed across from SP and on Barnet Crescent aren’t there yet, and the Manse remained through 1940+.p

Edit: Manse was active thru 1956.

Edited by TxRover

14 hours ago, RaithRover123 said:

Kids top at £35 doesn’t help with the last part 

You're right it doesn't, better marketing and separate sponsorship deals for kids tops could be the way forward.

7 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

True. During Lockdown 1 I bought my kids the smart home top from the Rovers league winning season @tazz1903 but that was only because they were £15 in the sale.

I raised this with Karen Mac earlier in the season and she admitted Rovers always end up with unsold kids tops left over. We clearly aren't doing things in the best way and it needs looking at, I was left with the impression the club will be addressing the matter going forward.

7 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Is it just me that remembers our support always being around this level?

The only time I can remember us consistently getting over 2000 home fans was back in the ‘90s when were yo-yo-ing between the Premier League and the First Division. Then the support held up reasonably well until about 1999. Then the club imploded with debt.

The Covid thing obviously won’t help with getting big crowds in as older punters may be a bit more wary about getting mixed up with big crowds of younger people. A lot of the Main Stand where I sat pre-Covid were pensioners.

I agree! During my 40+ years of following our core support has generally bounced between 1400 and 2500, only in the Premier league was it any better. Still think it should be a bit up on 1600 we are seeing just now given the way we are playing.

7 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Re the terraced area - With a move toward standing area's I'm sure a few wee tweaks would safely allow 200 odd to stand in that part of the ground, I also know of some who used to sit in the railway stand and haven't been back much since it was closed down. I'd be all up for the club switching ends, It gives the opportunity for folk to use the new part of the Railway stand and (possibly) 100 - 200 standing behind the dugouts.

I asked that question (Standing terrace infant of main stand) some years ago and was told that with the pitch raised and levelled the ground height of terrace required (to see over the advertising hording) would mean standing spectators would block views of the touchline from the main stand.

7 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Having started supporting Rovers in the 80s, the Pars have always had a bigger support than us. Not sure the exact reason, maybe a legacy of their success of the 60s. Even during our glory years of the 90s our home support didn’t uplift that significantly on a week to week basis. Some folk still just turned up for the big games. Hard to know what the club can do.  So many other football options for folk on a Saturday that don’t involve sitting outside needing two pairs of socks. 

5 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Despite a blip in the 1970's since the mid 1960s onwards the Pars have routinely been better supported than us, as stated 2 Scottish Cup wins 6 other finals (runners up) at hampden and a fairly successful run in European competition, followed by longer spells in the top league will do that for a team. 

Cardenden was always a Rovers stronghold but so was Markinch as both had Rovers Supporters busses running from then in the 1960/70s. Aberdour's geography favours the Pars but Craig Leviene came from there and we were the only club he wanted to play for as a boy, was he a lone wolf in that?

Glenrothes used to be a town of misplaced incomers but that tag has slipped with the ages, true there will be west coast traditionalist supporters who's sons and daughters will favour the OF, but Glenrothes was planned in the 1940's and populated in the 50 and 60's those West coast implants are all about 3 generations down the line, time changes things. Proof of that is how many Rovers supporters live there but were born and brought up in Kirkcaldy.

Don’t get the panic re crowds, if the club have budgeted for over 1,600 a week then there needs to be questions asked in the forecast. Historically we never usually surpass that level at this time of year against similar opponents.

Having sat at Palmerston and Starks Park in the last 2 weeks I can’t say I was massively entertained.

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

True. During Lockdown 1 I bought my kids the smart home top from the Rovers league winning season @tazz1903 but that was only because they were £15 in the sale.

Well done , hope they appreciated that ? hope they wear it with pride 😁 Look what I bought you guys , last seasons top in the sale ? Cheers DAD ? ☺️  By the way I have an I PHONE 5 for sale if your  interested ? just PM  me ? cheers 

Edited by tazz1903
ADD

4 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Glenrothes used to be a town of misplaced incomers but that tag has slipped with the ages, true there will be west coast traditionalist supporters who's sons and daughters will favour the OF, but Glenrothes was planned in the 1940's and populated in the 50 and 60's those West coast implants are all about 3 generations down the line, time changes things. Proof of that is how many Rovers supporters live there but were born and brought up in Kirkcaldy.

Yes, I agree things have improved, and no doubt the following generations identify as Fifers, besdies - as you say - folk flitting up there. If we had taken the opportunity to build a new stadium up near the bypass we would have attracted a lot more from Glenrothes/Leslie and Markinch.

55 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just had a look at the East Fife thread there. A couple of folk wondering whether Derek McInnes might be interested in their managerial vacancy while also wondering if Gus McPherson might leave Morton for them :lol:

Although some reckon Mark McGhee might be a better fit.