The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well, it’s mid November and a good time to start pondering the upcoming window. As it stands:

Returning: Coulson and Mahady, with a little bit of League Two time, both with similar reports of raw but eager hard workers… Keatings, with a good bit of League One time and still not really scoring…McKay with a ton of League Two time and middling results.

Potentially Leaving: Tait, Varian and Poplatnik. Tait has been crucial, and I don’t expect us to be able to extend him…Varian gets so much time, I could see him extended…Pops is unlikely to be recalled.

Needs: Probably another midfielder, possibly a striker…but I expect Musonda to potentially replace Tait, which eases the urgency, if successful. With BRS already on as depth, if Musonda succeeds, the necessary midfielder would be injury cover. Ross is bedding in at the Vaughan role, so if a Varian goes we need a striker unless Keatings is the answer (yea, right). That being said, if we reach for a striker, we need a proven one to start over Varian or Pops.

Goals: Extend Musonda, he’s worth the risk. Loan Mitchell and Arnott (or Mahady and Coulson again) to League One, if possible. Loan Young to a League Two team that will play him.

27 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Well, it’s mid November and a good time to start pondering the upcoming window. As it stands:

Returning: Coulson and Mahady, with a little bit of League Two time, both with similar reports of raw but eager hard workers… Keatings, with a good bit of League One time and still not really scoring…McKay with a ton of League Two time and middling results.

Potentially Leaving: Tait, Varian and Poplatnik. Tait has been crucial, and I don’t expect us to be able to extend him…Varian gets so much time, I could see him extended…Pops is unlikely to be recalled.

Needs: Probably another midfielder, possibly a striker…but I expect Musonda to potentially replace Tait, which eases the urgency, if successful. With BRS already on as depth, if Musonda succeeds, the necessary midfielder would be injury cover. Ross is bedding in at the Vaughan role, so if a Varian goes we need a striker unless Keatings is the answer (yea, right). That being said, if we reach for a striker, we need a proven one to start over Varian or Pops.

Goals: Extend Musonda, he’s worth the risk. Loan Mitchell and Arnott (or Mahady and Coulson again) to League One, if possible. Loan Young to a League Two team that will play him.

Keatings never got on the pitch for Montrose. I think you'll find his legs are gone. 

Mahady hardly getting game time for Cowdenbeath. Only loan player getting proper game time is McKay. 

I'd expect to keep the 2 forwards on loan as they are getting game time and I doubt Stoke or Livi are screaming to have them back. 

Tait will go back to hibs. 

We need a midfielder or gamble that Musonda is the answer. 

I'd leave the youngsters out on loan and potentially put Mitchell out for a short term loan if he will get games. 

Keatings isn't cutting it at Montrose by the sounds of things so either leave him there or loan him again. I don't expect we'll see him play for the rovers again.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I'd expect to keep the 2 forwards on loan as they are getting game time and I doubt Stoke or Livi are screaming to have them back. 

Tait will go back to hibs. 

We need a midfielder or gamble that Musonda is the answer. 

I'd leave the youngsters out on loan and potentially put Mitchell out for a short term loan if he will get games. 

Keatings isn't cutting it at Montrose by the sounds of things so either leave him there or loan him again. I don't expect we'll see him play for the rovers again.

I agree with this.

We'd all like a few more goals from Varian and Poplatnik but they do a useful job for us. 

In an ideal world, we'd be able to add another forward while keeping Poplatnik and Varian. 

43 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I agree with this.

We'd all like a few more goals from Varian and Poplatnik but they do a useful job for us. 

In an ideal world, we'd be able to add another forward while keeping Poplatnik and Varian. 

Yes, but to what end? We don’t have the playing time for another forward with Varian and Pops, so it most likely wouldn’t be a proven player, but more of a dice roll. Keatings, we all believe, is a failure, so do we seek another version and risk it?

Coulson has been getting much more play than Mahady, but I agree McKay is getting the consistent play. That being said, it looks like McKay should be kept as depth after January, but I’m not sure he’s shown that after his return he’s capable of becoming a Championship level CB. His play at Edinburgh City has shown decent performance, but he hasn’t dominated like you’d have liked to have seen two Leagues down, so the prediction he will be let go in June is an interesting shout…but we have Berra/Bene/Lang/Musonda right now, so…

If Musonda is moved to DM, we can use the extra CB outwith Masson, hence keeping McKay in…and if Frankie moves on in June, then we have to see what we do to find the second long term CB, if McKay isn’t the answer I think JMcG hoped he was.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Musonda extend his contract in the next couple of months. It would buy him a bit of security considering his long lay off and it gets us a few quid should he move on. 

I am really interested to see the midfield of he can play there and how it Matthews adapts. 

100% agree with Musonda, would like to see him sign a 2 year extension. 

As far as the Jan window goes I'd like to see an out and out striker come in, an Andy Smith type if you like, as much as Varion and Poplatnik put in a good shift they just aren't getting enough goals. As has been mentioned I don't think we will see Keatings again anytime soon.

If we're still within touching distance of top spot by January then the January window could be massive to push us on. I'd be firing out all sorts of stuff to local businesses to see if they fancy coming on board by helping out with a players wages if it meant strengthening the squad and hoping that Sim dips into his rainy day fund that I'm sure he has nestled away. An absolute fantastic opporunity possibly awaits us and I'd hate for us to lose out on the back of running with a small squad that runs out of steam towards the business end of the season.  

17 minutes ago, Raithie said:

If we're still within touching distance of top spot by January then the January window could be massive to push us on. I'd be firing out all sorts of stuff to local businesses to see if they fancy coming on board by helping out with a players wages if it meant strengthening the squad and hoping that Sim dips into his rainy day fund that I'm sure he has nestled away. An absolute fantastic opporunity possibly awaits us and I'd hate for us to lose out on the back of running with a small squad that runs out of steam towards the business end of the season.  

Have to do better than Kevin McBride anyway.

As far as the Jan window goes I'd like to see an out and out striker come in, an Andy Smith type if you like, as much as Varion and Poplatnik put in a good shift they just aren't getting enough goals. As has been mentioned I don't think we will see Keatings again anytime soon.
The 4 players on loan are not good enough. The youngsters maybe a bit to young yet but the fact they are getting little playing time in league 2 kind of gives a bit of an impression for me. It'll be the same two strikers, Varian and Poplatnik until the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Have to do better than Kevin McBride anyway.

It's still amazing how close we got with a playing squad where the wide players were Iain Williamson, Scott McBride and Allan Walker being shoehorned into right mid.

I thought Poplatnik was on a season loan? I think it's unlikely anyone is letting a 20 goal a season striker come to us in Jan so I'd like to keep Varian to lead the line. It Tait goes we need to bring in another centre mid, I don't think Arnott is far away but if we are within top spot range if we could get another in then great.

I wouldn't expect us to bring back Coulson, Mahady or McKay back and I'd imagine we'll release Dave at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, renton said:

It's still amazing how close we got with a playing squad where the wide players were Iain Williamson, Scott McBride and Allan Walker being shoehorned into right mid.

We were pretty fortunate also that Davidson, Simmons and McBride weren't all available at the same time to present a headache. Then came the fateful day.

45 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

I thought Poplatnik was on a season loan? I think it's unlikely anyone is letting a 20 goal a season striker come to us in Jan so I'd like to keep Varian to lead the line. It Tait goes we need to bring in another centre mid, I don't think Arnott is far away but if we are within top spot range if we could get another in then great.

I wouldn't expect us to bring back Coulson, Mahady or McKay back and I'd imagine we'll release Dave at the end of the season.

Pops is, with a recall option in January.

3 hours ago, foreverarover said:
4 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

The 4 players on loan are not good enough. The youngsters maybe a bit to young yet but the fact they are getting little playing time in league 2 kind of gives a bit of an impression for me. It'll be the same two strikers, Varian and Poplatnik until the end of the season.

Love to see Frankie extended. Until two weeks ago, almost no look in for Mahady and Coulson due to Bollen being stubborn, getting time now, we’ll see.

I have to ask, how can it be that both Scotland and Raith are playing well? I'm not used to this feeling!

As long as I can remember both have been pretty hard to watch with the odd stint of relief thrown in but I haven't enjoyed watching the football this much in a long time!

7 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

I have to ask, how can it be that both Scotland and Raith are playing well? I'm not used to this feeling!

As long as I can remember both have been pretty hard to watch with the odd stint of relief thrown in but I haven't enjoyed watching the football this much in a long time!

My laddie is 9 and this is his first season having majorly caught the football bug. Needless to say there has been many a conversation lately of me telling him "son, this is not normal, enjoy every second of it".