The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

I don't rate brs but he won't play unless we're forced into it thankfully. Playing him at lb would be some laugh though and weirdly isn't even one of tx's weirder shouts.

I did consider Thomson, ‘cause at least he’s familiar with the other players on the back line…I just don’t know the last time he played LB.

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

McGlynn sounds like he will be leaving Lang in the team regardless of Benedictus’ fitness. Talks of “being fair” in the pre-match interview.

That’s how I took it take. Good lad Tam

Make no mistake, previous Rovers teams bottle that game today.  

Add to that,we are technically a win away from going top in November.  Mind people losing their shit over Mcglynns recruitment and touting us for relegation?

Edited by CALDERON

A truly horrendous display of football, that we somehow derived a point from, and with the other results, we didn’t get hurt too badly. Frankie looks fit, but not fully up to speed yet…but we certainly missed Dick on the left. Pops looks to provide more threat, while Varian is busy as a beaver but shows little results for it. Matthews is the superior choice to Spencer, it would appear, but I’d like to see a match with Tait taking a seat now and then to see how that looks. With Bene, Berra and Lang the pick two menu at CH, I’m not sure there is a bad selection, so next week will be enlightening on several fronts.

Keatings got 68’ starting for Montrose and Mahady got 68’ for Cowdenbeath, with Coulson getting the remaining 22’…plus McKay played the full 90’ for Edinburgh City last night (though they got shelled 4-0). At least the loan players are getting experience.

17 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Make no mistake, previous Rovers teams bottle that game today.  

Add to that,we are technically a win away from going top in November.  Mind people losing their shit over Mcglynns recruitment and touting us for relegation?

Nope. Definitely does not ring any bells... 

:oops

Getting a point away to a busy, if limited, team on a shite pitch in crap weather and playing poorly? I'll take that.

On another note, I think Lang today showed he still has things to learn. Got caught under the long balls a fair amount (wind would have played a part here though) and goes in to challenge too often when hanging back a bit is the better option. He's good but I'd expect he will have to wait his turn again when Bene comes back.

Don’t think we should be too despondent. We are still picking up points even when we put in a sub-par performance. As Calderon said, in previous years we’d have lost that game yesterday. To be sitting one win off top spot after 13 games is tremendous. We’ve only lost three competitive fixtures all season and one of those was to Celtic. That’s a great record. 

The Championship is looking ridiculously tight this year and while we not have the depth of squad to outlast someone like Kilmarnock (who I suspect will spend big in January) over 36 games, we do have a hugely talented team with a great manager, so who knows what we can achieve. As Marvin Andrew’s used to say…Believe. 

Don’t think we should be too despondent. We are still picking up points even when we put in a sub-par performance. As Calderon said, in previous years we’d have lost that game yesterday. To be sitting one win off top spot after 13 games is tremendous. We’ve only lost three competitive fixtures all season and one of those was to Celtic. That’s a great record. 
The Championship is looking ridiculously tight this year and while we not have the depth of squad to outlast someone like Kilmarnock (who I suspect will spend big in January) over 36 games, we do have a hugely talented team with a great manager, so who knows what we can achieve. As Marvin Andrew’s used to say…Believe. 

Agreed we shouldn’t get too down about picking up points when we’re performing poor but it is getting a bit of a concern how poor we’ve been receiving. When was the last time we dominated both half’s? For the last 4 games we’ve been average at best and without a clean sheet in 12. For as much as I like Varian and Poplatnik, I hope we go out and get a striker who’s going to get into double figures. We also need to stop conceding goals. No criticism against the CB’s or MacDonald but the wing backs and midfield need to do much better. Whether performances have dropped due to a lack of competition on the side lines, we’ll never know.

There's no stand out team in the division. That means no team will dominate games for the 90. I don't think we can complain too much. 

The only issue is over-playing away from Starks. We've seen with our last 2 away games that when we resort to more "agricultural" methods, we salvage a point when behind. Maybe no more Mr. nice fitba' when playing teams scrapping for their lives? Maybe start firing more crosses from deep to Varian earlier in games. Also, whilst I do like our variety pack of corner kicks, maybe fire more on top of the keepers away to teams at the bottom. Fight fire with fire. We could do with getting some cheap goals now and again.

Other than that I don't mind our strikers not scoring too often. They've played their parts really well opening up chances for the others.

Edited by pantene proV

48 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

There's no stand out team in the division. That means no team will dominate games for the 90. I don't think we can complain too much. 

Agree 100% with this. There's very little between any of the teams in the league.

The Pars are bottom because they're missing chances and can't defend set pieces, while Killie are currently top because they've nicked a few late goals (away to QOS  and Ayr etc) and, other than against us, aren't conceding many. But in the main, there's no vast gulf in quality.

The teams who will end up near the top, come the end of the season, are the ones who can stand firm when they're under the cosh and score goals when they're on top.

Edited by Specky Ginger

3 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Agree 100% with this. There's very little between any of the teams in the league.

The Pars are bottom because they're missing chances and can't defend set pieces, while Killie are currently top because they've nicked a few late goals (away to QOS  and Ayr etc) and, other than against us, aren't conceding many. But in the main, there's no vast gulf in quality.

The teams who will end up near the top, come the end of the season, are the ones who can stand firm when they're under the cosh and score goals when they're on top.

I agree with this in general. There are no fixtures in this league where you can go into the match with any the huge amount of confidence.

However, let's not forget we are currently 16 (SIXTEEN) points ahead of the Pars after only 13 games. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

I'm not saying he would have turned things around but I'd have had him on around the 60 minutes mark. If not him, then at least someone in place of the right back. The guy was not very good. A total mare of a game to be honest. Not once did he get past St Alban's left back. Never got a dangerous cross in. Indeed, rarely got any type of cross in. Very often gave the ball away in promising positions on the edge of the box, and to cap it all slipped to allow the guy in to lay the ball off for the winner.