The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This is the best chance we are going to have of winning the Championship for a long time. ICT have had an incredible start but I’d be amazed if they maintain that. A few shrewd additions in January and we can go for it. 

Agree. We need to break our ICT hoodoo if we are to go for it. Next week would be great time to do it…

23 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Agree. We need to break our ICT hoodoo if we are to go for it. Next week would be great time to do it…

Also need to win 3 league games in a row for the first time since McGlynn came back.

Edited by true_rover

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Happy clapper post incoming.

All credit to John McGlynn and Paul Smith for a fantastic first quarter. There were a lot of people (myself included) a bit concerned about their transfer business this summer but most of the players have exceeded my expectations, a common theme under McGlynn. I still don’t think the squad is deep enough to sustain a title challenge but I’m pretty confident now of being right in the mix for a promotion play off place.

To lose MacDonald, Hendry, Kennedy, Gullan as well as Musonda and Vaughan with injury and actually improve on any quarter results we managed last season is outstanding. As well as that we reached the League Cup quarter final for the first time in over 20 years. That is despite starting the season with a confidence sapping collapse as well as the crushing blow of another Vaughan injury and a packed fixture schedule at points it really shouldn’t be underestimated how good a job McGlynn has done.

You can see with the movement and fluidity of our attacking and different patterns of play that we are a very well coached side offensively as well as defensively (last 10-15 minutes of comfortable leads aside!). The big thing for me after the Locke/Hughes/Smith period is that I actually enjoy and look forward to going to Starks again. Even if we don’t win, it is still usually a decent watch.

We obviously have our usual defeat from Inverness to come next week and a couple of injuries could change everything but good to see a more positive atmosphere around the club again after a bit of pre season pessimism. We still play the best football in the league but I think we are a bit more pragmatic with it this season, in a good way. The experience of Berra has made a huge difference in knowing when to play and when to go long (see Varian’s first half chance yesterday) and I think on the whole we have a more experienced, street wise side and than last season.

There’s still plenty opportunity for it to turn to shit so you never get carried away as a Rovers fan but I think credit where it’s due for a very good first quarter and a great start to the season.

Summed up perfectly. This Rovers side never seem to quit even in the toughest of times. Keep it up Rovers

Edited by baillieinleeds

It's been an eventful start to the season to put it mildly. That said on the playing side they have got a lot right, Zanatta is some transformation, Berra is strolling through games and now the addition of Ross. I still think we need more depth and the keatings fiasco is just absurd. 

Off the field the club are displaying some of that ambition and progress can be seen hopefully it comes to fruition. 

Still think we need better comms especially press releases Taits transfer and Keatings loan just 2 examples. 

Agree that it’s been a fantastic start to the season. I’m now coming away from games already looking forward to the next game. Actually feel pretty positive about next week. The game up there was close and we are at home and stronger now than we were then I reckon. Might be false optimism but I don’t think we’ll lose. 

Just read the online report from the Fife Free Press where, apparently, Rovers controlled the first half,but Arbroath improved markedly in the second.

Did anyone else see this game?

You wonder if they actually bother sending anyone to the game or whether they just look at the goal times and piece together a report on that basis.

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Happy clapper post incoming.

All credit to John McGlynn and Paul Smith for a fantastic first quarter. There were a lot of people (myself included) a bit concerned about their transfer business this summer but most of the players have exceeded my expectations, a common theme under McGlynn. I still don’t think the squad is deep enough to sustain a title challenge but I’m pretty confident now of being right in the mix for a promotion play off place.

To lose MacDonald, Hendry, Kennedy, Gullan as well as Musonda and Vaughan with injury and actually improve on any quarter results we managed last season is outstanding. As well as that we reached the League Cup quarter final for the first time in over 20 years. That is despite starting the season with a confidence sapping collapse as well as the crushing blow of another Vaughan injury and a packed fixture schedule at points it really shouldn’t be underestimated how good a job McGlynn has done.

You can see with the movement and fluidity of our attacking and different patterns of play that we are a very well coached side offensively as well as defensively (last 10-15 minutes of comfortable leads aside!). The big thing for me after the Locke/Hughes/Smith period is that I actually enjoy and look forward to going to Starks again. Even if we don’t win, it is still usually a decent watch.

We obviously have our usual defeat from Inverness to come next week and a couple of injuries could change everything but good to see a more positive atmosphere around the club again after a bit of pre season pessimism. We still play the best football in the league but I think we are a bit more pragmatic with it this season, in a good way. The experience of Berra has made a huge difference in knowing when to play and when to go long (see Varian’s first half chance yesterday) and I think on the whole we have a more experienced, street wise side and than last season.

There’s still plenty opportunity for it to turn to shit so you never get carried away as a Rovers fan but I think credit where it’s due for a very good first quarter and a great start to the season.

Agree with everything you said mate

18 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Just read the online report from the Fife Free Press where, apparently, Rovers controlled the first half,but Arbroath improved markedly in the second.

Did anyone else see this game?

You wonder if they actually bother sending anyone to the game or whether they just look at the goal times and piece together a report on that basis.

Yeah the FFP is beyond awful now and I've given up on it completely. The boy at the Courier is the only local journalist with any reasonable access to Rovers. 

15 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I guess for me the only disappointment is the size of the home crowds. We should be able to get more than 2,000 in through the turnstiles.

I think there is still a reasonable number of folk who've not returned since lockdown. Whether that because they've found something else to do or aren't comfortable about returning, who knows. 

6 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah the FFP is beyond awful now and I've given up on it completely. The boy at the Courier is the only local journalist with any reasonable access to Rovers. 

Presumably Paul McCabe was trying to write a quick match report from his seat in the away end at Ibrox yesterday.

24 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I guess for me the only disappointment is the size of the home crowds. We should be able to get more than 2,000 in through the turnstiles.

You can still stream the game at home if you want to. Once that ends, perhaps the crowds will increase again. Our stream is very good, but I'd prefer to be at the game. Not everyone will feel the same. In my position this is largely theoretical, granted. 

There is also undoubtedly a section of society uncomfortable with attending these types of event, possibly just for now but possibly permanently. 

Edited by Michael W

14 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

Pleasing to watch us give a team a doing at long last.  We’ve played some cracking stuff at times but just lacking that killer instinct. Today was much better .. being overly critical it could’ve/should’ve been 10.  What’s the story with Keatings? He’s not offering much .. doesn’t run behind .. doesn’t hold it up for others .. isn’t clinical.  Hopefully, he just needs game time and will come good because a clinical finisher could see us win this league. 

Went into the Montrose thread there and found this about Keatings....

39 minutes ago, Michael W said:

You can still stream the game at home if you want to. Once that ends, perhaps the crowds will increase again. Our stream is very good, but I'd prefer to be at the game. Not everyone will feel the same. In my position this is largely theoretical, granted. 

There is also undoubtedly a section of society uncomfortable with attending these types of event, possibly just for now but possibly permanently. 

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when we get into the bad weather.  When it’s freezing cold and pissing down are we going to see more people decide to just stream the game as they can’t be bothered going out in the shit weather, especially given the stream is free with your season ticket.

For the East Fife game I’d bought a ticket and usually would have rushed through everything I had to do that morning to get to the game.  As it was I just decided stuff it and paid the tenner to stream it instead.