The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

If we had a squad of 19 or 20 fit and fighting first-teamers I'd probably agree with you, but as it stands, it's a case of better-the-devil-you-know, for me. While BRS might not win any player of the year awards, he's a known quantity. We've got enough to do in January without taking a gamble on a like-for-like replacement for him too. 

Pretty much agree with this. His positioning and touch has let him down at times, but he’s also been a solid late game replacement and shown flashes of skill getting past players to help make space for others.  His part in the Aberdeen goal springs to mind. Won’t set the league on fire but a decent, known quantity as much needed back-up for the rest of the season. 

10 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Pretty much agree with this. His positioning and touch has let him down at times, but he’s also been a solid late game replacement and shown flashes of skill getting past players to help make space for others.  His part in the Aberdeen goal springs to mind. Won’t set the league on fire but a decent, known quantity as much needed back-up for the rest of the season. 

I'd say the opposite about BRS - I think his best games have been when he's started and not looked so good when he's came on as a substitute. Maybe his appearance coinciding with our collapse v Hamilton has clouded my judgement but I don't feel he gets into games quick enough when he comes on. His best performance was away at Morton when he started the game. 

He's definitely a good squad player nonetheless.

Excellent. What a way to get the fans back on side.

It will be interesting to see who plays on the left now but I'd imagine Zenatta is a bit more flexible so we'll move him to either the right or a more central position to keep Connolly put wide.

f**k aye.

6 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

I'd say the opposite about BRS - I think his best games have been when he's started and not looked so good when he's came on as a substitute. Maybe his appearance coinciding with our collapse v Hamilton has clouded my judgement but I don't feel he gets into games quick enough when he comes on. His best performance was away at Morton when he started the game. 

He's definitely a good squad player nonetheless.

Aye, that’s also a fair assessment. I’m maybe thinking more recent games. Thought he looked poor as a starter down at Ayr, very poor touch which ultimately led to him being booked, but in the last few games he’s come on and looked ok. 

An ugly reality, especially at this level, that many don’t want to face is our squad is going to be comprised of (hopefully) a few stars in the making, a few youngish players who have topped/are topping out, a few experienced old hands nearing the end, a few young potential talents and a levening of solid, middle of the road, squad players.

That being said, we have Ross, Musonda and Tumilty who all have shown ability to play at a higher level…Zanatta, Varian and Dick all have potential to grow into similar types…that’s pretty good for our squad size.

13 minutes ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Excellent. What a way to get the fans back on side.

It will be interesting to see who plays on the left now but I'd imagine Zenatta is a bit more flexible so we'll move him to either the right or a more central position to keep Connolly put wide.

f**k aye.

The choice of left wing was also my thought, but Zanatta certainly appears the more capable of taking on Vaughan’s type of role, especially when Tait is gone. We could see one up top with Ross and Connolly flanking and Zanatta freelancing across the pitch just behind them, supported by Matthews and Spencer,

Aberdeen FC has this afternoon reached an agreement with Raith Rovers for Ethan Ross to sign a permanent contract with the Scottish Championship side.

The twenty-year-old, an AFC Youth Academy graduate, had a loan spell at Stark’s Park during the first half of last season

Ethan rejected the offer of an extended contract this summer, and felt his future lay elsewhere. We have agreed a youth compensation deal with Raith Rovers that includes an upfront fee and significant sell-on percentage that protects the longer term interests of AFC should Ethan leave Raith Rovers in the future.

Aberdeen FC | Ethan Ross Joins Raith Rovers (afc.co.uk)

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

An ugly reality, especially at this level, that many don’t want to face is our squad is going to be comprised of (hopefully) a few stars in the making, a few youngish players who have topped/are topping out, a few experienced old hands nearing the end, a few young potential talents and a levening of solid, middle of the road, squad players.

Don’t think it’s particularly ugly. The most successful period in our history was exactly this type of blend. 

…but I did also say Ross was a pipe dream! Never been happier to be wrong, that’s an amazing commitment from the club. Wonder if the compensation might be tied to playing time?
Rovers won't be receiving any development fee for him that's a start so some money off the deal.

9 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Also the club has applied for planning permission for the new community hub , Can be viewed on fife council planning website very impressive 

To save anyone interested googling 

https://planning.fife.gov.uk/online/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QZ664FHFJPW00