The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They can demand a fee till he turns 23.

You cant recall Keatings, or anyone else on loan. 

Well, you can, but he wouldnt be permitted to play 1st team football before Jan 1st.

Are they still eligible for a fee if the player is signed on amateur terms? I seem to remember Jonathan Tiffoney at Alloa and Dylan Bikey at Stirling being registered as amateurs to avoid paying fees their previous clubs were due. I may be remembering incorrectly of course.

6 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Are they still eligible for a fee if the player is signed on amateur terms? I seem to remember Jonathan Tiffoney at Alloa and Dylan Bikey at Stirling being registered as amateurs to avoid paying fees their previous clubs were due. I may be remembering incorrectly of course.

No they wouldnt be. Pro registrations only. Not sure player can change to amateur status outside a window though. 

An utterly ridiculous set of circumstances that Ethan Ross is essentially held to ransom by Aberdeen demanding a large compensation fee for a player that decided he didn't want to be there any more and is a free agent. What's he supposed to do, just try again when he's 23 and get another job in the meantime? 

38 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No they wouldnt be. Pro registrations only. Not sure player can change to amateur status outside a window though. 

Did we not do just that  a few years ago with John Baird, I’m sure we signed him on an amateur contract?

Are we now panicking about Fotheringham being injured? Even though he’s done the square root of f**k all with us.

I think it’s more about the squad. If Zanatta or Connolly pick up a knock and are out of even one game, we can’t really play our preferred formation with wingers.

It’s a blow. It was always a risk not signing anyone and at this early stage it looks like it’s backfired. So very Raith Rovers for it to happen immediately after the window closed.

Interestingly McGlynn said the operation would likely keep Fotheringham out until January when his loan was up. But the Rovers and Dundee United websites suggest it was a season-long loan. So we may well see him again, unless both parties have decided to cancel the loan.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

An utterly ridiculous set of circumstances that Ethan Ross is essentially held to ransom by Aberdeen demanding a large compensation fee for a player that decided he didn't want to be there any more and is a free agent. What's he supposed to do, just try again when he's 23 and get another job in the meantime? 

Meh, is it? It's a two way street and players have most of the rights. I don't think it's unreasonable there's at least some protection for clubs who invest in youth. If Dylan Tait had rejected his last contract offer and chosen to leave last summer (or whenever he was last out of contract) would you be saying it was ridiculous that he wasn't allowed to go off an join Hibs until he was 23 and Raith were holding him to ransom? He's not being prevented from earning. He can sign for Aberdeen on at least the same terms as he was on before until that age.

I'd be pretty sceptical about this 'large' compensation fee too. Harry Cochrane was being 'held to ransom' by Hearts for a £100k fee too according to the papers and yet we got a deal over the line to sign him.

4 minutes ago, spot on said:

Did we not do just that  a few years ago with John Baird, I’m sure we signed him on an amateur contract?

You signed him outwith a window from Australia as a free agent. It's not clear if he was already an amateur in Australia though. Suspect he was. Most of their players away from the very top level are registered amateurs. Lyndon Dykes was registered as an amateur over there at all times. Ryan McGuffie certainly re-registered as an amateur when he emigrated so he could play there because I did the paperwork for him.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meh, is it? It's a two way street and players have most of the rights. I don't think it's unreasonable there's at least some protection for clubs who invest in youth. If Dylan Tait had rejected his last contract offer and chosen to leave last summer (or whenever he was last out of contract) would you be saying it was ridiculous that he wasn't allowed to go off an join Hibs until he was 23 and Raith were holding him to ransom? He's not being prevented from earning. He can sign for Aberdeen on at least the same terms as he was on before until that age.

I'd be pretty sceptical about this 'large' compensation fee too. Harry Cochrane was being 'held to ransom' by Hearts for a £100k fee too according to the papers and yet we got a deal over the line to sign him.

Well, yes. He'd have 4 years out the game if that were the case unless Hibs or another club coughed up. That's clearly a ridiculous situation were it to arise. At any rate, we'd get nowhere near the mooted development fee for Ethan Ross, being a Championship club. 

I highly doubt Aberdeen are going to take him back, quite frankly. When your only realistic prospects of earning in football are your former club, it's not really much of a choice is it? They will have planned their season ahead based on him not being there and structured the squad accordingly. Clearly his choice has been a poor one, though, given developments. 

Time limiting compensation, for example to six months, might be a better idea. I can't imagine a player willingly choosing to become a free agent for six months simply so they can get a transfer. It would in most cases ensure clubs still got their development fee when the player moved on. 

The point about the size of the fee is a fair one. £100k was mooted and I guess that depends whether Aberdeen are as willing to negotiate as Hearts were. Given that Ross still doesn't have a club I think that may be indicative of their attitude. 

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Are we now panicking about Fotheringham being injured? Even though he’s done the square root of f**k all with us.

Less specifically about Fotheringham (fwiw, I thought he looked well off it) and more that it leaves us short(er) of cover

On the Ethan Ross discussion,  Queens Park are trying to agree compensation with Aberdeen to complete a deal according to the normally reliable Scott Burns.

I’d hope we’ve asked the question of Aberdeen but Queens Park with the backing they have will have much deeper pockets than us when it comes to any fee.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

On the Ethan Ross discussion,  Queens Park are trying to agree compensation with Aberdeen to complete a deal according to the normally reliable Scott Burns.

I’d hope we’ve asked the question of Aberdeen but Queens Park with the backing they have will have much deeper pockets than us when it comes to any fee.

Not like we've just sold a player for allegedly over £100k or played Celtic at Parkhead in the cup... 

QP might indeed be well backed but they won't be splashing out £100k on Ethan Ross. Let's see what they end up being quoted. 

We maybe need to approach an Alex Penman type, get him to fund the compensation and put Ross on a 3 yr deal. During that time if we sell him then the compensation money goes back to Penman. Or we discuss a deal thar suite both us the player and Aberdeen and try and bring him in. 

Ethan Ross is, in reality, a pipe dream right now…as is pretty much any other reinforcement. So where do we stand?

Two fully proven wingers, and no backup. We know that a 3-5-2 (what some call a 3-2-3-2) works for us, so we can survive one winger going down, as long as we don’t take a hit on the back line as well. Tait isn’t suited to winger, but Arnott might work…but Is a desperation move with little proof of ability. The problem with a change to 3-5-2 is that Musonda then has no midfield role to fill, and that puts he or Lang on the bench, unless they spell Bene or Berra…and some believe Musonda is the kind of transformative player we are missing.

An alternative thought is playing two forwards and placing a single winger behind them in a similar role that Vaughan filled. Both Zanatta and Connolly could easily play the role, freely switching sides to suit the situation. That also still allows for the FB’s to charge forward, especially if Musonda is in the Sweeper/DM role that has been mooted…effectively a 4-1-2-1-2…but which of Tait, Spencer or Matthews sits?

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Not like we've just sold a player for allegedly over £100k or played Celtic at Parkhead in the cup... 

QP might indeed be well backed but they won't be splashing out £100k on Ethan Ross. Let's see what they end up being quoted. 

Pretty sure the 100k from Hibs if it is that isn,t sitting in the clubs bank account yet.Crowd at Celtic game was just over 26k,what that brings into the club I haven,t a clue

Paying compensation and possibly substantial compo for Ethan Ross is akin to paying a transfer fee something we havent done for some time

27 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Pretty sure the 100k from Hibs if it is that isn,t sitting in the clubs bank account yet.Crowd at Celtic game was just over 26k,what that brings into the club I haven,t a clue

Paying compensation and possibly substantial compo for Ethan Ross is akin to paying a transfer fee something we havent done for some time

Did we not buy McDonald from Airdrie?