The New Raith Rovers Thread

33 minutes ago, Enigma said:

So what is it they hope to achieve by not contributing? They want an even smaller player budget? Probably the same folk who moaned about us signing Berra and Zanatta.

I’m not sure what they think it will achieve, probably feel it’s a form of protest against things they feel are wrong, or that the money has been wasted🤷🏻‍♂️

6 minutes ago, pub car king said:

This Diddy cup game coming up is an opportunity for a petri dish to f**k around with the team and try different things. The main thing has to be giving the fringe players a game. 

Given the stinking play of EF recently, petri dish is correct. They have, however, apparently just gotten a CB in from Motherwell (David Devine), so their backline may have stiffened a bit. Not sure what experiment we can try up front with going into my fever dreams, so we’ll probably see same old same old.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We were in a bad enough state at the end of August, but at least there was still a month to look at the loan market. 

To then end that month with our squad two players lighter is mind boggling. 

We're pretty much running with a squad of 15 plus apprentices (Bow, Arnott and Mitchell).

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We were in a bad enough state at the end of August, but at least there was still a month to look at the loan market. 

It’s probably to do with Brexit. Maybe there’s not enough diesel or HGV drivers to deliver players. Country is fucked.

I’m assuming McGlynn will have been trying to get a forward in but as seen with Timmy Abraham, there’s no point just getting a body in because he sounds like someone who should be good at football. I’m assuming forwards who can score 10-15 goals are not just sitting about scratching their stones and waiting on a phone call.

Losing Vaughan and Keatings was not in the plans. Hopefully he can find someone by January. Either that or find a way to get Varian or Poplatnik scoring. Hopefully Poplatnik as he has a cool name. 😎 

11 minutes ago, Michael W said:

We have our work cut out in January as both Tait and Varian will be away then as well. 

Montrose better have Keatings on one hell of a strengthening program. 

You would think he still trains with us part of the week, similar to nouble does with Arbroath/livi so we can monitor his conditioning 

30 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

You would think he still trains with us part of the week, similar to nouble does with Arbroath/livi so we can monitor his conditioning 

I'm not convinced Keatings is training with us. His body can't cope with fulltime training as I've heard he has problems with his hips or legs. 

1 player lighter apparently.
Jack Hamilton incoming. Deal done last night.

Keatings is out the picture, that seems pretty clear. I suspect he'll be fine for Montrose without being world-beating, and we'll negotiate his transfer for a bag of bibs in January. 

The spectre of Timmy Abraham looms large over this loan window, I imagine. I've no idea how much he cost last season, but I'm sure it was more than free. 

I can only speak for myself, but it's very much the case that the money I put into the Supporter's Fund goes without any caveats beyond being at the manager's discretion. If anything, I'd be more upset to see it squandered on another club's teenager that won't make an impact. I find it puzzling and immature in the extreme when people talk about pulling that funding.

There are innumerable factors in the transfer windows that we're not party to. The idea that John McGlynn had a reasonable option available and chose not to take it is bizarre and completely illogical. If anything, it's a real advantage to have a manager who won't pad out his squad just because he can. (Not looking in any particular direction, or at anyone's seven centre halfs, Mr Grant.) 

Money that's not spent now will be available to spend in January. It's frustrating to be going into the next three months (minimum) with only three strikers, and only one over the age of 19, but if McGlynn thinks this is the best way to play the cards he's been dealt, I'm with him. 

9 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I'm not convinced Keatings is training with us. His body can't cope with fulltime training as I've heard he has problems with his hips or legs. 

Then he is no use to us and whoever did his medical  has let us down big time as he is on a 2 year deal🤦🏻‍♂️ Still he needs to contribute something so IMO he should be here as an option on the bench and to help develop Mitchell 

23 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Keatings is out the picture, that seems pretty clear. I suspect he'll be fine for Montrose without being world-beating, and we'll negotiate his transfer for a bag of bibs in January. 

The spectre of Timmy Abraham looms large over this loan window, I imagine. I've no idea how much he cost last season, but I'm sure it was more than free. 

I can only speak for myself, but it's very much the case that the money I put into the Supporter's Fund goes without any caveats beyond being at the manager's discretion. If anything, I'd be more upset to see it squandered on another club's teenager that won't make an impact. I find it puzzling and immature in the extreme when people talk about pulling that funding.

There are innumerable factors in the transfer windows that we're not party to. The idea that John McGlynn had a reasonable option available and chose not to take it is bizarre and completely illogical. If anything, it's a real advantage to have a manager who won't pad out his squad just because he can. (Not looking in any particular direction, or at anyone's seven centre halfs, Mr Grant.) 

Money that's not spent now will be available to spend in January. It's frustrating to be going into the next three months (minimum) with only three strikers, and only one over the age of 19, but if McGlynn thinks this is the best way to play the cards he's been dealt, I'm with him. 

Forsoth sirra...you speak good commonsense.....in McGlynn we trust!!

2 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

find it puzzling and immature in the extreme when people talk about pulling that funding.

Fair enough but surely it’s up to the individual if they want to( I haven’t) or are pissed off with things. The fans stepped up big time over the pandemic so they deserve a bit of slack as well. 

Agree we're a bit light up top however I also agree with McGlynn's method of not bringing in someone for the sake of it. The point that the money is still available in January is a good one and if this means we have more budget for the second half of the season then that could be a decent strategy.

From what I've seen so far, we have a good enough squad to challenge for top 4. Given the injury to Lewis Vaughan and losing Regan Hendry from last years squad, repeating last years 3rd place would be a tough ask. However, I don't see why we cant be in and around that position with the current squad come January. 

In terms of loaning out players, we are using this very well. We have good young players out getting game time and taking a bit off the wage bill too. I'm not sure having any of them at the club meantime would provide any significant improvement other than in numbers alone. The Keatings situation is disappointing but reading between the lines (or actually reading the lines :)) suggests that he simply isn't cutting it fitness wise and is probably done with us. 

All in all, yes I would love if we had picked up a quality striker on loan, readily match fit and capable of 6 or 7 goals between now and January. The reality is that this is a million to one shot and I think I'm happier that McGlynn has saved the coin for January when there may be more player availability and situations such as the Keatings one can be reviewed. Also the BRS and Dylan Tait situations may mean that other areas of the team need addressed at that time.

My contribution to the players fund is unconditional as long as I'm happy it is going towards improving the player fund. I would only consider stopping it if there was suspicion it was funding other parts of the club or lining directors pockets.