The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, renton said:

So, today's the day. Anyone thinking we might a really sign someone?

My gut feel is that we probably won't. I don't think it'll be through a lack of trying, I just think it's a fairly narrow remit for an incoming player, and the options are narrow. 

I'm sure McGlynn could get a handful of teenagers from lesser-light Premiership sides on a bus to Kirkcaldy right now if he wanted them, but what he really needs is someone who's played more than 50 games of senior football and knows how to look after themselves and provide something a little different. Those types of players are going to be few and far between. 

6 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

My gut feel is that we probably won't. I don't think it'll be through a lack of trying, I just think it's a fairly narrow remit for an incoming player, and the options are narrow. 

I'm sure McGlynn could get a handful of teenagers from lesser-light Premiership sides on a bus to Kirkcaldy right now if he wanted them, but what he really needs is someone who's played more than 50 games of senior football and knows how to look after themselves and provide something a little different. Those types of players are going to be few and far between. 

It depends on who is offered to us, there must be someone sitting on a bench or reserve team looking for first team action, age shouldn’t be the overriding factor take Bowie for example he was physically ready to play, he won’t be the only one and we play good football and some of the bigger clubs will have someone they want to develop more, better having someone in to lighten the load on varian and poplatnik, of course there maybe an agreement in place for someone in the January window that we don’t know about eg gullan as hibs are signing a player from the MLS then🤷🏻‍♂️. Still think we need someone or we should have kept keatings till January 

3 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

It depends on who is offered to us, there must be someone sitting on a bench or reserve team looking for first team action, age shouldn’t be the overriding factor take Bowie for example he was physically ready to play, he won’t be the only one and we play good football and some of the bigger clubs will have someone they want to develop more, better having someone in to lighten the load on varian and poplatnik, of course there maybe an agreement in place for someone in the January window that we don’t know about eg gullan as hibs are signing a player from the MLS then🤷🏻‍♂️. Still think we need someone or we should have kept keatings till January 

Agreed, a half fit striker is better than no striker.

For all of Dunfermline's woes, they have good forward players. In the last week we've faced Zak Rudden, Brian Graham, Craig Wighton, Nikolay Toderov and Kevin O'Hara... any of whom would get a guaranteed start for us.

Much as I thought we should've won last night, I was envious of Dunfermline's bench. 

It wasn't working for them and they changed their strike force at HT. Later in the game they brought Dom Thomas on as well. Whilst I don't think Thomas impacted the game, the difference in the Pars for the first 30mins of the see in half was there for all to see. Indeed, one of the subs scored. 

As it is, we just don't have the depth to do that at the moment. I fear we are going to end up where we did last season with teams marking our wingers, particularly Zanatta, out of the game and we'll get bogged down going forward. 

Really hope we can add a bit more quality to the final third today. Like most, I was a bit underwhelmed by the summer recruitment but the likes of Connolly, Zanatta and Berra have all performed much better than expected so far. Liam Dick is improving every week too IMO. You can see the efforts he has made to improve his attacking side of things in getting forward to support Zanatta and they are forming a good partnership.

I think people bought into the club talking about the title pre season and hence a bit of frustration over our summer signings but as above, they are working out better than anticipated. Ultimately, top 4 will always represent a good season for Raith Rovers at this level. I am pretty happy to be in 4th after 7 games along with a League Cup quarter final after losing the likes of MacDonald, Hendry, Kennedy, Gullan, Armstrong and then Vaughan and Musonda to injury. Obvious caveat that our last 2  games of the the quarter are against the sides 2nd and 3rd. 

However, we are clearly lacking a bit more quality in the number 9/10 position. It is frustrating because we really aren’t far away from being a very decent side for this level. 10 points from our last 5 is a good reaction after a disappointing first couple of results and a packed fixture schedule in recent weeks.

Both Varian and Poplatnik put in excellent shifts and can hold the ball up and certainly have their uses. But I’m not sure either will get you much more than 5/6 league goals a season which isn’t enough. I understand that part of their job is to occupy the centre backs and create space for midfield runners. However, the centre forward still needs to carry a goal threat themselves. We’ve been pretty good going forward the last two games and created a decent amount of openings but I can’t remember Varian having any real efforts at goal which worries me. For various reasons it wouldn’t have happened but I’d imagine if we’d got Nouble instead of Poplatnik from Livi we would be 5/6 points better off. 

I’d rather we didn’t bring in another 17/18 year old squad filler just for the sake of it but a good quality 9 capable of 10-15 goals a season at this level would make a massive difference to us. However, as said before those players are very difficult to get and I feel it won’t happen today unfortunately. 

Is it today the transfer window closes for loans/free agents? I thought it was October for some reason.
I agree we certainly need striker who can run in behind and stretch defences, and a less defensive minded Centre midfielder. Do I think we’ll sign either today. No.

Looking forward to Killie away on Saturday, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Has hoofball become the norm from you lot this season now that Hendry's gone or was last night a one off? I only watched the second half but every second pass was a hoof up the park. Crazy how much one player can change the way a team plays.

First half was totally different   it's been a mix though, we've played both passing football and direct this season.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Has hoofball become the norm from you lot this season now that Hendry's gone or was last night a one off? I only watched the second half but every second pass was a hoof up the park. Crazy how much one player can change the way a team plays.

The first half we were playing football that was very similar to last season. The Pars made two subs at half time to press us much higher and stopped Benedictus and Berra being able to build so comfortably. 

We absolutely miss Hendry, though. The passing and moving across the team is still there most of the time, but he just had a way of making the whole thing tick just that little bit faster. 

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

First half was totally different   it's been a mix though, we've played both passing football and direct this season.

Just seemed like none of the centre mid's wanted to get on the ball last night. Can't be helping with Berra in at centre back right enough.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

We certainly don’t play hoof  ball bud,  you should have watched the first half. 2nd half we were a tired team and got lazy perhaps after playing 3 games in 6 days with basically the same team. How’s the seaside league ? You missing us?

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

We certainly don’t play hoof  ball bud,  you should have watched the first half. 2nd half we were a tired team and got lazy perhaps after playing 3 games in 6 days with basically the same team. How’s the seaside league ? You missing us?

Thoroughly.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I wasn't questioning his ability to defend more the fact he can't actually play football with the ball at his feet.

He keeps it simple. Wins the ball and passes to a colleague to move it on. Many a player in times past built a career on this approach. It takes all types to make a team. Plenty of ball passing players especially in midfield find ball winning tackles not their strength.