The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Mahady is at Cowdenbeath for a reason and if he does come back in January it wont be to slot  into the team

6 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Seriously Mahady who has hardly kicked a ball for one of the worst teams in Scottish Senior football. Zanatta who is a winger and McGlynn who wants 3 wingers on his books. Poplatnik who doesn't look like he'll score many and Mitchell who is nothing more then a promising untried youngster. Maybe Jamie Gullan on loan is an option as he can play out on the left and through the middle or perhaps someone like a Keatings who is currently sitting on a bench of a Premier league team and getting no or little game time. Oh wait Jamie Gullan comes to mind.

6 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Sorry, but that's just plain daft. Gullan's the answer, not moving Zanatta.

And please stop going on and on and on about 17 and 18 year olds as if they're the finished article.

I don’t disagree about Mitchell and Mahady not being the answer, and I’ve never suggested they are anywhere near finished articles. However, I’m pointing out we have more players than other suggested, and honestly have run fine so far with Varian and Poplatnik covering CF, so I’m not convinced we’ll bring in another player.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

I honestly want us to sign gullan, despite not rating him that highly, just to see an end to the "announce gullan" posts on 99% of anything that is posted on social media by the club. I'm still not even sure what his best position is. Arguably it's where zannata plays, so why would we bring in someone to displace our only attacking threat?

This is a tremendously ignored point. Gullan certainly hasn’t been a classic CF playing with us, really much more the sweeping winger, second striker role. I’d hate to sit Zanatta or Connolly just because Gullan arrives.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

I don’t disagree about Mitchell and Mahady not being the answer, and I’ve never suggested they are anywhere near finished articles. However, I’m pointing out we have more players than other suggested, and honestly have run fine so far with Varian and Poplatnik covering CF, so I’m not convinced we’ll bring in another player.

There's having players on the books then there's having players on the books that are ready to waltz into the 1st team and do a job when needed. Mitchell/Mahady etc aren't those players....yet. QOS game is a prime example - we've retained Arnott, more so than putting him out on loan, but even then didn't get a game when we were down to the bare bones in his natural position. Now he couldn't even make the bench against Morton. We're one injury away (Zanatta) to being completely fooked imo and it's a bit of a gamble to rely on Varian and Poplatnik as our sole strike force with the latter especially not looking likely to be much of a goalscorer. Varian will have his up's and down's but generally is the more dangerous player. I have no idea what McGlynn will do - will he bring someone in to see us through the winter (a notoriously bad period for us) or will he keep his fingers crossed players can stay fresh and then look to bolster the team in January? Time will tell.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

This is a tremendously ignored point. Gullan certainly hasn’t been a classic CF playing with us, really much more the sweeping winger, second striker role. I’d hate to sit Zanatta or Connolly just because Gullan arrives.

Gullan's best position is playing centrally behind the number 9... basically in Vaughan's position. Exactly where we all thought Keatings would play and ironically would play instead of Tait in the current system.

He didn't get to play there much, and in all honesty had as many bad games as good for us last season. He'd be an OK fit, but I'm bemused to the degree he's become this sought after figure by some folk.

10 hours ago, grumswall said:

I honestly want us to sign gullan, despite not rating him that highly, just to see an end to the "announce gullan" posts on 99% of anything that is posted on social media by the club. I'm still not even sure what his best position is. Arguably it's where zannata plays, so why would we bring in someone to displace our only attacking threat?

Gullan was best upfront or behind. His shit games was when he played wide.

Edited by Raith_Rasta

Gullan was best later upfront or behind. His shit games was when he played wide.

Don’t know if I entirely agree with that. If we get him again (and its a big IF) then i think him up top but switching position with Zanatta throughout the game would give us more fire power and keep opposition defences guessing who to pick up.

On 22/09/2021 at 08:59, keyser_soze said:

Over the last few days of days have seen a couple of repro 'Barcelona' tops from the mid 90's on eBay, one in size large sold for £101 and an XXL sold for £80, currently a medium up for grabs. 

Just shows there is a big appetite for what was IMO the best Raith top ever, surely the club could look into this, better money in their coffers than some random guy's pocket.

s-l1600.jpg

Oaft aye I’d have one of them!

3 minutes ago, spot on said:

I don’t think it’s a Gullan we need, we need a target man with a bit of presence up front something we are lacking . 

The problem is that those players are…well…absent from our options as far as we can see. Target men get bought up by top level teams and then either played, or loaned out early days to develop. This late the cupboard is plenty bare, and like poor Mother Hubbard, we’re as lightly to be given the bone as find a bone if we rummage through the loan cupboard right now.

We can likely find some midfield support on a loan, if it came to it. However, can someone clarify if the current loan cap is 4 or 6…cause we have 4 right now.

8 minutes ago, spot on said:

I don’t think it’s a Gullan we need, we need a target man with a bit of presence up front something we are lacking . 

Every club is looking for that mate. Gullan knows the club, knows how McGlynn operates and knows the players. It’s a no brainer. 

24 minutes ago, spot on said:

Are we? Varian is strong and holds the ball well, Poplatnik is the very definition of a target man. Zanatta is good at arriving late into the box (when he isn't driving in with the ball)

Personally I think we are lacking someone who can reliably get beyond our two target men type strikers and go in behind. We don't stretch defences very well without Vaughan.

3 hours ago, renton said:

Are we? Varian is strong and holds the ball well, Poplatnik is the very definition of a target man. Zanatta is good at arriving late into the box (when he isn't driving in with the ball)

Personally I think we are lacking someone who can reliably get beyond our two target men type strikers and go in behind. We don't stretch defences very well without Vaughan.

What you are basically looking for is Goodwillie, a player that we would never sign. So if we look around, Wrighton (at the Pars) would have been an excellent piece of business, but I suspect we felt secure with Vaughan and Keatings early on. I’m not sure I get the Gullan love-in, other than familiarity, as he wasn’t that prolific when he was with us last year.

Lets face it, at our level, a striker or two appear via loan and the rest of the teams make do with developing someone, or cobbling together some group of options. For us, Varian is working out very well, and I would expect us to retain him for the Spring if his play and development continues, because he won’t slot into Stoke’s starting side if he leaves in January. Poplatnik, the word is Livi isn’t in a rush to get him back, so he may stay too. So where is our massive need for a CF, we play one, not two. Do we desire coverage, yes…can we afford coverage???