The New Raith Rovers Thread

One thing I meant to say about the other night down at Ayr was just the sheer joy at singing “we’ve got McGlynn” song at full time. Stark contrast to how the Ayr fans were feeling after the game. Obviously Hopkin has been binned now, but yeah it was a fine moment.

John is Raith Rovers.

Edited by Wardy

1 hour ago, Wardy said:

One thing I meant to say about the other night down at Ayr was just the sheer joy at singing “we’ve got McGlynn” song at full time. Stark contrast to how the Ayr fans were feeling after the game. Obviously Hopkin has been binned now, but yeah it was a fine moment.

John is Raith Rovers.

I agree with this the bottom bit especially. 

Will he be a long term manager in terms of 5 years or more like Jim mcinally at Peterhead.  

Personally my feeling is short of their being a huge bust up with the board or health reasons (touch wood) he will stay on for years. He will continue to develop the youth system and get the best out of underperforming senior players.

He's left before for other jobs and seen that go tits up but he left a cushy scouting job to come back and said this is the only club he would come back to.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I agree with this the bottom bit especially. 

Will he be a long term manager in terms of 5 years or more like Jim mcinally at Peterhead.  

Personally my feeling is short of their being a huge bust up with the board or health reasons (touch wood) he will stay on for years. He will continue to develop the youth system and get the best out of underperforming senior players.

He's left before for other jobs and seen that go tits up but he left a cushy scouting job to come back and said this is the only club he would come back to.

I've said this before, but I remember being at McGurn's testimonial and looking at the dugout and thinking it would be great to have McGlynn back: we'd just got rid of Smith and Cuthbert, as nice as he was, definitely wasn't manager material. I've no idea if that day had an impact on McGlynn and whether he maybe thought "I could give this another go", but the change was immediate.

While we didn't have the squad (or luck with injuries) to get promoted you felt the change immediately with the game at Dumbarton. I remember a few folk singing Allez Allez Allez at the start of the game, and by full time it felt like everyone in the away support was singing. 

We're very fortunate to have a manager who you know you can trust. It isn't always perfect, not that anyone expects it. He'll never be able to recreate what the club went through in the early 90s but he's without doubt our best long term manager in the history of the club. 

43 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I think we will see John as director of football with Laurie Ellis as manager, at some point.

I'd be quite happy with that. Doesn't Laurie already have a 100% record as a caretaker for us? 

Laurie Ellis is an absolutely lovely guy. Dare I say it but if he does well at QP (gets them up, keeps them up) he’s probably looking at bigger jobs than Rovers manger. He’s relatively young, intelligent and well spoken - all things that will work in his favour.

Edited by Enigma

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

I think we will see John as director of football with Laurie Ellis as manager, at some point.

I agree with Enigma; Ellis is likely to go on to greater things than us. I can't see us affording a DOF and a manager but If so Paul Smith did a great job during his illness and it would be great continuity. He maybe a similar age to  McGlynn (a year younger) but so what, Dick Campbell is about a decade older.

The longer McGlynn is our manager the happier I'll be. As stated earlier, it's great to have someone who the fans can trust in charge, someone who cares for the club and everything it means to the support. All that while being a very capable manager at this level and an excellent coach.

He has been the most important figure at our club in the past 15 years and I don't think we can expect anyone like that to follow him in the comingd15.

I said it earlier in the year, just after we beat Hearts, that I'd slap down a long term contract for him to sign right now  and I still stand by that.

In McGlynn we trust.

2 minutes ago, pub car king said:

No tickets for the Celtic match.

No surprise there, great unwashed weegie twats.....

...hopefully they are confident of a 60,000 sell out, all the more ££££ for us 🤪

Edited by keyser_soze