The New Raith Rovers Thread

I would imagine given his injury record that a clause would have been in place for such an incident as this.

Hopefully in the form of some sort of insurance policy rather than a simple release clause.

I wouldn’t like to see us simply drop Lewis, and to be honest I doubt we would. I think both parties have enough history and affection for the other that neither would do the dirty.
Both sides would have known the risks when a long contract was signed, I’m sure both sides will be content with what happens now.

It's a fair question giving him a 3 year deal was a massive gamble.  Realistically we can't afford to do this but there might be clauses etc and if you factor in medical costs it's madness.
It's a damn shame for the guy but we cannot sustain this forever. 

If the club end up releasing Vaughan, the backlash would be unbelievable and they could see their average attendance more than half due to boycotts etc

Have a word with yourself.

15 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

I would imagine given his injury record that a clause would have been in place for such an incident as this.

That would be incredibly sensible and beyond most clubs in Scotland.

33 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Just to play devil's advocate (expecting pelters) how long will the club support this for what us a limited return? 

This is probably a bit ‘birthday caird pish’, but there’s probably something about being seen as a club that will look after it’s players that would be helpful in signing new ones. There’s also the risk of pissing off the fans by being seen to throw a fan favourite on the scrap heap.

A real shitter for Vaughan, and you always got the feeling that if it wasn’t for injuries he’d have made you a good bit of money going down south at some point. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if he retires now, and would like to think Rovers would give him another job at the club if at all possible.

There is also the aspect of Lewis could elect to request to be released from his contract. I could certainly see that happening after his recovery.

Then there is the question of if Lewis can have a career within football, or if his knees are simply too susceptible to injury to allow him to participate at any level or in any capacity. It is certain that Lewis has the necessary drive to succeed at nearly anything he sets his mind too, so I would hope he can take this time to chart a course that is best for Lewis Vaughan, football or not.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

This is probably a bit ‘birthday caird pish’, but there’s probably something about being seen as a club that will look after it’s players that would be helpful in signing new ones. There’s also the risk of pissing off the fans by being seen to throw a fan favourite on the scrap heap.

A real shitter for Vaughan, and you always got the feeling that if it wasn’t for injuries he’d have made you a good bit of money going down south at some point. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if he retires now, and would like to think Rovers would give him another job at the club if at all possible.

Aye, if there’s a decision to throw in the towel I would hope it comes from the player. Coming back from a 4th ACL to me to makes a 5th one happening seem like almost an inevitability. I’m sure it was John Beattie on the radio I heard talking about guys he played rugby with who can’t walk round a golf course or up a flight of stairs on account of the injuries they sustained playing. I’m no doctor but there must come a point where the cons outweigh the pros of a return.

Get him coaching our development squad once the Fife Elite is dispensed.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow but I’m reluctant to jump on the “that’s the season gubbed” bandwagon just yet.

26 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

If the club end up releasing Vaughan, the backlash would be unbelievable and they could see their average attendance more than half due to boycotts etc

I know the news is horrible for Vaughan and for Raith but this is laughable nonsense.

I’m sure people would be unhappy and think it was a shitty move from the club but I’d be shocked to my core if even a dozen fans sustained any serious “boycott”.

Don’t get worked up over hypotheticals.

29 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Who said releasing him? Not to mention who would boycott games you don't know what's in the contract get over yourself. I certainly wouldn't boycott any games it unfortunately hasn't been a shock what has happened .

I think even the most optimistic of us knew this day would come again. We just didn’t want it to be so soon.

We need to support him with the private health care and make sure he’s at least in a position to go about his everyday life with as much normality as possible.

What does this mean for his future football career? I’m sure we know deep down but that’s a conversation for another day.

4 minutes ago, AFalkirkBairnB said:

Jesus 4 ACL’ would take some mentality to come back from. Real shame for Vaughan as every time he plays, he looks a top player. 

That's the thing - every time he's come back from injury it's like he picked up where he left off. No loss of ability at all. Sure, a little less speed but he was never the quickest covering ground. 

I really hope if he tries to come back that he gets a clear run at a career, and his dodgy knees balance each other out. If he doesn't come back? He's still done more than enough for us to love him to bits.