The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yup that’s absolutely the worst news, such a f*cking shame on the boy. Personally for me, I hope he does retire, otherwise he could end up putting himself in a wheel chair at 50/60 year old because he canny walk. It’s absolutely criminal[emoji174]

For me, might be controversial, but I’m not bothered for Gullan, a real take it or leave for me to be honest. I did think prior to the worst news ever, that we are needing a different type of striker in. With Vaughany now done I reckon we can do with another winger/10 type player.

Trust McGlynn.

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Two we got our pitch, from what I remember, which is Vaughan and Aaron Lennox. Vaughan's previous 3 were Starks on grass, Forfar (where Regan Hendry also got a serious injury) and Brechin in winter.

McGurn got one at Stark's on grass. Cuthbert had an injury he never came back from up at Tannadice. Thomson did his at achilles at Ochilview. There'll be others I'm forgetting.

Wasn't Vaughan's first one at Starks when it was still grass in 2015.

Words fail me.
This is so horrible for Lewis. 
Sure it's a big blow for the club and the team but for Lewis it's totally devastating.
I hope he's able to come back from this, yet again, but I've serious doubts that this could be the end of what should have been a stellar career.
Can only wish him the very best wishes for a full recovery going forward and hope he's still able to turn out for the Rovers in the future.

That’s utterly heartbreaking for Vaughan. If football doesn’t work out for him I hope he goes on to have a very happy and successful career in anything so that he doesn’t spend his life wondering what he could have achieved.

Good luck to him.

I don’t think I could imagine liking football enough to have to go through the whole process of getting fit over 8-9 months again.
I’d love to see him make a recovery and go again but a part of me would rather he looked to the long term and looked after himself.

Not sure what to say about that. Devastating news for Vaughan and the club. Hopefully he gets the help he needs. Total shame for him.

Can’t help feeling we’re a bit fucked now. No Hendry and now no Vaughan. Need some of the squad to really step up.

13 minutes ago, smpar said:

That’s utterly heartbreaking for Vaughan. If football doesn’t work out for him I hope he goes on to have a very happy and successful career in anything so that he doesn’t spend his life wondering what he could have achieved.

Good luck to him.

If he retires, Rovers fans and especially Lewis will spend the rest of their lives thinking what if. Lewis is a special player, and we’ll never see anyone close to his ability at Stark’s again. I don’t think other clubs realise how much he means to the club, and I think the feeling is mutual after these last few years. There’s not words in the dictionary to describe how he must be feeling. To come back from one ACL rupture takes amazing determination. This boy has done it three times to do what he loves to do, and I’m sure if safe he’d do it again. But I hope he doesn’t for his sake. If he is done, me and every Rover fan in the country owe him a thank you for the joy that lads brung us, and hope as @smparsaid, he has a great career and life beyond football. 

Theres only one Lewis Vaughan 💙

Not much to add to what has been said really. The one chink of light for him is that it's now two on each knee rather than three on one knee. 

He's just one of the few players at our level who makes you want to go and watch football. The sort of player who is well worth the entry fee on his own when he's on his game. 

Gutted. 

Not much to add in terms of how gutted I am for a lad who seems like one of the nicest guys in football.

On the positive side for Lewis, he knows what it takes to come back from this injury and he knows he can come back from a second injury in the same knee.
He also has the financial security of knowing that he’s contracted for another year so he doesn’t have to worry about the club letting him go at the end of the season.

From a Raith Rovers point of view…. Last season we had a squad full of good players and two absolutely outstanding ones.
We have now lost both of the outstanding players for this season.
If we manage to match the achievements of last season it’ll be an incredible effort from all involved.

It's an absolute shiter alright. I think the boy needs to think long and hard about where he goes from here. He is undoubtedly a class act and had he kept fit he'd have been gone a long time ago. However can a person keep putting themselves through the ringer on an almost yearly basis to keep playing in the Scottish championship on what will be a reduced basis?

Just to play devil's advocate (expecting pelters) how long will the club support this for what us a limited return? 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

How many since the artificial  got installed?

The numbers overall suggest fewer total injuries on artificial surfaces, which was mindboggling to me, but the figures hold up. The caveat to that was an increased rate of certain knee injuries (PCL and ACL), however those only showed during competition on artificial surfaces versus no statistical increase during practices. Note that the most comprehensive studies on this are done by the U.S. National Institutes of Health and use American football as the sport most studied. There is data on “soccer”, field hockey, baseball, etc that matches the findings and injury rate data. The significance decrease in lower body injuries, excepting those noted above, is part of the reason the artificial surfaces have become popular. Studies also note that show/cleat selection and techniques are significant influences on the injury rates.

On the whole, I don’t think we can pin Vaughan’s latest couple of injuries on the turf.

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

It's an absolute shiter alright. I think the boy needs to think long and hard about where he goes from here. He is undoubtedly a class act and had he kept fit he'd have been gone a long time ago. However can a person keep putting themselves through the ringer on an almost yearly basis to keep playing in the Scottish championship on what will be a reduced basis?

Just to play devil's advocate (expecting pelters) how long will the club support this for what us a limited return? 

It's a fair question giving him a 3 year deal was a massive gamble.  Realistically we can't afford to do this but there might be clauses etc and if you factor in medical costs it's madness.

It's a damn shame for the guy but we cannot sustain this forever. 

9 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Just to play devil's advocate (expecting pelters) how long will the club support this for what us a limited return

Doubt they could release him without coming to some kind of payout, which might not be that affordable.