The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm not sure how much truth was in it but wasn't there a story that Coulson is a Pars fan but turned them down for us as he felt we could offer better opportunities?

From our perspective, McGlynn has worked as a youth coach for Hearts and head scout for Celtic. We've got an established record of giving opportunities to younger players if they're good enough too. Wouldn't surprise me if we still keep finding young talents to bring through.

This seems likely. Think it’s the same thinking with loan players. McGlynn has stability and an excellent reputation as a coach who gives younger players opportunity. Wouldn’t be surprised if most of the talent see Rovers as a safer bet to advance their careers. 

25 minutes ago, renton said:

Do you think that's a result of the setup itself, or was the club simply not making the most of what was there? Of the 4 clubs obviously Rovers have done best out of it over the years having got 2-3 actual first team players out of it and some reasonable squad cover. However, we seem to have done disproportionately well out of it. I'm wondering what the difference in club approach was.

I’m not sure.

I know the club never made a big deal of the fact we were involved with the project, although communication regarding our youth players is virtually non-existent tbf.

Yeah, the two biggest success stories from the academy were Kieron Bowie and Dylan Tait.

Pretty sure Tait was released by Partick Thistle a year before signing with us from the Fife academy and Bowie was playing boys club football a year before signing for us.

So I understand the clubs logic instead of spending money we don’t have on a full academy, link up with local boys clubs and keeping an eye on youngsters released from other senior clubs should still bear fruit. In theory, by doing this we could still have picked up Bowie and Tait even without FEFA.

As said, McGlynn’s knowledge of youth football and player development is second to none at this level so I’m quite comfortable with him having a big say in the best way for the club to progress. He put the foundations of the old academy in place which helped produce the likes of Laidlaw, Mackie, Bates, Matthews, Callachan and Vaughan as well as making us the side to benefit most from FEFA. I feel he’ll make whatever solution we put in place work.

If the 400k a year costs of running an academy are true, I’m surprised Dunfermline think that is a viable option for them but if the Germans are happy to pick up the tab, fair play to them.

3 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

http://bit.ly/RRFCvDAFC

Link not letting me buy tickets in the McDermid, is there a seperate link for away fans?

7EAF9FE9-6766-4C23-ABC7-BA1A4DCFA67A.jpeg

Sigh.

There was a separate link for away tickets for the Hamilton and Aberdeen games. Wait 20 minutes or so and the club will correct the error and share it, I'm sure. 

Being suggested in newspaper article that we might have to rigourously scout boy's club and amateur football. Nothing wrong with that. Used to be the juniors and amateurs in  the past. Just a pity Val McDermid's dad isn't around when you need him?😊

Quick summary of todays (and recent) performances…
Tait - Report card states “must do better”. I seen something in him from his debut and has grown since then. The loss of Hendry has hampered his game significantly. He suits being able to play more freely, going forward. However when dropping deep to collect the balls from the centre backs, looks very nervous and is often giving the ball away. 5/10

Eh?? For me, I thought Tait was excellent against Aberdeen as well as doing his usual job, he almost covered the lack of Spencer in the middle of the park also, where kept things ticking over. Not to mention the sexy pass out wide to Zanatta before the foul for the freekick which led to the first goal.
He also received Premier Sports man of the match.
For a 19yr old, he’s well beyond his years, and thank f*ck we have him tied down until ‘24.

4 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Not working either.

Posted on social media that there is a problem and the ticketing company is currently working to fix. Know it is external but not a great look for Rovers on all this. 

Edited by roverthemoon

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Posted on social media that there is a problem and the ticketing company is currently working to fix. Know it is external but not a great look for Rovers on all this. 

I wonder how many times that phrase could be used to describe what happening this year.

The communications and engagement from the club are utter bollocks

1 minute ago, graeme_p said:

I wonder how many times that phrase could be used to describe what happening this year.

The communications and engagement from the club are utter bollocks

It’s just the small stuff. Got an email on Sunday promoting the Aberdeen game with 3pm kick off in the banner. Hastily followed up by one with the right time in it. Someone probably just used a template and forgot to change the time but just felt a bit shoddy. We’ve always been a bit amateurish since I’ve started supporting the club but the last few seasons this sort of stuff seemed to have been ironed out and we’d been excellent communication wise. Feels like it’s slipped back a bit post-lockdown. Not sure why. Don’t want to be too critical of the office staff as I know they’re a small team and often up against it.