The New Raith Rovers Thread

Excellent result today and completely deserved. Even though Aberdeen dominated possession in the first 45 I never really felt they were the far better team.

We sat back and looked to hit them on the break with us having the better chances despite going behind. I think McGlynn and the players realised they were there for the taking and stepped it up in the 2nd.

Another great result under the gaffer.

25 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The level of his negativity is ridiculous. Why not just support the team and the manager? We are supposed to be Raith Rovers “supporters”, aren’t we?

9CB7F4A0-7668-4410-A573-3E37CC699786.jpeg.fa8f1c623227404f25f30d96c456b003.jpeg

Although…

0ABE8E2D-4CDF-485E-AB34-106E63D26503.jpeg.f16c0b01ed179353c333b9b5063b0d70.jpeg

…I thought he preferred fannying about on the golf course?

Why not reply to the lad on twitter instead of taking a screen shot and putting it on this app like an utter coward ?

Quick summary of todays (and recent) performances…
MacDonald - Not much to say as had very little to do. 7/10
Tumilty - Excellent. Has an unreal engine, absolute shitehouse and a priority to get tied down to a longer deal. 8/10
Berra - Concerned about his age? Don’t be. Might not be captain but led by example. One of many MotM contenders. Won everything, drove the team on and pressed high constantly. 9/10
Bene - Back to his best in recent months and today was no different. Intercepted everything. 9/10
Dick - Solid. I was concerned about him signing but he’s happily proving me wrong. Stronger than KMacD defensively and pick and choses his moments to go forward. 8/10
BRS - Still has a lot to prove. We were never going to get a like-for-like Hendry and I feel better options were available even in league 1. He is however a bit of a unit, wins his fair share of headers but needs to distribute the ball far better and somehow become more mobile. 5/10
Matthews - To be honest I can’t really remember him doing much particularly good or bad today. None the less, one of the first names on the team sheet when fit and rightfully so. 6/10
Tait - Report card states “must do better”. I seen something in him from his debut and has grown since then. The loss of Hendry has hampered his game significantly. He suits being able to play more freely, going forward. However when dropping deep to collect the balls from the centre backs, looks very nervous and is often giving the ball away. 5/10
Connolly - Like the next name of the list, was somewhat disappointed when he signed. He has however really impressed me. He’s no afraid to get on the ball. Mostly picks the right pass and creates plenty of chances. 8/10
Zanatta - I really liked him when he had from Hearts, his career since then has flatlined and nothing screamed good enough. He is often frustrating and is the exact definition of a ‘confidence player’. When its not his day, he’ll over play, make wrong choices, over on under hit passes. Today however… Fantastic. Work rate unreal, and got the goal his performance deserved. 9/10
Varian - The lad gets a hard time. He’s a long way from the finished article but puts himself about and gives defenders a hard time, winning his fair share of knock ons. Hopefully his goal kicks him on. 7/10

Poplatnik - Struggled to understand him joining us but links up really well with bringing midfielders into play. Limited time today. 6/10
Arnott - Promising. Got about the midfield well. 6/10
Fotheringham - N/A.

Absolutely delighted with todays result and nothing less than we deserved. Roll on the Pars.

The pricing is one thing, but the other thing striking me is communication and engagement that has been much poorer than the last couple of seasons. Not that this is entirely upon a CEO, but the difference is noticeable. The pricing for the Hamilton game being a prime example here of something badly handled. 
What price were you expecting for the game when a season book is £300 [emoji849]

Sorry, but if you post your opinion publicly on social media then it’s fair game for it to be shared as an example of the utter relentless negativity of the Rovers support. The boy has put his name to it so it’s not as if he’s anything to hide.

Mind you, you didn’t have to travel over to Twitter to find Rover’s fans needlessly hating on the team. It’s all over the match thread. There has always been miserable c***s in our support but it appears to have reached absolute parody levels. Some folk seem to be actually willing the side to fail. 

Back in the real world, today was a great day to be a Rovers fan. A depleted squad playing a Premiership team assembled on a far superior budget to ours (even the replacements) and we outfought them over 90 minutes. We recovered from a poor first half and won the game. We reached the quarter finals of the League Cup for the first time since we won the fucking thing back in 94, when all of the young lads making the noise up the back of the stand probably weren’t even born. If you can’t find some joy in that then I would question why you even bother with football, never mind supporting a team like Raith Rovers. 

Edited by roverthemoon

Sorry, but if you post your opinion publicly on social media then it’s fair game for it to be shared as an example of the utter relentless negativity of the Rovers support. The boy has put his name to it so it’s not as if he’s anything to hide.
Mind you, you didn’t have to travel over to Twitter to find Rover’s fans needlessly hating on the team. It’s all over the match thread. There has always been miserable c***s in our support but it appears to have reached absolute parody levels. Some folk seem to be actually willing the side to fail. 

It is however very cowardly to come on to a football forum and hide behind an alias whilst slagging off someone on twitter when he could easily have replied direct to him on Twitter.

We're all entitled to our opinions whatever they are. I don't agree with what Ryan has put up there but he's still very much a Rovers fan and he's always been a decent guy when I've spoken to him. In all honesty, I've put up shite things on social media (often after a bevvy) and then at a later point realised it was shite. 

Conveniently enough, I can plug a wee bit I did here for my site. I'd love for folk to be more optimistic and obviously the start to the league won't have helped, but hopefully today will do somewhat to reassure fans that there's reasons to be optimistic about this Rovers team even if they don't reach the same heights as last season. 

1 minute ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

It is however very cowardly to come on to a football forum and hide behind an alias whilst slagging off someone on twitter when he could easily have replied direct to him on Twitter.

Perhaps he’s not actually on Twitter? Or doesn’t like confrontation? At the end of the day, does it matter?  I’m more bothered by our own support hating on our team regardless of what social media it appears on. 

16 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Back in the real world, today was a great day to be a Rovers fan. A depleted squad playing a Premiership team assembled on a far superior budget to ours (even the replacements) and we outfought them over 90 minutes. We recovered from a poor first half and won the game. We reached the quarter finals of the League Cup for the first time since we won the fucking thing back in 94, when all of the young lads making the noise up the back of the stand probably weren’t even born. If you can’t find some joy in that then I would question why you even bother with football, never mind supporting a team like Raith Rovers. 

Correct he's put his name to it, yet cowards on here like to anonymously call people out on there options. If you have one or want to make sly digs then at least have the courage to use your own name. This forum is littered with cowards haply calling people out hiding behind fake names.

1 minute ago, Hadji said:

Correct he's put his name to it, yet cowards on here like to anonymously call people out on there options. If you have one or want to make sly digs then at least have the courage to use your own name. This forum is littered with cowards haply calling people out hiding behind fake names.

Presume it’s your mate so absolutely no problem with you defending him. Regardless of how he went about it, the  point the original poster is making still stands though. There’s a section of our support that is relentlessly negative and almost willing the team to fail. After what McGlynn and Smith have done to turn this club around, after our performances last season and after a year deprived of watching our team, I find that attitude utterly bizarre. 

3 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Perhaps he’s not actually on Twitter? Or doesn’t like confrontation? At the end of the day, does it matter?  I’m more bothered by our own support hating on our team regardless of what social media it appears on. 

If you don't like confrontation then you don't anonymously make snide comments. And all of your above reasoning is the act of a coward. If your issue is him hating on his own team then go speak to the boy and ul quickly find out what his issues are rather than spouting off behind his back where ul learn nothing

4 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Presume it’s your mate so absolutely no problem with you defending him. Regardless of how he went about it, the  point the original poster is making still stands though. There’s a section of our support that is relentlessly negative and almost willing the team to fail. After what McGlynn and Smith have done to turn this club around, after our performances last season and after a year deprived of watching our team, I find that attitude utterly bizarre. 

You couldn't be more wrong, again if you'd take the time to ask the lad you would find out what his issues were and why he was so down about this season.

6 minutes ago, Hadji said:

You couldn't be more wrong, again if you'd take the time to ask the lad you would find out what his issues were and why he was so down about this season.

Honestly I’m not for having a go at anyone. We’ve all had shit to deal with this last year and it’s been rough on many fronts. All I want is for everyone to get behind the team in good moments and bad. McGlynn has worked wonders in his two spells in charge and should have earned our patience and unswerving support. Today was a great day. To be in that South Stand at full-time with the place just rocking. It was absolutely joyful. It almost brought a tear to my eye. That’s what I love about the Rovers. Folk from all walks of life but it doesn’t matter a f**k as we’re all just there to support this team. 

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Hope Hayes is ok, looked to be in a lot of distress but I'm unsure how it happened, did Arnott catch him or Hayes hit Arnott's foot in the follow through?

To me it appeared he simply landed and the ankle rolled before contact.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

I'm hoping the biggest difference with this years squad is a genuine plan B.  We mixed it up and went direct today when the usual passing game wasn't working.

Hopefully we can kick on from this.

41 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Getting back to the football, once we got in front I love how our passing style gives us the confidence to just keep possession and be comfortable. We stroked it around brilliantly and Aberdeen barely even threatened. No sense of panic at all.

Fair dos to McGlynn, he kept the attacking line up when I expected him to bring on Lang or McKay after Aberdeen brought on their big subs.