The New Raith Rovers Thread

So, with Vaughan out we have a couple of choices. Keatings is a similar, if less productive (so far) player to Vaughan, so we can plug him in. Alternately, we switch to a different approach, perhaps two up top (Poplatnik and Varian or Mitchell as the heavies), and play Connolly and Zanatta wide in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-4.

Of those two, the slightly riskier is the second, but the lack of playing time for Keatings suggests JMcG might not be totally confident in him. Additionally, Keatings for Vaughan certainly reduces some of the threat, pace and creativity that we loved last year.

So does JMcG use the Aberdeen match as a test for formation adjustments or simply plug in a replacement for Vaughan? Might he take the third course and try Varian for Vaughan without other changes? It certainly would be outside his normal position, but he has played as a second striker before…and on the other hand, he is reported to prefer his left foot, so might match well with Keatings in a front two.

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'd seen we're being linked with a guy that you had on loan from Leicester in 2016, Harry Panayiotou. Any idea what he's like?

Really nice lad, but didn't look anywhere near Premiership level.

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Really nice lad, but didn't look anywhere near Premiership level.

It seems like he'll be playing backup to Anderson and competition for Hamilton, hopefully he's kicked on in the last 5 years at least a bit then 

Edited by ATLIS

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Is this why he hasn't kicked a ball for Aldershot in recent games?

Possibly, I've only heard rumours we were sniffing about him but we signed Joel Nouble from Aldershot this season as well so possibly he's tipped us off on him? I'm imagining HP is possibly out of contract though

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Possibly, I've only heard rumours we were sniffing about him but we signed Joel Nouble from Aldershot this season as well so possibly he's tipped us off on him? I'm imagining HP is possibly out of contract though

Could be, his profile has been removed recently from the Shots OS and someone has heavily edited Wiki, it must have been done recently as he was there a few days ago.

11 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'd seen we're being linked with a guy that you had on loan from Leicester in 2016, Harry Panayiotou. Any idea what he's like?

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Really nice lad...

That's all you need to know. In all seriousness was held in high regard for one thing and that was stopping Rangers winning the league at Starks with a stupidely late equaliser. Apart from that and hitting the bar with a great hit in his first game I can't really remember if he had any other good games/moments. Hopefully he's kicked on since then otherwise he'll be well out his depth at Premiership level.

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Could be, his profile has been removed recently from the Shots OS and someone has heavily edited Wiki, it must have been done recently as he was there a few days ago.

That’s us just announced him there, seems to have come out of nowhere.

3 minutes ago, Raithie said:

That's all you need to know. In all seriousness was held in high regard for one thing and that was stopping Rangers winning the league at Starks with a stupidely late equaliser. Apart from that and hitting the bar with a great hit in his first game I can't really remember if he had any other good games/moments. Hopefully he's kicked on since then otherwise he'll be well out his depth at Premiership level.

Seems worth a punt if nothing else, 2 year deal with option of a 3rd so a standard enough deal from us. If he doesn’t impress he’ll be out on loan next season. Interestingly enough he’s got about 11 goals in 25 at international level for Saint Kitts and Nevis 

Livi can you loan us Harry please as we're gubbed with injuries yet again. 

I'm still bewildered by our recruitment this summer and with the loss now of Vaughan which is always a liklihood in all honesty.

Wonder why we didn't go for Gullan again, was he too expensive, did he not fancy it? 

13 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Livi can you loan us Harry please as we're gubbed with injuries yet again. 

I'm still bewildered by our recruitment this summer and with the loss now of Vaughan which is always a liklihood in all honesty.

Wonder why we didn't go for Gullan again, was he too expensive, did he not fancy it? 

Best we can do is Gavin Reilly who we’re trying to get out on loan until January. Him and Poplatnik up front and on you go :D 

Imagine the more defensive 3-4-3 will get an airing against Aberdeen, problem us up at ICT, despite Connolly and Zanatta doing some useful work there wasn't a focal point for our attack.

James Keatings will simply have to step up and play in the 10 role that was Vaughan's in a 4-2-3-1. With Matthews back we can at least rely on him and Tait... won't be as flashy as when Spencer is there but those two aren't a central mid pairing ro be sniffed at.

48 minutes ago, Michael W said:

He scored against Hibs in the play-off, didn't he? 

You're right so he did. Forgot about that. 

In other news Musonda has apparently had a set back and will be out for a further 6 weeks.