The New Raith Rovers Thread

24 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We really aren't far away - by the way things look so far anyway.  Solid at the back, good in possession and getting into good areas.  The final ball will come, I'm sure of that.

I too have reservations about a bit more presence up front.  I suspect that is what Varian is here for, and haven't really seen enough of him to see what he's about yet.  

I'd have been relatively happy to keep Ugwu, but I don't think either he or Duku would have given us what we are missing right now.

Really, Zanatta should have scored and then Alloa would have opened up.  They sat back and backed the box, something we wont come up against much this season.  

Poplatnik played well I thought and we looked poorer for him going off.  Didn't set the world on fire, but his movement was dragging defenders all over the place in he first half.

I'd rather be creating opportunities and playing well with the final product just alluding us, than the other way around at this stage. 

Agree with this. We had almost 50 shots across our 4 league cup games so it’s not like we aren’t creating chances which would be much more concerning.

People point to shots on target but two of our best chances on Saturday were shots off target. Varian putting over from a yard and Zanatta skying from 6 yards in the first half.

We played against a side who camped in their half and defended for their lives and we still found openings and created multiple chances on Saturday. There were 2 or 3 genuine sitters that go in 90% of the time and if they do, we view the game totally differently.

We certainly aren’t toothless in terms of creating chances which is encouraging but we do need to start converting more which is where, the legitimate, concern about our striking options comes from. However, strikers are confidence players more than any position, a couple of goals and they can look different players. If Varian/Keatings/Poplatnik can get off the mark early in the league they may well kick on. I don’t see us having the budget to bring in another striker so we have to hope they do.

30 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Ugwu scored five goals for us. One was a penalty. Of the other four, I think you can only really point to one as a possible "target man" style goal, where he headed in against Stirling Albion from two yards at a corner.

He barely played half a season for us though and he didn’t have a full pre-season. With a full season I think he’s a perfectly serviceable 10-15 goal a season centre forward. It’s not just about goals, of course, I thought he generally held the ball up very well and could bring other in. He would have at least posed more of a physical challenge to the Alloa defenders. I think we might bring somebody else in up front yet but at this stage I still maintain that Ugwu hasn’t really been replaced/should have been retained. As you say though it could easily be the case that we start clicking and a few of our attackers start hitting the back of the net with regularity and all this is put to bed.

I think Ugwu might be a potential miss but I don't think he'll get remotely near the same service he had last season with ourselves. As Enigma rightly pointed out he got limited game time and didn't have a pre season which will have hampered him.

Poplatnik looks reasonable enough but he strikes me as quite a selfless player - there were quite a lot of points on Saturday where he'd drop deep to help out or bring his team mates into play. If you asked about having any forward from last season I'd put Gullan top of the list. When we got them on the pitch together, he and Vaughan seemed to have a good understanding with each other.

I'm still confident we'll hit our stride soon enough and start converting chances. I'd be far more worried if we weren't getting into the right areas.

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm still confident we'll hit our stride soon enough and start converting chances. I'd be far more worried if we weren't getting into the right areas.

Yeah, I might not sound it but I’m overall very optimistic. I’d be more concerned if we were scoring but also conceding silly goals. Teams in this division will not find it easy getting past Berra, Bene and MacDonald. Musonda still to return!

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I’m sure I said it the time I’d have 100%  kept Ugwu, and for all the people saying they weren’t bothered to see him go he’s somebody we haven’t replaced, in that he offers something nobody else in our current squad does. He scored a few really lovely goals for us, assisted a good few too - there was a pass from quite a deep position against Queen of the South that sticks in the memory. I thought he was really coming onto a game towards the end of the season. It’s worth remembering he didn’t get a full pre-season, which we all know can have a big effect on a player.

Totally agree and said the same 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

We really aren't far away - by the way things look so far anyway.  Solid at the back, good in possession and getting into good areas.  The final ball will come, I'm sure of that.

I too have reservations about a bit more presence up front.  I suspect that is what Varian is here for, and haven't really seen enough of him to see what he's about yet.  

I'd have been relatively happy to keep Ugwu, but I don't think either he or Duku would have given us what we are missing right now.

Really, Zanatta should have scored and then Alloa would have opened up.  They sat back and backed the box, something we wont come up against much this season.  

Poplatnik played well I thought and we looked poorer for him going off.  Didn't set the world on fire, but his movement was dragging defenders all over the place in he first half.

I'd rather be creating opportunities and playing well with the final product just alluding us, than the other way around at this stage. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Would like to see poplatnik be a bit more selfish and shoot, I hope on Saturday it clicks and we give them a doing, don’t mean to sound negative we are definitely stronger defensively and hopefully the forwards click soon, the bald messiah will find the way 👍🏻

3 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Inferesting to see Kelty having tickets on sale and social media building up their game with Cowdenbeath from yesterday, whereas no communication yet from Raith.

Would hope we'd be doing what we can this week to ensure we get a 2000 crowd in for the first home league game in nearly 17 months. 

Tickets now available on the club website https://www.raithrovers.net/buy-tickets

Just got mine, as expected it's £20 for an adult

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

I was watching McGlynns interview after the Alloa game, he said we had 27 balls into the Alloa box, and of all the attacks not one conversion. WE NEED A TARGET MAN

Yes and no. You use the same pickup line 27 times and get turned down, you change lines and try a different approach. That could be a big, target man or a different approach than shelling crosses into the mixer.

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

Tickets now available on the club website https://www.raithrovers.net/buy-tickets

Just got mine, as expected it's £20 for an adult

2 clicks apart, you would think it would be easy to update 

Prices | Raith Rovers FC

Season 2021-2022
Season Ticket Prices*
All Stands Adult  £300
Senior Citizen (Over 65)  £195
Under 21 (those born on/after 1st July 2000 qualify for this category)  £150
Disabled (with carer free of charge subject to eligibility). Check here for the full policy) Priced as per age group
Under 16 (those born on/after 1st July 2005 qualify for this category) £50
Under 12 (those born on/after 1st July 2009 qualify for this category) £25
Standard Gate Admission Prices**
All Stands Adult £tbc
Parent & Child  £tbc
Senior Citizen (Over 65) £tbc
Under 21 (those born on/after 1st July 2000 qualify for this category) £tbc
Disabled (with carer free of charge subject to eligibility). Check here for the full policy) £tbc
Under 16 (those born on/after 1st July 2005 qualify for this category) £tbc 
Under 12 (those born on/after 1st July 2009 qualify for this category)  
Under 5s FREE

1 hour ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Assuming for season ticket holders it is just sit in your own seat and no reservation etc.?

We'll still be shown to allocated seats by stewards. I expect this will be the case until restrictions are further eased.

20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We'll still be shown to allocated seats by stewards. I expect this will be the case until restrictions are further eased.

Ah I see., cheers! Not made it to Starks yet, so unsure what to expect. 

With the 1m distancing now, anyone know if  the food and drink kiosks will be open? 

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

32 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Ah I see., cheers! Not made it to Starks yet, so unsure what to expect. 

With the 1m distancing now, anyone know if  the food and drink kiosks will be open? 

They were closed on Saturday v Alloa, you are allowed to bring in a plastic bottle

Raith v Hamilton

“There will be no food or drink kiosks open for this game and there will also be no smoking areas provided.”

Wouldn,t be difficult to add “you are permitted to bring in your own refreshments and snacks” just so supporters are aware

19 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

They were closed on Saturday v Alloa, you are allowed to bring in a plastic bottle

Thanks for the info mate. 

Absolutely shite, though. Love a burger and a juice to soak of the pints. Can’t see how this can’t be done safely, either. Perhaps opening up the exit gates and having the queue distanced back out the back of the stand if needed? Something!

Hopefully this is the last of this shite, however, and the kiosks will be open for the derby. 

I remember the times when signings weren't known about by the majority before they happened. They were exciting times. Its maybe something the club needs to look at.

Hopefully he can provide some good competition and make a difference when called upon.

22 hours ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

Hearing you boys are getting an exciting 18 year old attacking midfielder from us next week

Nailed that on the heid!

Any further information on his ability, skill, or other football attributes?