The New Raith Rovers Thread

As a neutral (Burnley) fan at the game, I thought you played pretty well, particularly in the first half.

I liked the way you looked to get it wide and have players on the overlap.

That said, you didn't have a player who could really troubled their tall central defenders, so that'd be a worry - the type of delivery wasn't very good.

Not as good in the second half, but clearly the better side still.

Me and my three kids enjoyed it, although it was a hard sell for me that we got to see penalties rather than 5 goals at my other two options (East Fife and Dunfermline), lol.

I also liked the ground: didn't realise it'd be on such a steep hill or so close to the railway line. We were in the McDermid stand which offered a great view of the action, although the net poles were a bit frustrating. Very friendly stewards, one of whom is a Burnley ST holder! We got a couple of free bottles of water, which was nice.

I'd say you'll have a decent enough season, top half, but whether that will be enough to get up through the play-offs, I don't know. You were the 3rd best team we saw in our four games (7 Scottish sides, plus Santa Coloma). I'd have you behind Hibernian and Dundee, but better than Queens Park, Alloa, Montrose and Annan, in that order.

Not sure if that makes any of you feel any better, but I thought I'd offer my two penneth...

34 minutes ago, barnseytheclaret said:

As a neutral (Burnley) fan at the game, I thought you played pretty well, particularly in the first half.

I liked the way you looked to get it wide and have players on the overlap.

That said, you didn't have a player who could really troubled their tall central defenders, so that'd be a worry - the type of delivery wasn't very good.

Not as good in the second half, but clearly the better side still.

Me and my three kids enjoyed it, although it was a hard sell for me that we got to see penalties rather than 5 goals at my other two options (East Fife and Dunfermline), lol.

I also liked the ground: didn't realise it'd be on such a steep hill or so close to the railway line. We were in the McDermid stand which offered a great view of the action, although the net poles were a bit frustrating. Very friendly stewards, one of whom is a Burnley ST holder! We got a couple of free bottles of water, which was nice.

I'd say you'll have a decent enough season, top half, but whether that will be enough to get up through the play-offs, I don't know. You were the 3rd best team we saw in our four games (7 Scottish sides, plus Santa Coloma). I'd have you behind Hibernian and Dundee, but better than Queens Park, Alloa, Montrose and Annan, in that order.

Not sure if that makes any of you feel any better, but I thought I'd offer my two penneth..

where you wearing your Burnley tops mate, think I saw you going in and I agree with your assessment seems pretty spot on

On 24/07/2021 at 16:29, raith1974 said:

We need to try and formation with 2 strikers. 3 at the back  5 in midfield and 2 up top. 

Perhaps 

Musonda when fit along with Berra and Bene

We already did that with McKay when he came on a couple of games ago. We’ll be using three CB’s this season is something JMcG has already said.

6 hours ago, barnseytheclaret said:

As a neutral (Burnley) fan at the game

6 hours ago, Been going too long said:

where you wearing your Burnley tops mate, think I saw you going in

I dunno like, think that might have been other Burnley fans taking in our game 😜

Inferesting to see Kelty having tickets on sale and social media building up their game with Cowdenbeath from yesterday, whereas no communication yet from Raith.

Would hope we'd be doing what we can this week to ensure we get a 2000 crowd in for the first home league game in nearly 17 months. 

I was watching McGlynns interview after the Alloa game, he said we had 27 balls into the Alloa box, and of all the attacks not one conversion. WE NEED A TARGET MAN

Edited by baillieinleeds

Inferesting to see Kelty having tickets on sale and social media building up their game with Cowdenbeath from yesterday, whereas no communication yet from Raith.
Would hope we'd be doing what we can this week to ensure we get a 2000 crowd in for the first home league game in nearly 17 months. 
It's a local derby and their first game in the SPFL. We've got a far more substantial core support than Kelty and it's a routine league match. We'll have our usual social media coverage out during the week but I don't see why we'd need to push the boat out. Our marketing is substantially better than it was a few years ago and it wouldn't surprise me if you see more folk along next Saturday than in the league Cup games.

3 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I was watching McGlynns interview after the Alloa game, he said we had 27 balls into the Alloa box, and of all the attacks not one conversion. WE NEED A TARGET MAN

We may well have put 27 balls into the Alloa box, but I thought, in the main, the quality of delivery was lacking. Too many either overhit or floated in, which was meat and drink to the big Alloa centre half Graham. 

I agree with most of your post including our communication having improved in recent years. 

I think the crowd will jump significantly from the league cup anyway due to season tickets being valid. 

Would just like us to get tix up for sale and start the advertising as early in the week as possible to maximise the potential crowd (within current limits)

20 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

We may well have put 27 balls into the Alloa box, but I thought, in the main, the quality of delivery was lacking. Too many either overhit or floated in, which was meat and drink to the big Alloa centre half Graham. 

This is the necessity in the acquisition of a target man don’t you think. A direct adversary to a tall defender. 

11 hours ago, tazz1903 said:

Knew you wouldn't be long 🤣

So answer the question posed to you. Should Raith Rovers have stepped aside for Failkirk, a bigger supported club? Do you miss the blue pound that much. 

32 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I’m sure I said it the time I’d have 100%  kept Ugwu, and for all the people saying they weren’t bothered to see him go he’s somebody we haven’t replaced, in that he offers something nobody else in our current squad does. He scored a few really lovely goals for us, assisted a good few too - there was a pass from quite a deep position against Queen of the South that sticks in the memory. I thought he was really coming onto a game towards the end of the season. It’s worth remembering he didn’t get a full pre-season, which we all know can have a big effect on a player.

Ugwu scored five goals for us. One was a penalty. Of the other four, I think you can only really point to one as a possible "target man" style goal, where he headed in against Stirling Albion from two yards at a corner. 

I can't think of anything we saw from Ugwu that would make me think he'd have been more likely to score on Saturday than Poplatnik or Vaughan. 

To swap a player from the other side, would Connor Sammon have scored with the chances we created on Saturday? He's almost certainly more likely to than anyone else who's been mentioned, but I also don't think we'd have created anywhere near as many chances because he won't link into the attacking play as fluidly. 

It's a balancing act, and I think you're looking for one of these forward players to click and start taking chances. It could be Zanatta, it could've Poplatnik, it could be Vaughan. I don't think it's just a case of "we need a target man!" without tearing up a strategy that took us to third last year. 

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I’m sure I said it the time I’d have 100%  kept Ugwu, and for all the people saying they weren’t bothered to see him go he’s somebody we haven’t replaced, in that he offers something nobody else in our current squad does. He scored a few really lovely goals for us, assisted a good few too - there was a pass from quite a deep position against Queen of the South that sticks in the memory. I thought he was really coming onto a game towards the end of the season. It’s worth remembering he didn’t get a full pre-season, which we all know can have a big effect on a player.

Yea I’m totally facing  up to fact that Ugwu hasn’t been replaced and will be missed. I so wanted Gullan to come back as his direct running terrified opposing defenders

We really aren't far away - by the way things look so far anyway.  Solid at the back, good in possession and getting into good areas.  The final ball will come, I'm sure of that.

I too have reservations about a bit more presence up front.  I suspect that is what Varian is here for, and haven't really seen enough of him to see what he's about yet.  

I'd have been relatively happy to keep Ugwu, but I don't think either he or Duku would have given us what we are missing right now.

Really, Zanatta should have scored and then Alloa would have opened up.  They sat back and backed the box, something we wont come up against much this season.  

Poplatnik played well I thought and we looked poorer for him going off.  Didn't set the world on fire, but his movement was dragging defenders all over the place in he first half.

I'd rather be creating opportunities and playing well with the final product just alluding us, than the other way around at this stage. 

Was a bit sad to see Ugwu go. He wasn’t a world beater but he gave us something different and had the occasional moment of brilliance. That said, I completely trust McGlynn’s judgement.  Watched Duku playing for ICT yesterday against Hearts and he flattered to deceive a little. Had one classic moment where he tried to replicate his goal for us against Hearts last year but it spun comically wide. 

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We really aren't far away - by the way things look so far anyway.  Solid at the back, good in possession and getting into good areas.  The final ball will come, I'm sure of that.

I too have reservations about a bit more presence up front.  I suspect that is what Varian is here for, and haven't really seen enough of him to see what he's about yet.  

I'd have been relatively happy to keep Ugwu, but I don't think either he or Duku would have given us what we are missing right now.

Really, Zanatta should have scored and then Alloa would have opened up.  They sat back and backed the box, something we wont come up against much this season.  

Poplatnik played well I thought and we looked poorer for him going off.  Didn't set the world on fire, but his movement was dragging defenders all over the place in he first half.

I'd rather be creating opportunities and playing well with the final product just alluding us, than the other way around at this stage. 

Totally not complaining about the manner of our play. We are very attack minded which is brilliant. We just need an experienced target man to lay it all of to the whippets in the team. 

albeit that’s easier said than done. 

Edited by baillieinleeds