The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
Simon Ferry is a moron, like that idiot at East Fife, Denholm.
I'm pretty sure that sort of fan behaviour is common of football fans pretty much everywhere. 

What's this about?

15 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Both have done well enough in the past before but for some reason people were acting like we'd brought back Scott Roberts and Chris Johnstone. It was similar when it was announced we'd brought Berra in on a PCA. People were right on saying he'd not be good enough and that he was past it. With Berra he's far more suited to a team like ourselves compared to a club like Hearts who'll be liable to be playing a higher line (see the Connor Shields goal at Tynecastle for example). There's no reason either Zanatta or Connolly can't kick on and do well for us but it would be a lot more helpful if some fans weren't on their back before we've even kicked a ball in the league. 

Today reminded me that for all I've missed the live experience of matches, there's definitely a small subsection of our support who are dour c***s who slaughter players for very little. The first half we were slicing through the Alloa defence at times and really should have scored. You've then go people screaming at players that they're "fucking stupid" or shite when there's a slight breakdown in play. This isn't unique to ourselves of course: I saw an interview in the Summer with Simon Ferry who commented on it - there's an element in the Scottish game where if a player makes a mistake they'll be shot down and it doesn't do any favours in terms of confidence. 

I felt a lot has been made of Hendry, Armstrong and Kieran MacDonald leaving but today showed that we've kept a lot of important figures like Tumilty and Jamie MacDonald. Liam Dick had his best game yet in a Rovers shirt and Christophe Berra looks to have given our defence a new level of confidence. I'm confident that we can make things right and start taking our chances. On another afternoon we'd have won that by a couple of goals. I'm confident we'll come good in terms of the front line. 

Berra isn’t the quickest player on the park, but he reads the game well. Alloa came today and sat really deep at times, throwing bodies on the line 6 yards from goal. We struggled to break that down, but at the same time, never really looked like we would concede.
The strikers like keatings and poplatnik seem like they are there as someone to link play, have their back to, rather than score a lot of goals. Our midfield look really comfortable on the ball and they spent a lot of time on the move, creating space to take the ball and get us forward. Overall it was a positive performance and can see a lot of our games this season being tight with maybe only a goal in it.

Can’t remember who it was, but there was an interview with an ex-player last season who said that he thought Rovers might not have produced the level of football they did last season if there had been a crowd. As there is no way the crowd would  have been patient or tolerant of mistakes. Hopefully we don’t find that having fans back becomes a hinderance. Don’t understand talk of hating one of our players or calling them rancid. We’ve played 4 competitive games, are unbeaten and not conceded a goal. Give the squad a chance at least. 

I fundamentally don't understand the psyche of someone who couldn't get to a football game for 500 days and then comes back only to berate their own players. It baffles me. 
Iv never really understood why people do it during a game. We can all talk about how x y and z isn't doing well or isn't very good away from a game, but to spend money to essentially just berate a player every time they get on the ball because "they've spent their money and can say what they want" is baffling.

45 minutes ago, Michael W said:

After finishing second last season, another play-off finish really ought to be the aim for this season. 

Not saying it'll be  a total failure if we don't, but a 6th place finish for example would be pretty disappointing. I am however not convinced we will get there at the moment. 

We finished third remember…😂

Thought we played some tidy stuff in the 1st half and ripped Alloa a new one but totally lacked in the final 3rd.

Second half thought we were disappointing and totally lacked in ideas.

Never thought much of Zanatta when he was with us the first time and thats not really changed much on what i,ve seen so far..He saw a lot of the ball today but no end product.

We look pretty sound defensively but cant see where the goals are going to come from

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Both have done well enough in the past before but for some reason people were acting like we'd brought back Scott Roberts and Chris Johnstone. It was similar when it was announced we'd brought Berra in on a PCA. People were right on saying he'd not be good enough and that he was past it. With Berra he's far more suited to a team like ourselves compared to a club like Hearts who'll be liable to be playing a higher line (see the Connor Shields goal at Tynecastle for example). There's no reason either Zanatta or Connolly can't kick on and do well for us but it would be a lot more helpful if some fans weren't on their back before we've even kicked a ball in the league. 

I don’t think it’s really a case of being on somebody’s back before they’ve kicked a ball more so a case that fans expectations of who we should be signing are almost always higher than who we usually end up signing in actuality, but as you rightly point out Connolly and Zanatta came in as known quantities so fans were entitled and perfectly able to give a reasoned opinion on those two. For what it’s worth I’ve been really very impressed with Connolly, he seems to me to have improved since his first spell with us and looks a very intelligent player now. Berra’s been absolutely majestic, though I was delighted when we initially signed him. When Zanatta signed, however, I was a bit disappointed as I thought there is a player who seems something of a notable downgrade on last season’s wingers namely Armstrong, Kennedy or Ross. Unfortunately he’s done nothing yet to make me believe otherwise and I’ve found him very frustrating to watch so far.

To be honest if we had signed Chis Johnson and Scott Roberts again I’m sure there would have been certain people on here saying “Just give the boy a chance!”

42 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I fundamentally don't understand the psyche of someone who couldn't get to a football game for 500 days and then comes back only to berate their own players. It baffles me. 

I think there’s a difference between somebody berating their own player during a game, which I can’t think that I’ve every knowingly done and likewise can’t get my head around, and expressing some reservations/frustrations about his play on a fans forum.

Edited by Enigma

16 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I think there’s a difference between somebody berating their own player during a game, which I can’t think that I’ve every knowingly done and likewise can’t get my head around, and expressing some reservations/frustrations about his play on a fans forum.

Oh, absolutely. 

I don't agree with the earlier comment that Zanatta is lazy, I think his issues are more complex than that, but I think it's absolutely fair game to come on here after a game and debate it. I'm sure some players will let curiosity get the better of them and will have a peak at sites like this on occasion, but they've really only got themselves to blame in that scenario. Discussing the negatives of players also serves a purpose here, in providing most of us with a distraction from the all-encompassing hellscapes that are our real lives on this dreadful cursed island. 

At a game, though? I find it impossible to fathom. There are literally eleven guys out there, next to the ones you like, who are trying to defeat your guys. Shout at them! People booing and loudly criticising their own players can only contribute in a negative way. While I'm sure there might be one or two players who thrive on trying to shove it in the faces of critics in their own "support", I don't think that's a particularly productive atmosphere to promote, and I'm sure their numbers pale in comparison to those who find that the criticism impacts their confidence and ability to play to their full potential. 

Someone cleverer and more erudite than me (Hey, Yoss! Yoo-hoo!) could probably make an argument for football grounds being one of the few acceptable outlets for a large number of men in 2021 to release any anger they've internalised about every aspect of their lives, but I won't be the one to do it... 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Can’t remember who it was, but there was an interview with an ex-player last season who said that he thought Rovers might not have produced the level of football they did last season if there had been a crowd. As there is no way the crowd would  have been patient or tolerant of mistakes. Hopefully we don’t find that having fans back becomes a hinderance. Don’t understand talk of hating one of our players or calling them rancid. We’ve played 4 competitive games, are unbeaten and not conceded a goal. Give the squad a chance at least. 

I will say that the playing it out from the back stuff looks fine while watching on TV but not so comfortable when you see us doing it in person. It cost us goals last season but we could continue doing it because there was no negative reaction. Once we get caught out and concede that way this season I don't think it will be tolerated for much longer. 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Mate I think zanatta is 💩, I don’t boo him all game, hope he comes good. It happens it’s part of football, nothing too baffling really

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I will say that the playing it out from the back stuff looks fine while watching on TV but not so comfortable when you see us doing it in person. It cost us goals last season but we could continue doing it because there was no negative reaction. Once we get caught out and concede that way this season I don't think it will be tolerated for much longer. 

It helped retain possession/create far more goals than it lost us, but as you say yet some fans most likely won’t tolerate it.  There will no doubt be the inevitable cries of ‘get it up the park’ if we pass it around for any length of time also.  Throw in those who dish out abuse to our players if they make a mistake or don’t reach some pre-determined standard of performance then it’s kind of a depressing thought.  Hopefully we can recapture the sort of positive support we had before things shut down because of COVID with the young guys helping create a great atmosphere. 

50 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Thought we played some tidy stuff in the 1st half and ripped Alloa a new one but totally lacked in the final 3rd.

Second half thought we were disappointing and totally lacked in ideas.

Never thought much of Zanatta when he was with us the first time and thats not really changed much on what i,ve seen so far..He saw a lot of the ball today but no end product.

We look pretty sound defensively but cant see where the goals are going to come from

This 👍🏻

25 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

.omeone cleverer and more erudite than me (Hey, Yoss! Yoo-hoo!) could probably make an argument for football grounds being one of the few acceptable outlets for a large number of men in 2021 to release any anger they've internalised about every aspect of their lives, but I won't be the one to do it... 

Read an interesting point with regards to this and the behaviour of men, throughout the games history, especially the further back you go, football was the only place males could show anguish, heartbreak, sadness, anger etc in public. 

The negativity on this is wild, typically we’ve finished bottom/2nd bottom in the previous groups we’ve been in. We’ve topped the group without conceding a goal. Let’s be a bit more optimistic on that front - 4 games away from a League Cup final, we’re halfway there!

Read an interesting point with regards to this and the behaviour of men, throughout the games history, especially the further back you go, football was the only place males could show anguish, heartbreak, sadness, anger etc in public. 
Did it include anything on sectarianism etc? Genuine question. Iv found a few of the people I know who are fairly intelligent and generally good people become sectarian, racist etc when it comes to football. Something I'd assume most can agree with.

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Imagine all those wars taking place throughout time and we had to wait for football to be invented so mere males could show emotion.