The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Raithie said:

What's random about it? Because you don't recognise their names from another club? I'm sure you posted not long ago you don't want us signing some journeyman so what exactly would you prefer? 

Personally I don't understand why we haven't just been helping ourselves to the best players from the Euros.

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Where’s your evidence, or is it mere speculation??

Evidence would be Mahady no under 21 caps, no first team football or reserve team football to base his progress on. Varian scores goals in U23 team when only 18, capped at U21 level even though he's only 18. Evidence would also suggest that Mitchell is perhaps a better prospect than Mahady as he looks like he may be part of the 1st team squad this season. 

I wasn’t trying to be funny. It was probably a daft question  anyway. It just seems totally random to sign total unknowns. Haven’t we learned about that when we signed Mendy. Thankfully it’s short term. Snow does concern me. He’s done nothing of note. I can’t see him being a beacon of hope. That’s all. 
If you speak to anyone connected with Raith Rovers and ask them about how committed the manager is they'll tell you he's second to none. He's not always going to get out right but it's ridiculous to suggest a man who was chief scout for Celtic hasn't learned from signing Mendy when we bring in someone who you're unfamiliar with. He'll have watched videos, connected with other coaches, watched the players train and then watched them either in friendlies or bounce games before making a decision.

On 16/07/2021 at 18:33, Raith Against The Machine said:

IMG_20210716_183119.jpg.b01c8066206b1491e8f541f5912b24bf.jpg

Two number 5s listed. What a shambles... 

No Keatings is a bit of a concern ahead of the Livi game, where we won't have Poplatnik. Hopefully just a minor thing keeping him out tonight. 

8 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I think Davie or Niall mentioned on Friday that he had also picked up a wee knock. Either way, I'm not sure we'll see him tonight. 

The arrival of Varian removes the jeopardy to a fair extent. Presumably he's coming in to be the third "number 9" and he'll take that role tonight ahead of the unchanged attacking midfield three. 

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

If we followed that policy we would never have signed Musonda, Ugwu or Duku last year who all contributed in some way to a very enjoyable season. 

Exactly!
To add to that list of unheard of’s :

Marvin Andrews, Tony Rougier, Paquito and to a degree Nisbet. Then there’s the loan signings who were either totally unknown or barely heard of like: Hendry, Gullan, Russell, Goodwillie and Ethan Ross.

The simple facts of life are that Rovers are not a big club and survive to a large extent living on scraps. The mark of a good housekeeper/cook is putting good food on the table while hampered with a constricted budget.  That’s John McGlynns job to try to bring in a squad on a lower budget than perhaps 4 or more of the other teams in our league. By my reckoning there were as many as 7 teams with bigger budgets than us last season and yet we finished above 5 of them.  
After doing so well last season, this season we perhaps have a bigger budget and more pulling power for bringing in better players, hopefully we see the fruits of that over the season, that is not a license to spend at will.
John McGlynn has been fortunate in having Nisbet, Hendry and to some extent Bowie but he brought in Macca, Tumilty, Musonda, Tait, Ross, Kennedy,  Gullan, Anderson and McLean, by the law of averages he won’t get it right every time so all we can hope for is his being right most of the time. This absolutely goes for our new signings, last season Musonda was a great signing and lo he’s still here! Manny and Gozie were decent but not such successes and….they’re both away.  Trust in McGlynn.

It astounds me that people still equate players footballing ability and suitability for the Rovers with whether they personally have heard of them are not. Presumably they were asleep when the likes of Rudi Skacel was playing for us?

Happy to trust McGlynn with whatever signing he makes, regardless of whether I’d heard of them or not. I’m sure some will work out whilst others don’t, but his track record in his two spells as manager suggests his judgement might just be better than ours. 

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

The simple facts of life are that Rovers are not a big club and survive to a large extent living on scraps. The mark of a good housekeeper/cook is putting good food on the table while hampered with a constricted budget.  That’s John McGlynns job to try to bring in a squad on a lower budget than perhaps 4 or more of the other teams in our league. By my reckoning there were as many as 7 teams with bigger budgets than us last season and yet we finished above 5 of them...

This absolutely. McGlynn has worked developing and signing players which turn out to be the envy of bigger clubs.

14 hours ago, grumswall said:

Bowie was a bit unique in that he was physically better developed than most his age. He had the raw ability to back it up as well. Same has rung true with tait in that he has the raw technical ability. I'm maybe one of the few who think it, but I do think Jack Smith has that raw ability as well. He was permanently injured though. Coulson and mahady going to Cowden will hopefully see them toughen up and get used to the adult game. I'm quite curious to see what happens with arnott. He's probably not quite ready for first team football, but mcglynn rates him as a prospect. We're also short in cm though so does he put him out on loan to get games under his belt or...

Agree on Jack Smith, if he gets a run of healthy play, we’ll look like we let a good player go, but we tried.

Armott, I suspect, is hostage to team needs and Ross Matthews toe. Get Ross back and I suspect we’ll do a short-term loan of Arnott, regardless, I’d expect the Rovers to announce a contract with Arnott before December, given JMcG pronouncements. A loan for Arnott would likely be sought at League One level, much like could happen with Mitchell if they decide they have enough forwards.

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

If you speak to anyone connected with Raith Rovers and ask them about how committed the manager is they'll tell you he's second to none. He's not always going to get out right but it's ridiculous to suggest a man who was chief scout for Celtic hasn't learned from signing Mendy when we bring in someone who you're unfamiliar with. He'll have watched videos, connected with other coaches, watched the players train and then watched them either in friendlies or bounce games before making a decision.

Totally agree in Mcglynn we trust, he won’t always be right but mostly he is 

27 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Agree on Jack Smith, if he gets a run of healthy play, we’ll look like we let a good player go, but we tried.

Armott, I suspect, is hostage to team needs and Ross Matthews toe. Get Ross back and I suspect we’ll do a short-term loan of Arnott, regardless, I’d expect the Rovers to announce a contract with Arnott before December, given JMcG pronouncements. A loan for Arnott would likely be sought at League One level, much like could happen with Mitchell if they decide they have enough forwards.

I work beside jack smith’s gran, he was always injured and will probably benefit from only part time training, as his body couldn’t cope well with it. I doubt he will be in full time professional football again tbh, I don’t get the moaning about bringing in varian and loaning out Mahady, as others have said he plays for a bigger club, capped internationally and is further on in his development. Mahady / Coulson need game time and think manager has done the right thing . No point them sitting on our bench as they don’t look ready for the championship just yet

Edited by Been going too long

16 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I work beside jack smith’s gran, he was always injured and will probably benefit from only part time training, as his body couldn’t cope well with it. I doubt he will be in full time professional football again tbh, I don’t get the moaning about bringing in varian and loaning out Mahady, as others have said he plays for a bigger club, capped internationally and is further on in his development. Mahady / Coulson need game time and think manager has done the right thing . No point them sitting on our bench as they don’t look ready for the championship just yet

That’s the problem with being competitive without a reserve squad, we have little ability to offer decent game opportunities to young players we want to develop…and that’s our best path to affordable talent and possible transfer/training fees if they move up, a la Bowie (and Tait?).

I'd heard we were the main commentary tonight on Radio Scotland but can't see it on their schedule. 

Edit: scrap that, it is there. Sportsound on from 7pm.

Edited by Raithie

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That’s the problem with being competitive without a reserve squad, we have little ability to offer decent game opportunities to young players we want to develop…and that’s our best path to affordable talent and possible transfer/training fees if they move up, a la Bowie (and Tait?).

Your right and if we can’t run a reserve team then loaning them out is the next best option, I’m not 💯 sure but rumours fife elite is folding so we may be entering a team into the under 20’s league ( have heard east fife and pars are) so if lad is 18 there is a bit of room for development before they get into team.