The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

He said all the right things but I couldn't help but get the impression that he couldn't be arsed. 

There was a definite lack of enthusiasm,  but I'm not too concerned by it.The questioning wasn't exhilerating either. I don't think he's likely to turn out to be a Duku  -  "Manny are you still playing!".

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Declan McManus has scored in European competition tonight. 

Not something I ever thought I'd write. 

I can't believe TNS paid £60,000 for him. I don't like the humphy backit buzzard obviously, but good luck to him, I hope the Welsh happy with him.

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

So Alloa beat Livingston but lost to Cowdenbeath and Brechin! I’ve absolutely no idea what to expect tomorrow or Saturday. 

I'm predicting some pints of Tennents in the HB at 5pm on Sat 😉

4 hours ago, spot on said:

In fairness to both and to most new signings for that matter, the same boring droll  questions they are asked does not give them much opportunity to come across any different.

I’d be asking them if they know what a ‘troafe’ is (or however you spell it). The Raith Tv boy used it in both of our last games as well as the Davo interview!

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:
I got the impression that he’s wondering “what the hell am I doing here”
what gets me is we let two of our kids go out on loan and brought some other teams kids in their place. That’s assuming we get Fotheringham. I’d rather we got Gullan back. 

You do realise that players of the same age can be at different levels of ability? Mcglynn has already stated that our younger players will go out on loan because they need more game time. That suggests they wouldn't get it here because they aren't ready to play championship level football. Bringing in an u21 internationalist, would suggest he has more experience at a similar age and may be a bit further on in his development.

Exactly this. Mahady and Coulson (plus Arnott and Bow, for that matter) are all Modern Apprentices signed through May 2022. The MA’s are signed for buttons in exchange for getting full time training with a professional team and a chance to develop and be seen. We really need to see them playing to see if we have the next Bowie or Tait among them. Last year we had very few opportunities to let our young players get any experience and views, so this is a great way to get them ready for a test in January. That way we can decide if we want to sign them as full time players going forward or let them leave, like Jack Smith did. Development of young talent is a hugely important part of our long term plan to develop our way to the Premiership and a sound financial footing. If they show well in Cowdenbeath and then back at SP in January, expect them to be signed to a new contract to protect our investment…and if they are clearly not likely to play at the Championship level or above, then we can cut them free and use the spots freed up for new candidates.

Bowie was a bit unique in that he was physically better developed than most his age. He had the raw ability to back it up as well. Same has rung true with tait in that he has the raw technical ability. I'm maybe one of the few who think it, but I do think Jack Smith has that raw ability as well. He was permanently injured though. Coulson and mahady going to Cowden will hopefully see them toughen up and get used to the adult game. I'm quite curious to see what happens with arnott. He's probably not quite ready for first team football, but mcglynn rates him as a prospect. We're also short in cm though so does he put him out on loan to get games under his belt or...

4 hours ago, philpy said:

Aye, seems a good player, but can he do it on a cold, rainy Tuesday night in Stoke??

There’s your starter question there. Used it up on Blaise already though.

Bowie and Tait were lucky that we were a level lower as well as having some ability. I.doubt either would have had the same first team opportunities if they were coming through now.
I'm not sure zannata or Connolly are any better than Bowie was tbh.

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm no expert, but I can't help but think it's because the players we are bringing in are better than the ones we are loaning out. 

Where’s your evidence, or is it mere speculation??

8 hours ago, grumswall said:
9 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:
I got the impression that he’s wondering “what the hell am I doing here”
what gets me is we let two of our kids go out on loan and brought some other teams kids in their place. That’s assuming we get Fotheringham. I’d rather we got Gullan back. 

You do realise that players of the same age can be at different levels of ability? Mcglynn has already stated that our younger players will go out on loan because they need more game time. That suggests they wouldn't get it here because they aren't ready to play championship level football. Bringing in an u21 internationalist, would suggest he has more experience at a similar age and may be a bit further on in his development.

It’s about opinions. If our kids weren’t good enough McGlynn should’ve released them. Bowie has played in the U21’s and hasn’t had a lick of first team action. Has Varion played first team football with Stoke?? I’m asking as I don’t know

19 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

It’s about opinions. If our kids weren’t good enough McGlynn should’ve released them. Bowie has played in the U21’s and hasn’t had a lick of first team action. Has Varion played first team football with Stoke?? I’m asking as I don’t know

It's not so binary a choice as good enough or not. It's about stages of development. McGlynn keeps the guys around who he thinks have the potential to make it in the game, but at the same time recognising they need game time to develop. That doesn't mean throwing them in at the deep end in the championship.

Varian has played regular U23 football for Stoke and been capped for the ROI U21s. In his time on the pitch vs. Hibs he at least showed a good awareness of where to be and what runs to make.

Luke Mahady's got far less competitive football thanks to a lack of reserve football, and was described by Cowden fans as 'raw' - I.e. he's big enough and fast enough but lacking experience to play the game well competitively yet.

It's not exactly rocket science to suggest that Varian might be a bit further on in his development and more ready for what we need than Mahady. Which is no slight on the latter, and by no means requires that Mahady be written off.

Edited by renton

41 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Where’s your evidence, or is it mere speculation??

Pretty much this👇

17 minutes ago, renton said:

Varian has played regular U23 football for Stoke and been capped for the ROI U21s. In his time on the pitch vs. Hibs he at least showed a good awareness of where to be and what runs to make.

Luke Mahady's got far less competitive football thanks to a lack of reserve football, and was described by Cowden fans as 'raw' - I.e. he's big enough and fast enough but lacking experience to play the game well competitively yet.

It's not exactly rocket science to suggest that Varian might be a bit further on in his development and more ready for what we need than Mahady. Which is no slight on the latter, and by no means requires that Mahady be written off.

Varian is playing regularly at the level above Bowie was last season and he's roughly the same age. 

If Mahady was at that level just now we'd likely have English clubs looking at signing him. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

It's not so binary a choice as good enough or not. It's about stages of development. McGlynn keeps the guys around who he thinks have the potential to make it in the game, but at the same time recognising they need game time to develop. That doesn't mean throwing them in at the deep end in the championship.

I wasn’t trying to be funny. It was probably a daft question  anyway. It just seems totally random to sign total unknowns. Haven’t we learned about that when we signed Mendy. Thankfully it’s short term. Snow does concern me. He’s done nothing of note. I can’t see him being a beacon of hope. That’s all. 

5 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I wasn’t trying to be funny. It was probably a daft question  anyway. It just seems totally random to sign total unknowns. Haven’t we learned about that when we signed Mendy. Thankfully it’s short term. Snow does concern me. He’s done nothing of note. I can’t see him being a beacon of hope. That’s all. 

Any player is a total unknown until you see them play a bit. Vaughan was a total unknown, Callachan and Bowie as well. The various loanees we've had - both good and not so great were total unknowns.

As for the beacon of hope comment - what is it you are actually expecting here?

35 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

What's random about it? Because you don't recognise their names from another club? I'm sure you posted not long ago you don't want us signing some journeyman so what exactly would you prefer? 

39 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

It just seems totally random to sign total unknowns. Haven’t we learned about that when we signed Mendy.

If we followed that policy we would never have signed Musonda, Ugwu or Duku last year who all contributed in some way to a very enjoyable season.